Universal Oquonie (By David Mondou-Labbe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 18, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'd love to give impressions but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, there's no menu that I can see, from what I can gather you walk around every now and then an animal will hold up three symbols, which it's seems you need to collect to get past them, walking around some of the animals give you those pieces and it seems once you collect three pieces you transform into another animal. That's all I know, I'm just wandering round in what feels like circles. In some of the various rooms there's objects like plants or could eons but it doesn't seem you can interact with them.
    The art and music is great but with no clue what I'm doing I'm not sure how long it will hold my attention.
    There's also a few small dots around the play area, not sure what they are for.
    I'm not familiar with the devs other game, and I'm not saying this is crap, it could be the best game ever but I've no clue what I'm doing. I've seen people mention maps but I can't find any.
    I'm gonna check that wiki link posted earlier in the hope that has some info.

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Reminds me of some old spectrum/c64 games

3. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Been playing a while and I am just mesmerized! I have no idea what the hell is going on. The game just starts. No hand holding at all. But I'm intrigued enough to keep going.

4. iamheffe

iamheffe Active Member

Feb 11, 2013
    #24 iamheffe, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    From what I can tell after you pick up 3 of the same symbols, you'll turn into whatever the symbols represented (bird, rabbit, etc) and then you need to find the door with that symbol and it opens an additional level. When you engage an NPC and they post an array of 3 symbols, those represent what symbols they can hold (and *maybe* give out).

I've unlocked about 6 'levels' although I have no idea (seems to be the theme of this game) what the hell I'm supposed to be doing exactly...

It's a strange, strange journey.

5. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I'm on the fence, the art is reaaally beautiful, but if there's nothing to do, i'm not sure i'll buy it.. There are so much new games, i bought a lot of them and i don't have any time to play.

Maybe i'll wait a bit for further impressions.

6. smsgrafica

smsgrafica Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Is there any more to do...
    ...after becoming a fish? I've found the room with the guy on the pile of stuff asking for scribbled symbols, but if I talk to a shark my character is reset. It doesn't seem to give me the needed symbols...

7. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    As far as I can tell, each
    zone of the megastructure requires you to be a certain animal incarnation to enter it. And within each zone is also a hidden doorway that only appears if you are a specific animal incarnation. On finding this door, you enter a room that results in you collecting a red pillar. My guess is once you have all the red pillars, you can enter the game's sole coloured door, and that will be it completed. So the main puzzle is figuring out the locations of the animals that provide you with incarnation tokens, and then figuring out how to get from zone to zone, and THEN figuring out where the hidden doors are. There's a lot of backtracking and headache involved, due to the game's wilful obfuscation regarding language and Escher-like pathways. Right now, I'm wondering if it's really worth the effort, despite how pretty the game is

8. dominostars

dominostars Active Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Independent Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA
    This looks unique and beautiful, bought it without hesitation and looking forward to what it has to offer.

9. I loved the game. I'm absolutely obsessed with it, even though I've nothing left to find. I'm pretty sure I even dreamed about it last night. I highly recommend it unless you have zero patience. And even then I would still recommend it. Such a work of art.
    If you do play and really get stuck, I've been working on a guide/walkthrough. At the moment it's mostly tips and hints (and beware spoilers), but feel free to also ask for less spoiler-y hints.

http://www.appunwrapper.com/2014/02/19/oquonie-walkthrough-and-strategy-guide/

10. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    How long did you take to finish the game?

11. I don't know the exact amount of playtime, but I couldn't put it down so I finished the main content in the first day. I didn't realize there was bonus content until the next day, though.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    After a first struggling hour the game really clicked with me and now I'm having a total blast.
    The art is just gorgeous.

13. nostalgia dev.

nostalgia dev. Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Prague
    I need to know! How did you managed to get here: http://www.appunwrapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140219-115410.jpg with pig:))

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #34 Pitta, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Did I just lost everything (I was at the fourth red pillar) because I just touched the little circle in the lower right corner during loading while holding the phone????
    No prompt, no warning, anything????

EDIT: dev informed me via twitter he has patched this already, next update.
    So till then, watch out.
    Game is still great tough.

15. Yeah, that happened to me too, but I think after like 2 pillars. Luckily I was able to get back to where I was fairly quickly. I also put a warning in my walkthrough for that.

16. nostalgia dev.

Feb 3, 2014
    Prague
    i know it's location, but i dont know ho did you get there playing as PIG, because to be able to enter to this area you need to be DINO :)

17. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #38 Glorkbot, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    I had nightmares about playing the game last night! But by the end of the dreams, I won!

In real life, I did NOT win the game. I've actually been stuck for the past hour of gameplay, going in circles. In the game you continue cycling through the same set of areas, trying to collect the stuff you need to unlock new areas. But even once you unlock a new area, you're soon back to where you started.

Your progress makes these little obelisks appear by doors... which I think is an indicator that you "finished" that area. Your progress also seems to make a little tree grow.

I definitely recommend it, if you appreciate the art and don't mind being totally confused for a while.

18. Notice the other pig in the room ;)
    That's part of the fun!

19. nostalgia dev.

Feb 3, 2014
    Prague
    well i know that i need to get here with dino carrying two pig pieces.. but i just can't:D