Universal NO THING - Surreal Arcade Trip (by Evil Indie Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Evil Indie Games, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Evil Indie Games

Evil Indie Games Well-Known Member

We are working on new challenge mode for future update but in this version there is something like endless mode, because there is level 11 which can be played like endless level (I don't want to spoil/reveal too much).
    You go seamless from one level to another, so you can start your "endless" journey from level 1,2,3... with the story finale on level 11, and play more, more, more to get more points.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    this is quite simply brilliant. If Michael Brough made runners in 3d then they'd look and sound like this. Great game - I like it more than the Laser Dog one this week.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Oh my, finally! Your tip clicked with me.
    Than it took a while how/when to use it the best, and now i'm caught in a loop on level 4 at 99% (if i come that far).
    Voice: Take another round with me.
    Can't find the exit...again, please, little tip?

Endless mode? I don't know if listening to the music counts up to the game's time, otherwise i spent 6 hours!
    *cough cough* and i'm not the worst player in this genre.

4. Evil Indie Games

On level 4 the voice should say:
    go again with me
    for the joy of queen

Level 4. I think the best message for level 4 would be just go forward or up through all offices, go, sometimes fall but go, don't stay in small loops, don't turn around in small loops, you have to survive all day... Did you see the trees on level 4?

5. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Oh, right: go again with me...
    It seemed like i heard this 3-4 times, and that's what made me think of being in a loop...than i died AFTER i've seen the trees. Maybe only a few seconds more...or maybe a last tricky jump with a quick turn...?

Really, in very few occasions (in my 7 years of ios gaming) i watched a playthrough video, rather than to abandon a game. Hope i won't need one here, because this level 4 is trippy as hell. And this game is so worth it, in my books. Lol, and obviously 7 levels more to come.

6. Evil Indie Games

Try to collect red cubes when you go fast to limit your speed.

It's awesome that you have seen the trees!
    You're almost there!
    :)

7. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    The satisfaction to beat this level equals a late 3-starred level in Lost Socks!
    I even got stuck, made a U-turn, missed my last cube, almost finished level 5 as well and made a new high score...woot!

Attached Files:

8. Evil Indie Games

Congratulations Qwertz555! :)

9. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    So aside from the conversation between Qwertz and the dev, does anyone have anything to offer as far as impressions go? I love the super trippy theme, but the gameplay looks shallow and kind of frustrating. All I'm getting is it's psychedelic and cryptic. I really want to bite but I'm just really skeptical. I know it's only $2 but I've spent a ton of mobile games lately and you can slap acid like effects on an endless runner but it's still an endless runner so, is this game worth it, and why? I noticed it didn't even make the best new games category this week, not that it matters much but it doesn't seem to take much to be featured there. Surely if this game was doing something different, it would be. Anything?

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #30 coolpepper43, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    This isn't an endless runner, it's level based. It probably didn't get featured because it was too weird. I love this game. If you love twitchy games then get this immediately.
    Also, just because it didn't get featured doesn't mean it wasn't a super great game. So many things go into getting featured like connections. Like, if you go through a famous publisher. I can't tell you how many weeks that I've been shocked that an awesome game didn't get featured. In fact it happens almost every week.

11. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #31 CraigG, Apr 8, 2016
    My take so far: it could be brilliant. The scenario and aesthetics are unnerving, original and very nicely done. The controls and relative 'stiffness', however, are a drawback for me. It feels a bit like it wants to be Impossible Road at times, but you turn in 90-degree snaps and quite slowly. So if you soar through the air and mis-time a turn, chances are you're dead. Given the length of the levels, this can be hugely frustrating, because you play through the same bits time and time again to get to the part you're struggling with. (It's more like WaveWave, then, but in WaveWave, you're working on a 2D plane and so it's far easier to plan than in a 3D multiple height environment. Getting positioning right's hard enough in Fotonica, let alone here.)

I had similar issues with Neon Drive, which I also really wanted to love. That game at least added checkpoints, and I think they would be a smart move here, perhaps halfway through a level (and then shift the standard mode to a 'hardcore' leaderboard or something).

As for best new games, I suspect not that many people know about no thing, and Apple's selection is always something of a crapshoot for devs. There was a lot of crud in the mix last week. (I've not played through this week's selection yet, but Shadow Bug, Disney Crossy Road, Chameleon Run and PKTBALL.)

EDIT: Incidentally, I do think it's worth buying this game, if that wasn't clear. Just go in with your eyes open. And don't hurl your iPad at the wall when you get killed at 94% on a level as I just did. (Get killed, that is; I didn't hurl an iPad. Yet.)

12. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    #32 Qwertz555, Apr 8, 2016
    First, this is an amazing week for new released games. For me.
    I simply had to buy more than my usual two premium games. Result: i'm totally hooked to this one, and the other three suffer an unplayed* destiny in my back-log corner.

I'm sure that other people bought this one too, and if they do the same as i do, when i don't like a game at all...
    i simply don't write any post in the thread, delete the game and move on.

This game is prescripted and level based, though i can start an endless attempt on any unlocked level. I made a few tries starting from level 1, but i never managed to beat two (seamless!) levels in a row, yet.
    It is difficult. Level 4. Very. Really.

*I played Shadow Bug (brilliant) a bit because it came out on monday. Mostly these early games don't get featured by Apple (my observation). Too many unknown factors (thinking of an ABBA song) anyways how to end up there.

Edit: those cubes start to play (level 3 and up) an important role. Pick one up, or not. I just died in level 6 because i picked one up. Couldn't make that far jump anymore. Think of the crates impact in Canabalt. Two other games' similarities are mentioned already.

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Dev, I see that the android version has VR support. Please add support for Google Cardboard for the ios version. If you also add MFI support it should work.

14. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    #34 Qwertz555, Apr 8, 2016
    Exellent thought!

This way, the hardcore and the casual gamer could be satisfied. Simple.
    Developers know every bit of their game, forget about it and end up delivering a too frustrating difficult one.

I just succeeded in doing an endless run, starting at level 1 to die in level 3 at 80%.

I never mentioned that the tap's "beep" is delayed. Funny, i got used to it and i also use it as an off-beat input. Wondering if others play/look at this like a rhythm game as well. The very quick short turns work that way, at least.

*Is there a way to pause this game?
    I need one, please.

In all honesty, without this great soundtracks, i never would have added this game to my GOTY contenders. Yep, i'm completely crazy...hooked!

*Stupid me found the pause button on the very top of the screen. Cool, slow motion starts the game again.

15. Evil Indie Games

16. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Yep. I do wonder with some of these games how widely they are playtested. In terms of checkpoints, the final turn in level three almost had me quit the game. I could get to that point every time, but couldn't nail the timing. It became a chore to trudge through the entire level to get another crack at a single moment. (I suspect this will happen a lot going forwards, too. Level four, which I'm stuck on, has an awful lot of having to turn without being able to see the ground beneath you. Instinct and timing is one thing, but, well, this really really needs checkpoints.)

17. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    So...who else is stuck on he first level...

18. Evil Indie Games

#38 Evil Indie Games, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

We wanted this game to be hard, but in fact we did a free to play version with ads (after game over) and checkpoint continue/restore for video... But it become too easy for us. We are very small team, making games that we want to play :)

19. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I get it, but…

1. With respect, what is too hard for the developers isn't entirely relevant, because as developers you know your games inside-out. This is why a lot of games were insanely hard in the 1980s, because developers never really playtested, got insanely good at their games, and kept ramping up the difficulty levels. Similarly, you see this a lot in modern indie mobile fare, for the same reason.

2. There's a very different level of time investment required with no thing to the majority of insanely hard games. HoPiKo, for example, has levels that last just a few seconds. Super Hexagon and its ilk are algorithmically generated survival games. no thing, by contrast, has fixed and set levels, and it's insanely frustrating when you get killed very late on and have to play through several minutes time and time again, to get another crack at a turn, and on where you may effectively have to guess at where you land. (Unlike, say, Impossible Road, course correction in no thing is not very precise, and only rarely works.) I really like no thing's aesthetics, world, premise and basic mechanics, but it felt like a chore getting to the end of level 3. It ceased being fun.

(Note that I'm not suggesting you shove in a load of continues willy nilly, nor even monetise them. I very much like that your game is a premium pay-once offering. But I do reckon having checkpoints at the halfway point of each level — even if this is a separate 'wuss' mode — would make the game far more palatable for a wider audience. Hell, it'd make it more palatable for me, and my devices are full of things like Boson X, Alone, Helix, Eliss, Impossible Road, Mr./Ms. Particle Man, Super Hexagon, etc!)

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Respect