Universal Order & Chaos - Universal MMO - Official TA Guild Jam Packed w/240 Players [v1.0.2]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Apr 26, 2011.

1. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    It's not easy for long :)

2. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    anybody finished the quest "Crime Scene Investigation"? The NPC to turn the quest in is not there near the overturned wagon

3. Tarroc

Tarroc Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm a little unsure about buyin it right away

My only question is, how fast does it start? Does it use fast app swiching? I play only some minutes, but it would suck, if I had to wait 1 or 2 minutes until I can play, like on the other mmos in iOS.

4. Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Is this a bit laggy for anyone?

Other than that, I love it. I never played WoW but this has sucked me in.

5. wordddd

wordddd Active Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I know this is a new game and all, but does anyone know where I can find a guide on how I should set up my talent tree/specs?

6. BradPat

BradPat Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Is there any way to fix this stupid 3003 connection error? :-(

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Almost no loading times at all.
    At startup, maybe 6-8 seconds.

8. Tarroc

Tarroc Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Really? Sounds amazing ;)

9. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I sank a few hours into this game last night, feels much more like a full fledged mmo then I was expecting, the world is busy, people load up quickly instead of having to wait minutes for data to me sent, has all the traditional npc stores and fetch quests :p well worth £4 so far.

My only gripes are quests where you all fight over one single re-spawning object or item, might have been best to make those come from something everyone can share from at least in the lower level areas where everyone wants them.

Good solid fun so far.

10. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    You can tell that gameloft has put in the effort to perfect the layout for mobile devices. But, even with perfect planning, it will still leave me unsatisfied in the end. PvE might be workable on my iPhone. But PvP will be a jumble of bad angles, inexact movements, and missed buttons.

Beautiful accomplishment. I'm just sad that a top-tier MMO can't be made to work on a phone (I'm so spoiled, haha).

11. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    you have to wait there for a while for her to show up

12. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    funny i just did that mission, i'm on level 15 i could never figure out what to do. a woman shows up after a long while. then u gotta follow her as she gets attacked by tons of mobs. then she points at some goblins, i ran off and started killng them all, when i returned she was gone. i dont have the entry in the quest log anymore. i dont think i got a reward.. my advice to you is dont run off on her.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Because grouping is a tricky thing to do well on a mobile mmo this game might have been better if it was mostly a solo run game, only require grouping for dungeons with rare loot while the rest is possible alone.

Maybe it is like that since i'm only a few hours in but it would be for the best for a portable game.

14. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    thanks so much!

15. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The game is favorably comparable, but live up to? No.

They've done a very, very good job of capturing the essence and mechanics of a MMO in the game, and the look is pure vanilla WoW, but I also can't help but notice that it's oh so generic in those mechanics. It's like they had a checklist of everything "iconic" about classic MMOs that will spark some sort of feeling in people who ever played.

Courier quests? Check
    Reskins of common beasties as you level? Check
    Crafting with farmed mob items? Check
    Spawn camping? Check ;)
    ...etc...

The question that keeps running through my head as I've sunk time into the game is am I so enthralled because

a) It's a new MMORPG and I'm a novelty junkie?
    b) It's on a handheld, a freakin' handheld! :eek:
    c) It's actually a good game in spite of whatever objective flaws exist
    d) Some combination of a, b, & c.

If I consider things objectively, I'd be better off spending the same time I've played this getting back into Guild Wars (after three years anything grows stale) - better graphics, better controls, better mechanics, better balance, better, well, pretty much everything minus the swimming and auction house. Or, heck, I could even pick up a WoW expansion I never got around to and probably even get my money's worth out of that before I'd have to add any time to my account. Yet, here I am playing this instead of those or even another iOS game, which leads me to consider that, for now, it's probably more a) the novelty factor with a healthy dose of b) the fact it's on a handheld device because although I'm having a lot of fun so far, I'm not ready to declare it a *good* game in and of itself yet having sunk years of gaming into WoW and GW.

Whether the game can survive the honeymoon period is going to depend on how deep the actual game is and I don't think anyone can offer an objective assessment of that yet. Spend two days with Dungeon Hunter 2 and you think you have a pretty good Diablo clone - spend two weeks with it, though, and you know you have a very, very shallow Diablo clone that is broad but no deeper than a creek you'd have a hard time drowning an ant in.

So, sure, I see a big map, I see lots of levels, I see a massive talent tree, I see lots of gold and time sinks, but what I don't see yet is how well all this fits together to create a lasting game.

With 3 character slots and 3 months "premium" for that $7, it's hard to argue the game isn't worth picking up for anyone looking for something new in the abstract when it comes to MMOs - you can certainly get your money's worth, would never think of arguing otherwise, but whereas WoW truly did create a world for you to tromp around in, and GW perfected the art of having a true thinking mans's action game, so far, this just looks like "something to do" until you get tired of it.

---------

As for the elephants in the room, generic mechanics aside, one of the things I can't grokk is the fact they've gone and made it into an MMO but, so far, I can't for the life of me see why anybody bothers partying up for any reason other than minimizing spawn camping. I can barely stand non-voice communication on PC MMOs - the system in this game is beyond painful. It needs some sort of "team speak" functionality or it's going to break down to friends/family playing in their living room where they can chat with each other and the bigger social side is going to fall apart in short order when people realize they're constantly sacrificing a lot of screen real estate to the most inefficient chat system I've ever dealt with - it's bad for those who want to be social, it's bad for those who don't want to be social (still unclear how much grouping will be necessary down the road - that's another mechanic quirk that can always be done wrong ;) - too much emphasis on grouping and you drive away people who don't have time to spend getting PUGs or waiting on online friends to show up, too little and there's no social hook to keep you playing)

16. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I've been our of the country and just found out about this release this morning. Without reading dozens of pages of posts, I have a few questions. I can't get this until Sunday or Monday, so I was curious about a few things.

1. Is this a beta? We there be a character wipe at some point?

2. Are there instances? Around how many zones and any clue about the level cap?

3. Has Gameloft said anything about their plans for future updates?

4. Any idea what the IAP is for (gear, mounts, costumes etc) ?

I'm really excited and look forward to responses from those playing the game!

17. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    For me it's a combination of these. I try new MMORPGs regularly and if it's as cheap as this one, why not? Also, it runs on a handheld! :eek:

I actually really think they did a fairly good job at creating an enjoyable game. It doesn't have many of the flaws that early desktop MMORPGs had and they did an excellent job reducing it to something that is actually playable on a telephone :)eek:!). When I play, it feels like things just work. This is rare on desktop computers but even more so on handhelds...

I mean let's face it, even if all you ever do is grind mobs for experience, it's even fairly good for that compared to many single player hack&slash titles.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

O.k., I've tried and estimated the time from pressing the apps button until I am in game. Including the Gameloft splash screen, the apps loading time, the login and the world loading - just around 40 seconds.

19. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Not as far as I know.

I have not seen any instances yet. According to the ingame map, there are seven major zones spread out across three islands. They are not huge compared to desktop MMORPGs but still pretty freakin' large for a mobile game. The level cap appears to be 60.

Not aware of anything, but one thing is there are PvP arenas that aren't in the game yet and the NPCs there tell you they're going to be implemented in a future update.

You can buy the ingame currency, some timed attribute and exp buffs, in-place resurrections, vanity pets, stuff like that but nothing really useful. Oh right and the monthly subscription. That is probably useful.

Mounts are not in the game at all apparently.

20. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Anyone got the quest where you need to get some flowers and a blue wrapping paper.

Where do you buy that blue wrapping paper?