Oh YEAH!!!! I'm Back And With a MAC!!! (questions inside!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, May 11, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009

To be fair that's just an inactive pixel that needed waking up, dead pixels are dead. They should have checked though.

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    THE TORAN RA!!!!! thanks for posting that.

3. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    yeh ok i no actually i did say to them that its probably isn't 'dead' but doesn't seem to be doing anything i also said that there was software to fix this of it was the case but he said it couldn't be done ;) thx for posting the vids btw

4. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    gratz crex! have fun. :D I'm still using a 5 year old hand me down mac from my sister. The only thing it can run is firefox. itunes? nope. microsoft office? nope. anythig else? no freaking way. I use an equally old but slightly less sucky dell for itunes and the works. If I do well on the chem regents test (I'm skipping the class: I have the credit, but only got an 83 on my first go) in june I get a nice new laptop. Come to think of it... I should prolly be studying. ehh. been a bit slow w/o you here though. Just not the price discussion thread. :rolleyes:

5. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Congratulation, about Mac games on Mac App Store, few suggestions:
    • The last I played and found quite great even if not perfect is Avadon, an interesting RPG. But that's indie and you won't get the production level of a game like Kotor.
    • Before I also enjoyed Defense Grid a quite good TD but this version doesn't allow some more maps released as DLC. Those DLC work only with the PC version.
    • There's also a quite original sort of inverted TD, Anomaly: Warzone Earth.
    • Before that but I didn't played the store version, I enjoyed quite a lot Majesty 2, but not everybody agree. People tend have been disappointed in comparison with Majesty 1, in fact they have a different approach.
    • I haven't played yet much of Borderlands GOTY edition but it seems quite interesting, I have to install it again but it's not the store version.
    About crash I strongly advise you later to use Time Machine and plug an external drive for backup on it. Time Machine is a well done automatic backup program, I felt it rather transparent and well done. With my current Mac close to 5 years old Time Machine saved me two times.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Thnx for the suggestions! Will check them out. Just downloaded Preipe of Darkness earlier today. :)

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Time Machine is great for version backups, and probably even a full restoration too, and I have it enabled for my iMac all the time.
    However, for immediate rescue in case the internal HDD dies, I also use Carbon Copy Cloner, to make a full clone of the internal disk onto an external hard drive of the same 1TB size, via Firewire 800. CCC is a free app where the developer only asks for donations, not demand it, and it's very good and easy to use. If your internal disk does die, you have everything on the cloned drive ready to kepe chugging since the last backup (I run it daily at 8am when I leave for work) exactly as you expect, and the speed is pretty much identical thanks to FW800.

Hold down OPTION key to specify where the cloned drive is, and ta-da! Done! (BTW, I got the free app called "OS X Reference" on my iPhone as a reminder of these startup options, along with other hints like how to take screenshots etc)

8. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    coool~Crex, Congratulations for it!

9. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Thnx my friend! :)

10. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    I stand corrected, the Apple Geniuses are complete failures at life. Every "genius" in Crossgates Mall Albany, NY needs to be fired immediately. The moron suggested that my iPhone was jailbroken because he had never seen the feature "Airplane Mode" available on the Verizon iPhone yet. WTF!?!

Dear Jesus,

Please help the barely functioning alcoholics ironically named the "Apple Geniuses" to find a better suited job for them, perhaps chopping wood...in sim city. Or perhaps as target practice for the NRA. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    The World

11. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. Really? LOL!

12. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    Honest to Allah, or God, or Hindu Gods...whatever tickles your fancy.

It was a different person this time, but my god are they helpless.

13. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    My personal favourite games:

Star Wars: Empire at War (Real Time Strategy with a believable Star Wars theme)

Machinarium (A beautiful point-and-click puzzler)

COD: 4 (doesn't need an explanation)

Caster (An indie platformer/third person shooter, really nice)

Braid (another puzzler. But this ones based around manipulating time. Really well done)

All these can be bought on the Mac App Store (if you have Snow Leopard which you probably do if you bought your Mac new.