Oceanhorn - New Zelda-inspired title from developers of Death Rally!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fox-One-1, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Reading the posts on the front page does make a lot of sense:

You people have such double standards... it's insane

Imagine if gameloft made this game huh? How many of you would've hated it?

Now that it's made by some other gamestudio does make it right all of the sudden?

It would have been nice if the devs at least tried to make it more of their own product intead just ripping the shit out of wind waker.

2. Fox-One-1

Fox-One-1 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Thank you!

Thank you for such a warm welcome you all gave for our newcomer! There have been a lot of questions in the air and I updated the blog today with some release specific information.

I would like to share some unofficial thoughts about game design. Some of you have seen this as direct clone of Wind Waker. I love Legend of Zelda series from the bottom of my heart as they were favorite games of my childhood, along with old Seiken Densetsu and Final Fantasy games. But every single game that I have ever played has influenced Oceanhorns design, not just one game or even one single series of games.

I loved simplicity of Zelda games, thats why hearts in the HUD and no XP approach. Game mechanics in Oceanhorn will be unique, although recognizable amongst the fans of adventure games. Battles are a bit deeper than your regular hack and slash. Enemies can get angry and there are some way you can trick them for example :) - Overworld adventures are inspired by Zeldas and Seiken Densetsu: You run around, find caves, slash bushes, throw small stones around, kill monsters and find treasures.

I think true salt of the game will be how boat is integrated into adventures. It is going to be something very straight forward and fun. Sometimes separate game modes distances you from the game world, this is not going to be one of those modes.

My favourite Zeldas are Ocarina of the Time and Link's Awakening and favourite Seiken Densetsu is the one for the gameboy called "Final Fantasy Adventure (US)" and "Mystic Quest (PAL)". I highly recommend it to you if you haven't played it yet! :) - That theme song alone is enough to give me goosebumps of excitement.

But anyways, thanks for looking forward to it! I will post more info later!

[​IMG]

3. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    Whats with the man skirt?

4. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Maybe you should take a prozac. Relax man. Why so serious?
    I will never understand why people get so worked up over things that really dont effect them personally. Game sounds cool to me...

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Lol, u mad bro?? People are just glad someone's finally doing this....

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    And then I will counter that your thumb is going to be in the corner anyway covering that section of the screen - anywhere else is just going to block more of it. So I'd like the analog stick just the way it, in the corner, with it visible so I don't have to reorient myself every time.

In the end, the best control scheme is one that has all these options, like Mage Gauntlet and all the other games. Size customisation is welcome as well, and should be standard in all iOS games.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #67 GoofyJmaster., Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    First off, don't generalize by saying you people; specify who has the double standard.

Personally, I welcome new ideas and clones! The thing is, besides NOVA and MC3, Gameloft doesn't make very good clones, IMHO. That's the problem.

Lastly, to reiterate, Gameloft doesn't make good clones. Look at MC3 and NOVA, most people aren't complaining about it being a a blatant rip off because they're well made. So, again, maybe if Gameloft put the same effort into all their games there would be less complaining.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to more details on Oceanhorn!

Floating D-Pad FTW!

8. eobet

eobet Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #68 eobet, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    FINALLY a nice looking, and seemingly unobtrusive, UI with virtual controls.

EDIT: Thought... if "Oceanhorn" is the target of this kill-the-foozle game, won't that hamper sequel namings?

9. metroidvictim

metroidvictim Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

nice textures! this is definitely a great character model! i cant wait to see monsters :) will there be variations on monster types? ex: molblins, miniblins, bulblins from zelda. hoping for mini-bosses and epic puzzle bosses!

10. pdballs

pdballs New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I couldn't agree more arta. I was just saying I really hope they consider implementing this type of control system. That's all. Now giving me the option to choose between a few different control schemes--even better. I play a lot of these titles on the iPad and if they are iphone only and have a visible D pad that cannot be changed a lot of times it's in the wrong place and feels a bit awkward.

11. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I guess I should have stated multiple control systems in my earlier post. I think this should become the standard in all games, since not all people play the same.

Floating D-Pad is, usually, just my preference!

12. agemon

agemon Member

Jan 23, 2010
    france
    Please make it with a realy good story (the kind of game i can play minimum15/20h), the control can be upgraded later, not the story ^^ (i dont care to pay 10/15 € for one good game on the ios) . With this kind of graphic, a good story and good control you can make square feel ashamed.

13. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    i can't wait

14. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Me neither. I have been longing for Zelda type games in the iPhone but everything I've tried comes up short. Hopefully this will not disappoint

15. Brokendemo

Brokendemo Active Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I would like to assume this game is going to be universal and run on the ipad. And if I can assume that, then I would also like to assume that you would be willing to consider adding iCade controls to this awesome looking game. I am a bit of a broken record on the subject, but I really love how action games play with physical controls, even if the game doesn't totally make sense for an arcade cabinet. I think this game would probably be an amazing addition to the iCade club.

I don't know, just something to consider. It would also be an excuse for you to buy an iCade, which you will never regret.

16. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    2012 seems like a really long way to go....I just hope this game got released before the end of the world.

17. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    It's only about 50 days. I'm just hoping for an early 2012 release.

18. PsiMek

PsiMek New Member

Nov 9, 2011
    great initial screenshot, looks like some cool post FX on there too(or just nicely done fog). kudos

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    since the first screen shown is a bullshot (as stated by the developer and pretty obvious if you just look at it) .. i somehow doubt it will be here very soon..

the assets they show looks good and i rather wait a year to get a quality zeldaesque game than a quick moneygrab which is shiney but has no content..

but on the other hand..they could make the content episodic , open up more areas of the world pice by pice in updates/iap whatever they choose..

20. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009