Oberon's Court,3D Real Time Strategy set in the Afterlife [universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Muppetpuppet, Sep 6, 2013.

?

What would purchase price would you feel is value for money

Poll closed Sep 24, 2013.
  1. I'd rather not seen any In app purchases and an upfront app price (2.99)

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. In App purchase of new Campaigns (bout 5 maps+cutscenes) (89 cent)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. In App purchase of additonal unit types for your Cabinet(army units) (89 cent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. In App purchase of Additional resources to upgrade your Units (89 cent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I feel new Campaigns should be free, and only additional units and resources should be purchases

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I feel I would pay for extra campaigns and story, but not for game boosting purchases such as units

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. I would not pay at all for this game, the way it looks now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I prefer advertising and banners if the game is free.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    *grin* nice one, Muppet. Have to remember to bring that up, maybe on April 1: "new and innovative way to approach the development process, yaddayadda..."

Well, let's say it like that:
    Everytime I catch a programmer to follow the "P,MF(tm) methodology" , let's say "What documentation?" , I want to be the guy on the left :p

Oh, and: no rush.

2. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    hehheheeh, we're all scrum/agile at the office, but remember this is me flying solo. So its full on bob ross programming, oooh maybe here lives a nice little list, and here hmm perhaps a nice collision class.. but don't worry after 12 years of being a noob coder, my stuff's simple but tight..

3. Kozio235

Kozio235 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Haha yea that is pretty good. And on smaller devices, do you completely take out fx? Remember the MCPE way ;P

And yea, I vollunteer my iPod as tribute to the 1st round of testing :D

4. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    I'll have an ipod 4th gen and 5th gen test next week, as soon as I've got the settings menu working. I'll let you know how intact the version will be..;)

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    iCloud backup?

I just found out the hard way how much I appreciate a well-working cloudsave feature.
    Note that before today I never used iCloud saving, so the importance for switching devices is what I can point out.

Setup my new iPad Air (damn that thing is a real featherweight), and for most games restoring the savegames worked just fine with the normal iTunes backup.

One offers a manual cloudsave, and that worked fine as well.

But three did not work out at all, and two of those were from major publishers.
    15 or so minutes was the maximum I was willing to invest into some techno-wizardry to make it work. No luck after that, deleted them. My time is precious enough, and my games backlog long enough that I do not want to spend dozens of hours replaying.

Moral of the story:
    If you can, provide a functioning manual iCloud backup function. We players will thank you.
    Should you need detail info on how to do it, contact the folks who made "Strike Wing: Raptor Rising". It is the "one game with cloudsave that works" I referred to above. Vaipa (one of the devs) is active in the Strikewing thread here on TA.

6. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Would you then mind if I made it a single savegame game. So 1 user 1 persistent save.?

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I never liked that when a game offers only one saveslot. If that gets corrupted, or if you mess something up, you are in trouble.

Other than that, trying to think ahead a bit here. I assume that many people will upgrade over Christmas, so the "big wave" shouldn't affect you, with a release after that.
    But you'll always have people upgrading at odd times, e.g. when they renew their mobile contract.

I'd say save it for a future update, depending on how well Oberon's Court is received.
    2 Saveslots plus an Autosave one are the absolute mininum in my opinion.
    No need to go overboard with 10+ or unlimited saveslots; 3-5 sounds like a healthy number, provided it is easily implementable.

I honestly don't know how difficult that is to implement. But in terms of iCloud storage space, having more than 1 slot shouldn't be a problem.
    Do you have a technical reason (e.g. iCloud API limitations) to make it only one savegame?

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha it's pokemon all over again

9. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam

Attached Files:

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Looks great, as everything so far ;)
    The picture on the bottom left I like the most; creepy with those eyes in the dark. A classic that never fails.

11. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Those are the mechanicians. Elder souls, working together trying to find a way out. And using your units as test subjects.. A bit of a throw of the dice, will your units be released from the underworld, or will he change in other ways.. who knows..

12. Kozio235

Nov 11, 2012
    Lol sorry for being so silent lately... I've been really busy with finals and all.
    If you still have that test ready, my testflight email is [email protected]
    If your not doin testflight, i'll do whatever else :p

13. Kozio235

Nov 11, 2012
    I'm really liking the snow themed pic!

14. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Thanks kozio..

It's been around for a while, but had not used it my test level, I've now got a test campaign of 3 connected levels, including the snow level..

But for the last week, and probably for a few more. I'll be bug hunting, i've got some nasty low level things going wrong with animations, that are draining time on new features ;(

15. Kozio235

Nov 11, 2012
    Bust out the bazooka and kill dem bugs!

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Awh, sounds ugly. Best of luck with that, here's to fixing it soon.

17. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Well, in between I just redid the touch controls, It was first done on relative finger position. Which made I hade to scroll the world based on approximation of the motion. Which is a really ugly way of doing it.. I just rewrote it based on the virtual 3D intersection of the finger pos with the 3D world. allowing the world scroll to be much more precise and actually feel as your dragging it under your finger.. It's a really minor refactor done in between bug hunting, but one that improves the interaction quite a bit.. I always have these periods where some bugs will make me re-focus on old code and improve it.. So I don't mind..

by the way the animation bugs seem to be something in the new unity3d 4.3 , so its causing some delays as I'll probably have to wait for the next update.

18. Kozio235

Nov 11, 2012
    Isn't the usual way to do controls a thing with pads? Like sectioned off zones for specific controls

19. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Like virtual controls,, well those wouldn't neccesarely be neccesary for a strategy game. But as we're navigating 3d terrain by dragging in this game, i had to make sure that your 2D touch was translated to a 3D drag. (on a camera which is also in motion, so that makes all the touches relative to the camera, which is relative to the world)..

20. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    GifTime!.. here's what happens to a soul, when its shadow is defeated.. Save your Souls..(you can grab them if you have the resources, not shown here)

[​IMG]