iPhone Nova HD looking amazing!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ChrisMayer, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Then you need to know everyone has their preference. Personally, I feel touch controls are easier than actual buttons, though I do well with both. End of discussion. This was pointless.

2. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    They are not.

3. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    No. When people make the ridiculous comment that touch controls are better I have to respond. This is a discussion forum after all.

4. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Dude, chill. People can have there own opinions. I personally don't the controls on other handheld gaming devices but that's just my opinion. Just because I like touch controls for handheld gaming better doesn't mean that you have to try to prove me wrong. People can have there own opinions. End of story.

5. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Well what do you expect when a-holes start insulting my coordination. I have a right to discuss my opinion and if you don't like it, leave the thread. End of story.

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I can't believe someone has already bought this.

7. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    ok this is what i think of this issue

-for FPS, touch controls is inferior to buttons. Why? Firstly, the issue about screen stickiness. Then, you can't track or target a moving target without firing, which is easy on a keyboard. On my PC, I can keep on targeting a moving target with my mouse with firing only selectively to conserve ammo without lifting my fingers of the control device. On my iPad, i can chose either to move the reticle/view and then lifting my thumb to press fire; or keep on pressing fire while moving the reticule which case i cant control the rate of fire. Thirdly, the issue about buttons covering the screen-slide your view fast enough to turn around and your thumbs would go everywhere. i think the iPad will improve this, remains to be seen.

-IMO, the issue here is not really of people thinking that touchscreens controls are superior to buttons. The issue here is that Apple fanboys trying to make everything Apple sound good, while not even being fair to others. The iPhone OS is a good gaming device, but it is limited to games that can optimize controls to the touchscreens. And btw, i wont really say iPad would kill off every handheld out there, not unless we have the same quality of games like on the PSP. We do have the numbers, though.

8. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Read my post again and you'll see I wasn't insulting you. The word "if" was in there. Now I know most people aren't English pros, but I just want you to know that I was saying IF you couldn't handle it then you're seriously uncoordinated. Honestly though, you're not respecting other people's opinions well, and you just have to have everyone agree physical button controls are better. Sigh. :rolleyes:

9. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Honestly this whole discussion goes back to a couple things

1.) The idea that Nova is some sort of crowning achievement in gaming. It would be average at best on another platform

2.) The fact that despite all the people on here who think the iPad is going to destroy the rest of the handheld gaming, that will NEVER happen as long as touch controls are the only legitimate option.

It just blows my mind that people on here actually think these touch controls are superior. Take that argument to any other gaming forum on the internet and you would be laughed out of there. I just think a little counter agreement is needed to put people back on Earth to realize that iDevices will never take over handheld gaming. At best they will own the mobile gaming market, but never get real handheld console games outside of the occasional port like GTA.

10. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    In terms of HANDHELD gaming( not pc) fps are best on iphone and itouch. PSP fps have bad controls and the DS doesnt have the best graphics.

11. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    The fact is what the games that count as quality FPS games on the iPhone would be average at best on the PSP or DS.

With that aside, when you start dipping into other games, the average PSP/DS game blows the iPhone out of the water. It's not even a fair comparison.

12. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    what are you talking about. Idevices occupy 19 percent of the portable gameing market vs the psp 11 percent. I think that makes it a pretty succful handheld gameing device.

13. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Well, the effort you're giving is wasted. Apple's already taken up a big percentage of Sony's market. See these figures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Those numbers are irrelevant when you look at the quality. The junk that passes as top quality on this device are absolute garbage compared to the high quality titles on the PSP. Hell the same could be said for the Wii. It destroys the 360/PS3 in console sales and often takes up a large amount of slots on the top 10 selling software. With that said, I doubt many gamers would claim the Wii is a superior console. Outside of a few Nintendo exclusives and the occational obscure game like A Boy and his Blob, the Wii is crap. Sales numbers do not change that.

15. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    more revenue just means consumers are spending more and companies are getting more of our money. i don't see the pride in it, unless off course, fanboys....

it is useless unless we get something in return, which is more quality content and titles for the iphone OS

16. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    The PSP and DS doesn't have COD. It has Final Fantasy and GTA:CW, but the iPhone has that too. The iPod Touch's hardware is the same as the DS's, and a smidgen lower than the PSP's, but the 3GS's hardware and 3rd gen iPod Touch hardware is actually better than the PSP's and uses almost the same hardware as the XBOX360, just with a slower processor.

Things are looking up for iPhone gaming. If you don't enjoy it, why are you even here? This conversation of iPhone VS DS VS PSP is old, please just GTFO, shutup, or talk about something helpful and not extremely stupid or obvious. Kthxbai! :cool:

17. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    For starters the PSP does have a CoD game, but either way CoD Zombies is a joke. It's a game mode from the console version and is nothing but 2 maps, hardly anything worth bragging about. The iPhone has PSP ports of the original Final Fantasy games, while the PSP has FFVII Crisis Core and additional games far and above the quality of the iPhone games. The DS also has solid 3D remakes of FFIII and FFIV in addition to dozens of other excellent RPG's. The only game on the iPhone that can compare is GTA:CTW, and it only only equal footing when you overlook the controls, which are superior on both the DS and PSP versions. Hardware is illrelevant when you don't have software to back it up.

I actually enjoy a number of games on my iPhone, as you can see by my sig. With that said, the apple fanboys who think the iPad is going to dominate the portable game industry and claim the iPhone will as well are crazy. I just think people need to be brought down to earth and realize the iDevices are nothing but glorified mobile gaming devices. They own the mobile gaming market and that is it.

18. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    Okay there are alot of ideviece games. Many are crap but The itouch and iphone have some very high quaility games if you havnt noticed. If anybodys
    wants ill post a list of current and upcomeing "quality games".

19. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    iPhone games have the hardware.

iPhone games have a good price.

iPhone games lack innovation or actual console gameplay.

They will not "dominate" the handheld industry (whoever said that is a retard), but they certainly can take a chunk of it. That's all I'm trying to say. Plus, Nintendo and Sony have been around shitloads longer than Apple.

txag2005 isn't being realistic, he's just stuck in the past and won't look ahead in the future.

20. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    I dont think you can argue the point that the best the iPhone has to offer pales in comparison in terms of depth and quality with average to great PSP/DS games. That is the key issue here. The major developers on their end are some of the top developers in the industry. The top developers on the iPhone are mobile specific developers. Sure they do a good job with mobile games, but they are not of the same quality as the work put out by the development teams who work on DS and PSP games. The only exceptions I can see are the GTA:CTW port and the upcoming Square Enix RPG.

Like I said, hardware or how long Sony/Nintendo have been around are irrelevant if the iPhone continues to put out causal games and continue to have mobile game focused developers as their A team developers.