OS 3.0... Worth it for iPod touch users?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XGLITE, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ponagathos

Ponagathos Member

May 6, 2009
    It is about 259 MB

That was the size of the download. I am not sure how much of a bump up that might be from the last version of the software.

I decided to buy it although very disappointed we still have no folder support so I could have all my apps on my touch 2g. I thought I had read there would be two extra pages for apps but it seems there is only one and the search icon.

The search feature is great though. It is extremely fast and of course starts displaying a list of results as soon as you type a couple letters. It will find anything on your device except photos it seems. This is a great new feature. I also heard that it might find installed apps that are "overflow" and are not visible on your pages. I have not confirmed that though.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Going to fully charge my 2G Touch today and play a bunch of app's, taking note on when I started and when I get the 20% power message. So far the battery icon is still fairly full when normally it would nearly be half way, but it could just be my mind playing tricks with me. I still have wifi on and screen brightness at about 40%

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Because you CAN easily add a mic to the iPod Touch (2nd Generation at least).

4. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    As far as I can tell, 1G iPods don't benefit much from this update. I want my jailbreak soon.

5. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    This is funny because I hadn't heard anything about better battery life, but I was thinking earlier that it doesn't seem to be draining as fast, even though usage is the same (or more in fact, due to playing with the 3.0 update).

Seems there may be something in this.

6. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    If anything, my battery life is dying much faster now. Before the update, a 40 minute video took off like 15% to watch without WiFi connection, now it's 25%.

7. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    having loads of bugs on my ipod touch 2g.

1. When I turn on, I get a black screen for about 10 seconds
    2. Opening apps such as settings and stocks are choppy/laggy
    3. Sliding over to Spotlight is really choppy/laggy at times
    4. Some games laggs alot suddenly
    5. Some games are missing audio even if its turned up at full (for example the game Bugz)
    6. In coverflow in the music app its very laggy and some artists suddenly are named "Various Artists"

8. dancy

dancy Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    You can get a lot of the functionality that comes with 3.0 by simply jailbreaking. If you don't game on your iPod, then no. Like I said many of the features have been around already. But if you game, then it is unavoidable.

9. cloudlesssky22

cloudlesssky22 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    My sentiment exactly.

10. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I think I'm going to wait. There are no upcoming games that I'm that excited about, but I do have hundreds of current apps, and I'd rather not lose functionality in the early stages of this transition.

11. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    One cool feature for ipod touch (both generations) is being able to download tv shows and movies now. I didn't see that mentioned.
    I didn't realize the bluetooth and peer to peer was for 2G ipod touches only. Oh well, I guess you have to read the fine print.

12. Petrus

Petrus Well-Known Member

You now get 11 pages

13. madsoul

Dec 4, 2008
    i hate not having those features over here in europe :(

14. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Sweet!! :D

15. iPodtouchfancarjacks

iPodtouchfancarjacks Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    north carliona
    crashed

mine crashed right in the middle and now it just showes the pluge in with the itunes disc now i have to go to the apple store tonight and i amm fucing maddd

16. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I thought everyone got the same features with 3.0.
    Love your app "bugz", by the way.

17. madsoul

Dec 4, 2008
    atleast here in Sweden we cant rent/buy movies and tv-shows in itunes sadly.

thanks btw! i was not part of the Bugz production but il tell the coder you like it. :)

18. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I don't think the 2g iPod has bluetooth (though I'd love to hear that I'm wrong)

As it pertains to the update, It's not really a matter of if it is worth it, but rather will you shell out the $10 now or later. If you're going to keep purchasing apps for your iPod, eventually a game will come out that you really want, and guess what, it will require the 3.0 update. So run away from it if you want, but chances are you will eventually get it anyway. If the plan is to hold out until the next generation of iPods, then it will definetly come with the update, so in that case, wait (and wait, and wait...) ...or just get it.

19. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    You're wrong :D

Bluetooth all present and correct after 3.0 update.

20. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    1. wow i never knew the ipod had bluetooth :D

2. i'm still unsure wether to get it or not but i probably will because some app with come out and i'll really want it but i won't be able to. still annoyed though cuz i just got a gift card and most of it will be wasted now ...