Off Topic Swing Copters Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rIcHrAnDoM, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    It won't

2. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I beat you by 1 min 30 secs

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I beat you by 30 secs (I haven't even downloaded)

4. spokentruths772

Oct 28, 2013
    Complain all you want your still gonna download it and help it reach #1 on the app and google play stores lol

5. Paris_a

Paris_a Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2014
  6. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Dude you have a pretty low threshold for what you class as a good game if you'd give this piece of junk 4.5!

7. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Who cares about those developers? Some people put in hard work and their apps still look like poop. You don't know anything about him. I'm sure he tried hard on this app. He has other games out. He loves making games. Nothing wrong with that.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair you dont know anything about him either. All i'm going on is what was reported in the media after interviews with him. The whole Flappy Bird thing just seems to be a great PR job, not many famous/best selling apps the dev decides to suddenly take it off the app store.

I mean seeing the videos from some people where for ages they score 0 or 1, just seems all a bit weird.

To me this is one of those 'games' where in 10 years time people will say 'remember flappy bird' on some video game documentary and people will laugh and think 'why' ?! Its like a novelty record which you buy and like but 10 years later you look back and think 'what was i doing ?!'

9. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #29 melvin2898, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    I didn't like Flappy Bird. I deleted it quickly and thought the pipes were from Mario Bros. I only kept the game because everyone at my school played it. I've deleted it more than once. Now I only have the game because the creator removed it. Lol people were selling iPhones with this game on it. Games like this in my opinion are for more of the casual crowd. Maybe not the new one because it's much harder but I hope you get my point. It's easy to play and easy to get right back into. The game is kind of hard to score in so it's fun to compare with friends and such. The ads aren't in the way either. It's simple and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people like simple. Not everyone is a big gamer who's looking for a story or deep mechanics. That's not what gaming is about. It's about having fun with games that you like. It doesn't matter if people hate it or love it. What matters is what you think.
    I want to this game to make #1. Not because I like it. I just think it's something that should happen. I don't hate this guy. Best wishes to him.

I do think he's kind of stupid for deleting the game considering how much of a cash cow it was. He needs to take down the clones and hurry up and put the game back up. The popularity would've died down eventually but he should've stayed for the ride instead of jumping ship. Sure some bad stuff happened but that's not his fault. That's just humanity being stupid over a video game.

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #30 Nekku, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    If someone says a game sucks, then it's an personal opinion and people might have different opinions no matter how many people like or playing this game. Or would it make any sense to like an game just because anyone else does? Surely not.

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    No, they don't.
    But if you were a one man band and had gotten the same level of international hatred, venom, jealousy and extortion along with the success and were susceptible to those kind of pressures, perhaps you would have done the same.
    Perhaps he was just telling the truth as he felt it to be at the time.

By the way, PR is not necessarily a bad thing.
    By its true definition, its actually a good thing and every post by every developer about their own products/games on this forum falls in to the PR category.

It might be time people stop applying their own preconceptions to a scenario and take it for what the person directly involved in it expresses it to be.
    Not everybody is going around trying to deceive or throwing inaccurate spins on a scenario.
    Sometimes they are simply telling the truth as it relates to themselves.

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Why are users consistently asking why (or saying that) people hating on this game? I can't see any hate at all. Just because someone says he doesnt like it, doesn't mean he 'hates' it. There is a difference. Sheesh, some people really exaggerate.

13. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Exactly, I don't hate the game, I just find it incredibly boring. And reading through this thread I find two kinds of posts: People who are honest about this game, and Dong defenders. But if they want to throw praise at a game developed by one guy, a person who truly deserves it, they should head over to the Motorsport Manager thread.

14. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Not having ios7 by this point is like having a blackberry. Stuck in the past

15. smokinpotato

smokinpotato New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    #35 smokinpotato, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    left out quote

16. smokinpotato

smokinpotato New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    #36 smokinpotato, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    Dong Nguyen is full of hot air. He claims he will have multiplayer support and the option to take breaks in his next game (as per his twitter account). Yet in his current game, there are none of that. He said he wasn't in it for the money and just wanted to build games? That is also full of crap as he has In-App-Purchases to remove ads in his games. Why even have ads in the first place if he doesn't care about money? He obviously have enough to live quite a comfortable life in Vietnam already. He obviously took down his Flappy Bird game for another reason, possibly because he didn't want to be scrutinized for trying to game his market. He initially tried to cheat the apple store by using bots to download his games. He got quite a few downloads when he first launched but the download died off because the market he tried to penetrate didn't accept his game at first. Then a few months later, through word of mouth from some die hard fans, the game eventually got first in a few markets and then it just snowballed from there. His rise to fame was a combination of both cheating the system and organic download. When he tried to cheat the system, he failed, but by sheer luck, the organic downloads came at a much longer date.

Dong Nguyen is not a very good programmer so making simple game is the best he can do. There are lot of engines nowadays that you can use to build Dong's games. You don't need hard core programming language. Check out Gamesalad or Gamemaker Studios. For more advance engines, you can try Unity or Unreal.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #37 y2kmp3, Aug 22, 2014
    Wow!

Character assassination of the game's creator by a poster who signed up just today and made only 3 posts, all of which were in this thread. How much credibility do you think you can leverage to convince others of your argument? It is possible that you are truly new to our community. More likely, however, is that you are another existing TA member who is hiding behind a new alias and is too afraid to reveal your identity and stand up for your statements.

Such blindly negative attitude has no place in this great TA community.

18. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #38 Jake7905, Aug 22, 2014
    Yeah, that was over the top. Though I agree that Dong isn't the second coming, and that the success of Flappy Bird was based more on luck then quality, is it really necessary to trash the developer in order to make that point?

Hopefully, when Swing Copters fails to match the success of Flappy Bird, the Dong detractors and the Dong defenders both lay off. After all, the games are the things that matter here, and there's no way simple games like Flappy Bird and Swing Copters deserve this much debate on a forum. Positive or negative.

19. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    This is a bit harshÂ… Are you a Jealous developer who spent six months making a game that no-one has heard of? The point I'm making is I made assumptions about you. I have no proof of what I wrote. Until you can prove any of your claims about bot farms and such I would not write it as fact.

I'm been ironic here but people in some way feel that Dong is a cheatÂ… He's just lucky that's all - it's pretty funny hearing other developers bitch about it while they secretly wish it happened to them ;)

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #40 psj3809, Aug 22, 2014
    ^Totally agree, i think people are obviously jealous of him. I think fair play, hes made a lot of money, i dont get all the 'i dont want the fame so i'll take the game down....' as i dont believe that for one bit, think thats good marketing PR. But fair play to the guy.

Its frustrating that Flappy Bird isnt a great game BUT hes very clever as its a good casual game for the masses who want a quick 10 second game here and there. For that hes very clever. I get a bit depressed as i'm often selling iOS gaming to my friends and saying how good it is, how many 100's of amazing games there are and they have one game and its Flappy Bird (sigh).

BUT this game does seem frustrating as anything, Pocket Gamer gave it 5/10, i'll be interested to see what TA give it. But be honest, if this game was by anyone else most people would have deleted it after 10 minutes as it seems to be sooo frustrating. He could release a game about a black square moving around the screen and there'll be a 40 page thread about this game and how addictive/great it is etc ! The boy can do no wrong !

And that dev above who turned up, he 'may' have had the odd valid point in his rant but spamming a game in every one of his 3 posts was ridiculous. (I've deleted the links)

Edit - And now hes just created a thread for his game. So hes happy to moan about Flappy Bird yet hes also happy to create a game using similar assets/name etc ?!? Ridiculous