Universal Octagon 1 (by Lukas Korba)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #61 awp69, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Holy crap! I didn't realize that apparently after you die a certain number of times, the track changes!

Honestly haven't played this enough with Meltdown and Rayman also competing for time. But I also was going back to try to hit some on those bumpers and died some more in the process (I was at 90% on track 3) when all if the sudden when I restarted, the track was different. Then a few times later it was completely different.

Is this supposed to be happening? Never happened to me last night.

Also, my high score in Track 3 vanished and reset to zero.

So basically, I'm wondering if the game thinks you've had enough time to memorize this track so it's time to f**k with you and change it. LOL.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm an idiot. I guess must have hit the little button on the side that changes the track and apparently resets your high score. Must have always been tapping the center to replay prior to this. I'll go crawl back under my rock.

Oh and yeah, screen shakes a little after one bumper hit for me, a little more after two straight hits then doom after three.

2. sgt slow

sgt slow Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Sgt.
    USA
    yes! far out man

3. sgt slow

sgt slow Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Sgt.
    USA
    this is definitely engaging and a nice reflex exercise. i got a bit cross eye'd as i got deeper into the starting level. i've got some more work to do.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Absolutely loving this

5. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Stuck on level 9 right now, hoping I can beat it tonight :D

Sorry that I'm unable to leave a review on the AppStore, I grabbed one of the promo codes so I must have the NZ version of the game on my device, rather than the US. I've tried several times to no success

6. You can't review a game if it was redeemed by promo code. Apple did it to prevent fake reviews.

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Darn!!!

8. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    The game is unplayable on my iPad 2 no jailbreak iOS 6.1.3, anyone face the same problem? It keep crashing so badly, did a restart and hard reset didn't help. :(

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #69 cloudpuff, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Yes was just coming to say the same about my iPad2 on ios6 also not jail broken. All other apps closed etc.
    I'm also having probs my mini again which is ios7, but it's nit as bad as the iapd2

Edited to add - also my controls seem off, I could manage yesterday but today it it's jumping when I'm swiping or moving left when I'm tapping, is there a knack to the way you hit the screen? It may just be case of I'm a ditz or it's gets trickier to fit the moves in as the game speeds up. I also find the swiping blocks the view from looking ahead, it only be a fraction of a second but that's all it takes for the obstacle to be at you. I'll keep at it though :)

10. Strange...I run those exact specs yet I don't have any of those problems...

11. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Got it running on the ipad2 now.

It would seem that my mobile data needs to be on for the game to work, as when I'm offline it won't load at all on the ipad2 and crashes a lot on the mini, I thought it was switching airplane mode on that made it work on my mini when in fact I'd switched on mobile data. Might just be coincidence but the controls are working like normal with mobile data on.

Is a connection required to run this game? Not a problem for me and my mini but I'll have to delete from my kids ipad2 as she doesn't have a data plan. She can play on mine :)

12. Lukas Korba

Lukas Korba Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Prague
    #72 Lukas Korba, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Connection is not needed to play Octagon. I got a few crash reports today. Most of them are on iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1. It's strange why it isn't working on newer iOS and devices. I will fix this in next update coming soon. I just need more info to find the issue. Thank you for your patience.

13. MTX2013

MTX2013 Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Damn, this game is hard.

14. Lukas Korba

Lukas Korba Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Prague
    Hi, you can generate a new track by the button with two rounded arrows. This creates a new track on the same level of difficulty. Good if you are stuck at some part and want to progress to the next level.

15. sgt slow

sgt slow Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Sgt.
    USA
    Game Impressions

Highly addictive, but the music really starts to wear on you. Also, I literally went cross-eyed after a bit and had to take a break.

It's simple to get started but a true challenge to finish. The constant and increasing challenge of this makes for a good game. Also, I would have felt better paying $0.99. Maybe I will feel better about the price if I continue to improve and unlock some crazy new Octagon realities. :cool:

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    On level 13 right now, this might be my favorite in the genre

17. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Level 6 here, it's harrrrrrrrd lol

18. Did the sensitivity on tapping change on update?

Using tap on left right, there is more delay now, makes it hard to play now.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just finished level7 and i have to say, i am quite impressed with this game. As advertised, it has a simple core gameplay, but with brutal difficulty. Like games in the similar quasi-genre (Boson X, Project 88, Super Hexagon, Duet, Impossible Road, Pivvot, etc.) this game is made out of pure gameplay.

Compared to the other games in this group, Octagon excels in one thing over most of the others: Level Design.

With simple floors and a lone geometric protagonist your first thoughts would be the game looking like a huge octagonal tunnel runner. Well, you're right in the first couple stages. After that, the gameworld suddenly throws floors on the same plane, or ones that put you ouside the "tunnel", and with a wide variety of mix and matching, you get some of the most varied level designs in a minimalistic gaming environment.

This brilliantly planned and implemented level design is what makes Octagon unique from all the other offerings in the genre. This is like the Polara of the minimalist tunnel runner.

The game is not without its flaws though. For one, the background music gets a little annoying, as it just feels like a 2 second monotonous loop most of the time, and i dont think it necessarily sets the mood right for long distance tunnel running. That one's pretty minor though.

The other thing is that, like all level based runner titles, the only way to finish the hardest levels is memorization. Well, not really the game's flaw per se, as it naturally comes with the design being level based. Most other games remedy this by having randomized endless levels, so we'll see where this game goes from here...

Everything this game offers though, is fantastic, except maybe for the background music. For anyone who's into pure gameplay games, this one is highly recommended.

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    ^ I agree about everything, music included. Extremely fantastic game but music wears thin very quickly. Maybe adding more tracks or hiring Chipzel :D