Official Car Jack Streets preview thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Paul@Tag, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    #61 Paul@Tag, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    Well CrimsonPaw there are those that would say that Paybacks inital brief appearance on the Australian app store before the bug was found was a stroke of marketing genius! It certainly fuelled the hype machine into overdrive and contributed to strong sales.

I expect that Car Jack will have a relatively smooth launch in comparision!

BTW there are some snippets of in-game artwork and some more background on the game on our developer video diaries. You can find the first two on the Tag Games YouTube Channel. I'm sporting a beard that I have vowed wont be shaved off until we submit the game to Apple - hopefully not long because its starting to itch!

PS For those that responded to the Street Team opportunity can you email to [email protected]... it's been a long week and I got the email address wrong (twice!!). Doh!

2. Hatteras

Hatteras Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm watching some videos of GTA Chinatown Wars, it looks really promising!

In some future updates, I think it would be really cool if in CJS, when you car is on fire, you can burn people and other cars, really cool!

A GPS would also be really cool where you tap where you want to go and then it could give you directions

3. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    How come you have to transfer from the Mac to the PC? Seems like Final Cut would suffice for editing needs...codecs are such a PIA though :cool:

Any chance of screeshots for tonight or tomorrow? Submission next week sounds awesome too! :D

4. RaZrVIN

RaZrVIN Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Currently unoccupied.
    The Empire State, America.
    Wow, now THIS is going to be an immediate sale for me. I'm so excited and I congratulate Paul and those at Tag Games on the hard work and dedication :) Hahaha and the comment about the beard made my night lol. Can't wait to see CJS on my iPod Touch!

5. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Haha im one of the special ones :) I've been testing CJS and I give a resounding Yes!!! :D

What i particularly love in the fact the game is time based meaning it continues as you go in real life: some of the best missions occur only at certain times in the day. Also, per week dues of 45k must be payed or else... bad things happen (Yeah, i failed by 6k...) THe missions are pretty challenging, which is nice. Love the GTA feel to it.

6. Hatteras

Feb 26, 2009
    I want to be you!!

11 more days (I hope!)

7. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I was meant to be one of the testers, but there were problems getting the beta to me, and I didn't receive it before the beta period ended. :(
    Ah well!

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I just worked out that paying back $50,000 every week until you've cleared the $1m debt would take 20 weeks (about 5 months)! :D

I have a few of questions for Paul:
    1. Does the $50k get deducted from your earnings at the end of each week?
    2. When you've cleared the debt, is there a proper ending to the game's story like in the 3d GTA games? And can you continue playing after completing the story?
    3. Do things like getting arrested or killed cost you cash like in GTA?
    4. Can you bribe cops, buy businesses, set up protection rackets etc?
    5. Is there a garage/safe house where you can store your fav wheels?
    6. Any thoughts on what 3.0 might bring to Car Jack in the future i.e. car radio music from ipod (selectable within the game), real time mission reminders, online or local multiplayer, DLC add on packs (new cars, mission packs or maps)?

9. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Yea, getting busted costs you money, and dying costs you money for medical bills

10. Paul@Tag

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    First of all really sorry CJS Street Team candidates - got that email address wrong twice. Arrrghh.. please email [email protected] if you want to be a member of the Street Team. Will be selecting folk next week.

Ok Nizy here's some answers to your very good questions... and yes if you want to beat the game its going to take you 5 months (however its designed to be played 10-15 mins a day rather than for hours so do bear that in mind!)

1/ Yes. You have to pay that $50k everyweek otherwise Frankie will send the boys round and it will be game over. Any extra cash you have carries through to the next week.

2/ There is a twist in the story at the end - thats all I'll say! Yes you can continue playing to get the biggest cash score possible and see how you're doing against the rest of the world on the global rankings tables. Of course in 5 months time CJS 2 might be close to release ;-)

3/ Yes.

4/ Not this time round. If we had twice the budget and double the team then this would have been in as it is you'll have to wait for the sequel on that front!

5/ No garage at the moment (planned for update but due to the nature of the design its not as important as in GTA) but there are safehouses.

6/ Well we are going to add alot of stuff in regular updates but for the sequel we'd expect to use much of the new 3.0 functionality especially around connectivity. Right now we are 100% focused on submitted CJS next week and making sure we make enough money from the game this time round so that there will be an even better CJS on the App Store come Christmas time!

Cheers
    P

11. Hatteras

Feb 26, 2009
    Looks like someones got a wee bit 'or insomnia.:cool:

Can you handle the birth of two babies?!

12. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Hey Paul, you never know maybe they could be twins! :D

13. Hatteras

Feb 26, 2009
    Twins=delayed CJS 2!!!!

Paul, PRAY...PRAY!!

14. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Hey Paul congrats on the baby!!
    I've got a new question: will you be submitting CJS worldwide?

15. Paul@Tag

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Thanks for all the kind words - the baby has yet to appear but I know for sure it won't be twins ;-)

So I thought I'd share the first screenshot from www.carjackstreets.com with you all just to whet your appetites! The rest of the screens will go up on monday along with the game-play movie (fingers crossed!)

So here's an evening scene from the suburbs with Kirk (owner of the city chop shop) making Randal a very kind offer...

[​IMG]

16. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    WOW
    that looks AMAZING
    I´m hoping this won't take long so that I could have CJS on my ipotch very soon

17. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    That screenshot looks amazing! I can't wait. Also what are the arrows for?

18. Hatteras

Feb 26, 2009
    Great game and great graphics?

What more can you ask for?

19. Paul@Tag

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    You use your left thumb to touch between the left arrows to scroll the mission text. You touch the right arrow to skip to the next piece of mission text or back to the game.

Its all pretty intuative in game ;-)

20. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Looks great!