Old Classic RPG now on iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CrimsonGemSaga, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonGemSaga

Jul 30, 2010
    We crossed our fingers, although it's harder to type like this:) and hope it will be available on the App Store by the end of this week.

2. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Nice! That's excellent news. The App Store needs more RPGs of this caliber.

3. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    So, is there any actual info on this game beyond screenshots? What are the controls? What's the price? What are the differences between the PSP version and this one?

There's precious little in this thread so far!

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's a gameplay video on their Facebook page. The description on the on the Nate Games website said that it was the whole game (over 400 MBs of assets). But yeah, this thread doesn't have a heck of a lot of info.

5. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    Well...there's hope that this version will be good and excitement from seeing the screenies...but beyond that...in essence there's nothing at all...but it's really the feeling that counts.

Besides, when it does come out everyone will be pleasantly (hopefully) surprised.

6. Solid Snake Man

Solid Snake Man Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    EMT/Instrumentalist
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought the PSP version day one when it was released a while back, I was shocked to find it was coming to the iPhone. Really great characters, fun story, fantastic classic RPG gameplay, quite a difficulty curve near the middle though if I remember correctly.. Really looking forward to purchasing it again on the iPhone, maybe I'll finally beat it this time around!

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #47 Eduku, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    Well, here's some info I fished out for the game for those who were a bit short on details:

The main character is called Killian von Rohcoff, and the game starts off at his graduation from a prestigious military academy. Which he apparently misses. The plot seems to revolve around his adventures with Spinel, an elf girl with an apparent dislike for wearing lots of clothing. Or normal amounts of clothing, for that matter.

The game features 2D isometric visuals, complete with 2D sprites which are apparently animated quite well. The environments and portraits seem to be hand-drawn.

The PSP version features voice-acting for major cutscenes, but I don't know if this will be the case for the iPhone version.

The game features towns, fields and dungeons. In towns, you can wander around, with various NPCs to talk to and shops to buy equipment from. In towns and fields, a map can be brought up, but maps are disabled in dungeons, which can apparently be quite long.

Battles can take place in the field and in dungeons. Similar to the more recent installments of the 'Tales of...' JRPG series, battles are initiated via the player coming into contact with enemies which are visible on the field and dungeon screens. This means no random encounters. Also, like some 'Tales of...' games, if an enemy sees the player, they will give chase, and if they tag you from behind, they'll gain the upper hand in battle, and vice versa if you manage to tag them from behind. Apparently enemies run about twice as fast as you do if they spot you on the map though, so running away is apparently kinda hard once they do.

The battles themselves are turn based, with the turn order displayed along the top of the screen, so you know exactly who's going next. All the standard options are there (attack, skill, item, etc.), and multi-character combination actions can be performed.

Escape from battle is more than the standard 'random chance to flee', it features a wheel of sorts (as seen in the video) that you have to press at the right time for your escape to be successful.

After the battle, the usual rewards are given (money, XP, etc.) as well as skill points, which can be allocated to character-specific skill trees. Advanced skills are 'hidden' at first and previous skills must be allocated to 'reveal' that skill, and only after then can points be allocated into them. These skill trees allow the player to build their characters into various different types of fighters.

Aside from the main quest, there are a good deal of sidequests to do. A few of these seem to be 'fetch quests', but others are a lot more substantial.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, saving can be done at any time outside of battle. None of that save point business.

Hope this info helps.

8. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    Lol...the humor and story were a huge draw factor for me to the PSP version. Opening chests and getting those different crack-me-up comments were really one of the major highlights of the game. (Smelling urine to restore hp...xD)

o_O...that's some excellent info digging you've done there...

9. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  11. Liberty Wings

Liberty Wings Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    $9.99???!!

It better be 10 times better than Angry Birds!

12. DR!FTb0!86

DR!FTb0!86 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    #52 DR!FTb0!86, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010