No More Rolando 3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by highlyrefinedpirate, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Won't work but signed anyway.

2. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Another bit of proof that ngmoco only cares about the profits it can reap in from a better pricing model. if it means a poorer gaming experience or no game at all, they don't care.

3. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Hodapp defends ngmoco. Surprise.

4. Yeah, but that's a friendly way of saying "it will never come out".
    I could be wrong, but I have the feeling we won't see R3 anytime soon

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Sorry, I forgot to mention how greedy ngmoco is in my previous post!!! Please forgive me!!!

6. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    You don't have to pull that shit with me I'm just saying you will never say you don't like a move by ngmoco. There's no way a gamer could appreciate ngmoco's recent decisions yet you find a way to. I don't care if they're making more money, do you as a gamer like freemium games?

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Any time soon is hardly the same as never.

Just think for a little while: how exactly do you rationalize that a publisher would not want to publish the next installment of an intellectual property they have so far invested the most in for development, branding and marketing?

Following the same train of thought, here's the same rationale in other words: "OMG, Nintendo said they no longer sell games on DVD-disks! That means there will never be a new Mario!"

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes, I do like freemium games because it allows me to play them with friends of mine who would never normally buy "premium" priced iPhone games. For instance, if TouchPets was $10, the only people I'd have to play it with would be random people from TouchArcade. Since it's free, nearly everyone I know with an iPhone has it installed.

I experienced a similar thing with Eliminate, only on a smaller scale because I know fewer people interested in FPS deathmatch games. Eliminate being free totally facilitated a ton of really fun online matches between friends of mine that again, likely would have never occured if Eliminate was $10.

I usually am so busy with all kinds of different games for TouchArcade stuff that I rarely have time to fully play a game through unless I'm doing an in-depth review of it. These "play for a few minutes every day" freemium games are really easy to get in to, and every day I usually check out what my dog is doing, do some training in Epic Pet Wars, etc.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Here's one way: now I can spend that $10 I'd have held onto for R3 on other games! ;)

They are most welcome to act like a corporation, and I am at liberty to vote with my wallet. :)

Sad to say I liked R1 a lot better than R2, so I'm not sure if R3 would have topped the original either. :(

10. Bok Choy

Bok Choy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Student
    NGMoco, incredibly greedy. I deleted Eliminate.

11. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I guess you enjoy them too much, and you have to play when your energy is full, just to avoid loosing time for a recharge.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Nah I never really got too wrapped up in the whole maximizing my energy thing. You slowly get upgrades for your dude regardless of how tightly you micromanage your energy allotments for the day. I could see Eliminate getting expensive if you want to try to power game it, but all I ever do is load it up, play until I get bored, and then do the same a few days later. Whether or not I have energy isn't really a concern since you can always just play without limitation.

13. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    #73 SarcasticGamer, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    My problem with the freemium model is I never get to feel that I own the game. It felt like a rent, I spent aprox. 30$ on eliminate and I totally felt like an ass now for doing so, and my brother forced me to buy some food for his dog on touch pets :) One thing that scares me if this freemium model took off is if other devs started to shift to this model as well. Right now knowing that Rolando 3 is no longer in development I totally stop caring about ngmoco cuz honestly aside from that series all their other games are just average.

14. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I don't have a problem with freemium games, in fact I like that I can try the game and buy more if I like it. Its like a lite and a game combined in one.

It's ngmocos pricing structure I have a problem with.

I don't like being limited on how long I can play and have to pay to keep playing.
    Yes, I enjoyed Eliminate, but it was ultimately hindered by the fact that I could only play three games a day.
    I would much rather have paid $5-$10 to play as much as I want.

Paying to play on an iPhone just seems like a waste of money when I could buy another (full) game with that same money.

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #75 Gabrien, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    I'm getting real tired of reading all the "how's it a scam, you don't HAVE to pay!" and "I played since release and haven't payed a cent!" arguments.

Guess what? Scams aren't designed to target EVERYBODY. Mainly just the ignorant, the gullible, the uninformed. Congrats on not being one of the above! That doesn't make what ngmoco is doing right, or any less despicable.

In the case of Touch Pets, their strategy amounts to no less than emotional blackmail. Sound silly to you? Ridiculous? Guess what? Works on a lot of people none the less. Proof is in ngmoco's pockets.

Aside from the moral issues involved, continue to support this business model at your peril. Step 1: No Rolando 3. What's next? You think ngmoco is the only company who like money enough to sell their souls for it? Think again. Support this and watch countless others jump onto the bandwagon. Is that really where you want the app store to be heading?

I, for one, will not touch anything ngmoco produce with a ten foot pole. And that includes Plus as by signing up to it you still support them. Now you all make your own decisions.

16. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Isn't OpenFeint X all about promoting freemium games? Are you going to boycott them too?

17. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Freemium in this thread means pay-to-play, now what is that freemium games you are talking about?

18. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    How is that different than ngmoco's strategy?

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    In the scheme of things, I'm more disappointed that Rolando 3 isn't coming out. As for the pay-for-play/nickel and dime strategy, I think ngmoco is doing what it has to do from a business sense. It's not cheap to develop games, and the piracy needs addressing. Of course, I wouldn't want every dev to go this route, but it's yet another option for us.

20. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    They aren't ditching normal OF...