Off Topic Swing Copters Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rIcHrAnDoM, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #41 Nekku, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    TA will probably give it a 5/5. :D
    Not sure, but even when this one doesn't gets as many downloads or good reviews it will probably make some good money given that you die alot (100+ times more than in FB) due to its incredible high difficulty (and kinda bad controlls imo) and well...anyone realised that a new AD will load on every single death? Not sure if this was carefully planned beforehand though.

2. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    "Totally hating the controls and the long startup time for a new run. Deleted"

"This is crap."

"Played it for two minutes. Deleted."

Yeah that's ... that's kinda hating right there. I understand that the game may not be to everyone's preference and it's fine if some people don't like it, but some people's posts sound really spiteful.

3. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #43 Nekku, Aug 22, 2014
    None of these quotes indicating hate towards the game or its dev in general, imo.

4. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

5. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Huh, some example here: many people and companies stuck to Windows XP and completely skipped Vista. Heck, the XP crowd is still so large that after announcing stopping support of it, Microsoft backpedalled.
    So not jumping on to the next train isn't a sign of being an old fart and out of date. It's a sign of judgement being made.

It's not like iOS7 was literally forced down the throats of every user, was it?... ;)

iOS7 is rather terrible. It looks like shit and some of the changes are dumbfoundingly stupid. Form greatly overcame function and they didn't even get the form right. We're talking about Apple here btw.
    And as usual, while not preventing my expensive device from crashing for any stupid reason since the day of the iOS7 beta (and I'm not the only one who has experienced device instability on iPads circa this moment of the year btw), it also makes things slower.

Very few reasons remain as to why not going jailbreak.
    Or, since you can find iOS apps on Android (and soon on WP) so easily, and you also get much more control for less money, perhaps there's no reason to stick to Apple either.

6. Pixelosis

Jan 28, 2013
    It has. It's called criticism and there's no sign at the entrance that says you should strictly deliver positive comments and act as a Dongshrill.
    Btw, focusing on membership age or posting habits is particularly mediocre.

7. Pixelosis

Jan 28, 2013
    That's called opinions? If one thinks it's crap, he says so.
    As for the mild hating, don't blow this out of proportions, you soft skinned one.

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    It's hillarious to see people who didn't like Flappy Bird and/or Swing Copters being called uncaring heartless monsters. Almost as hillarious as it is to see this Dong guy being considered a genius. So much drama for such a silly little game...
    Please, keep it coming!

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There's a difference between qualitative or quantifiable criticism to hate posts and personalised attacks.

There's also a difference between being soft skinned to having a moral backbone or being civilised.

I'd explain the difference but I think I'll just train a fish to ride a bicycle instead.

10. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Well put that in your pipe and smoke it. It's now the Number 1 free game in the US. All those Jealous devs will be jumping around like crazed banshees now ;) The fact is Dong has had 2 number 1 games now while the Jealous dev has hardly any downloads to the games they produce. And to all those haters from way back when Flappy Bird went massive and said he's just a 1 hit wonder - well he is not ;)

I say be happy for Dong! Because he has found away to turn water into wine :)

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I wonder if the #1 is legit or if it's due to gaming the store like what was tried with Flappy Bird?

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #52 Nekku, Aug 22, 2014
    It's ranked #2 in germany but what does that say? Ranking is based of on downloads. Ofc many people will download it due to it being made by Dong who has made the infamous FB.
    It is rated 3 Stars. Many people are disappointed.
    Why should someone be jealous on a game rated at 3 stars? I don't see a hit. I don't see facts either.
    Sure, I'm happy for him and he will still make money with it even when ppl don't like it. ADs are still loading just by trying it out. Way better than all these devs which are ripping off their customers with ridiculous IAP and timers and all this crap. But still, I don't like this game no matter how hard I try to like it.
    Besides that, your "jealous devs" argument gets more and more annoying. Assumptions. That's what I see.

Facebook Messenger is #1 and is rated 1 and a half star. Ye, a true hit I guess. Lol

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair play to Dong, whatever he releases like you say he turns water into wine. But can you honestly say its a decent game ? Really ??

I mean people play it for a while and have a score of '3', just seems totally ridiculous.

I dont care if its number 1 due to downloads, Britney Spears has #1 songs but it doesnt mean theyre good !

Love the retro look, just the gameplay i personally find really disappointing. After the HUGE success of Flappy Bird i was expecting something better to be honest.

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #54 y2kmp3, Aug 22, 2014
    Actually, there is a big difference between deliberate character assassination (in this case, more like trolling) and sound criticism. Criticism is the act of rendering merits and faults in an articulate way based on critical thinking and logic. It differs from prejudice and does not equal "fault finding".

While you are correct to say that such practice does not mean you should always strictly deliver positive comments (I have been critical of some games and rarely game developers), I was referring to lack of practice of constructive or balanced criticism of Swing Copters by the poster. That post (and all previous posts made by the same poster) made a number of accusations for which the poster has not provided any substantive evidence to support them. That is not critical thinking, and the comments rendered are therefore not sound criticism.

Focusing on membership age or posting habits can be an useful "adjunctive" practice when they are not used in isolation but as additional clues to try to learn of the underlying "ulterior" motive of the poster. "Focusing" means only paying deliberate attention and does not mean "solely focusing to the extent of ignoring other facts". It is always good to look at the totality and preponderance of the evidence when making sound judgment; ignoring them is not.

15. Pixelosis

Jan 28, 2013
    Let's be honest, any game he'll make for the next few years at least, if he more or less follows the same formula, will be copied to hell and downloaded like it shat gold out of your screen. That, regardless of the game being good or average. So indeed, saying FB was a (commercial) one hit wonder was just absurd, but implying that SC is a gaming wonder today on its own merits because of the download numbers is equally silly.

Right now, SC is a cousin of FB but vertical and features switching gravity up and down (or more precisely left or right) instead of using force impulses vs gravity.

16. Pixelosis

Jan 28, 2013
    Just one guy in this thread said he was a bad programmer (which would be nice if it had been substantiated). That's all. The rest is just people voicing their opinion about this game being between average to crap, while some others seem to enjoy it. Why all the fuss and huge lecturing?
    You guys should really work a lot on the idea that there are people on this planet who might not share your opinions.

17. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

That's my thinking as well. The "Jealous devs" is repeated all over again many times around these days already but I believe it's not even good for Dong. For me, he has the right to actually know that his game's stepping forward or backward.

Still, congratulations to Dong for having the number 1 spot for today.

Antony

18. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I never said the game was good or bad. I could of said "Turning shit into gold".

All my posts are ironic. The Jealous dev is a term that can be taken as a developer who spent months making a polished game and no-one hears about it. The Jealous dev is just angry because the App Store is basically f*cked up now and vents his frustration at one dev who has all the luck.

The Jealous dev is the games player who wants console games on iOS but the F2P model killed that idea off and vents frustration on the most high profile tat-ware that is flavour of the month.

The Jealous dev is the App Store over eating on junk food ready to vomit out it's over indulgence of crappy apps.

I really wish Apple would put a barrier up on the store and just reject the worthless crap on it. Then we as gamers would benefit!

19. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#59 antony.thai, Aug 22, 2014
    Are you ever a game dev dude?

Everyday, App Store has a number 1 game and it's changing overtime. Being a dev, I do wish to be in that spot once, but "Jealous"? That won't bring my game to that place. A game dev can't spend all their life time for dreaming and
    hating a game or another dev but learning and evaluating them to survive.

Antony

20. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    You miss the point. What I'm pointing out is the App Store is not a good place for the everyday (lets say indies) developers. The App Store is pretty screwed to find games worth downloading and playing. To do well on in this space you need real money.

It's completely random for those that don't have money to promote themselves. The irony is Dong cashed in a winning lottery ticket twice while other developers struggle and get no where.

Then developers follow a trend that was luck to begin with and copy and the next thing the App Store is full of crap. It's a vicious circle the store has now become known for.

And yes I am a developer. And no I am not bitter about any of this because I've been pretty successful working in the App Store space.

But I do see trends and at the moment the App Store is on a downward spiral.