Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by simulated, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    Update?????????

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Only a week til 2012, and still nada. Am losing faith in them.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Your losing faith in them now? Lol, I lost faith in Ossian Studios a couple months ago.

4. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    It takes time to make a game. Heaven forbid any of you guys wait for one.

5. ADR GANG

ADR GANG Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Right. This is why most of the iOS games feel rush and full of bugs. When the developer quick to relase a game to satisfy all of you, you whine and bitch about it doesnt have "enough content" or "full of bugs". But when they take time to perfect their game so you can enjoy the full experience of the game you still bitch and moan. Really, nothing can satisfy you guyss.

This is why iOS games cannot be compared to console games. Just think if games such as GTA IV were made in just 2 or 3 months like the iOS game, would it be one of the greatest games in the history like it is today? Let's be patient and let the developer slowly develop their games for us beofre start to bash them.

6. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I do get what you're trying to say, but it does not take 2 years to fix a game.

7. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I'm with this guy. I think it's the lack of updates and missing release windows without a word (as far as I know) that loses peoples' hopes. Ah well.

8. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Its funny how all of you "losing faith" are so very ignorant.

If I remember correctly the last developer to post was talking about the art assets for the game, and that, the assets, were taking a very long time to finish up.

Redoing art is probably one of the most time consuming and tedious tasks in game development. It takes a VERY long time to go threw and redo all of the art work. Design the art work, design the world, design the costumes, weapons, animals, weather effects, ground textures, characters.

Not to mention animating every single piece of art that needs to be animated. And for a 3D game like this thats a lot of assets that need to be animated.

The story needs to be good, and that takes many revisions, in order to ensure that its not some run of the mill cliché story.

Ive had my eye on this since its announcement and can wait longer so long as the time was well justified.

Hell the project could have been scrapped altogether, or the Team Leader could have made the devs sign an NDA and no one is allowed to talk anymore about the game.

You are not in their studio so you do not know what is going on. Get off your high horse and stop claiming you're "losing faith." Because at the end of the day your gonna end up getting the game.

9. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Sheesh..

This is what people are afraid of... U explain it in ur own post why people may be "losing faith".....

10. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    What I mean is that people are "losing faith" for the wrong reasons. If anything a long development period should increase your faith in a greater game being released. Long development times do not necessarily mean the game will be awesome (i.e Duke Nukem Forever) but the chances are pretty high. They get more time to make sure everything works well and runs well. As well as making sure that everything looks great and the story and battle mechanics work seamlessly.

11. Nuke77

Nuke77 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Fine...

Here's the thing...if they need more time to finish the game, fine, super, stupendous! But how about a little bit of a heads-up that they're not going to make the deadline. Come on guys, how long has it been? You HAVE to have something finished that you could show us! I mean, seriously, how much is it to ask for one single measly screenshot? We've been sitting here waiting and watching you miss deadline after deadline without (it seems) a care or a slice of effort to inform your fans that it's probably not going to happen. So yeah, it's hard to keep faith in a developer like that. All I can say is, this game had better drop jaws if they ever want to recover from this, otherwise, the pitch forks might come out.

12. megasiech

megasiech Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    still hope!

read that post from the Producer from Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:01 pm:

"If I were an excited fan waiting for a game for over a year, I would probably feel disappointed too if it still hadn’t been released. But I’m a developer, so I have to deal with project issues on the opposite side of the fence, which are invisible to fans. Hence if some people on the team have had personal problems that have resulted in production delays, that’s not something you’d know about. All we can tell you is that the team is hard at work on the game and development has never stopped once in the last 23 months. That will continue until the game is finished and released.

So please, before some of you go signing off as ex-fans or calling TSS vaporware, consider that people on the TSS team at Ossian are only human. Sometimes unexpected stuff happens and you cope with it as best you can. Some of the greatest games created were released after multiple delays. Neverwinter Nights from BioWare is one I have personal experience with, after being announced in 1999 but pushed back by multiple delays, it was only released in 2002. I know fans of NWN were more vocal in their disappointment with each subsequent delay, but in the end the game was great and worth the wait.

So concerning a release date for TSS, I will update you about that as soon as I can.
    - Alan

source: http://ossianstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=255&start=50

13. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
  14. Kbom

Kbom Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Well spoken :)

15. paineyes

paineyes Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    i guess there's a lesson which every ios devs should learn here in terms of promotion of the game. Perhaps developers should wait till the apps is about 75% completed with sufficient media for showing before the initial announcement is made. Making the initial announcement with no media update for a long period of time is only going to frustrate the audience, and in turn causing the promotion of the game to backfire.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    These are wise, wise words.

17. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

18. paineyes

paineyes Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    dont get me wrong though. yes, we know its hell trying to make a game behind the scene, but in exchange, hopefully the devs should put themselves in the customers shoes too. we've been through a long time of empty promises of "soon", "we're putting up a video now", "get ready", there's only so much patience a person can have. Starving everyone so much with not even a still render or some concept art as proof that there are progress in the development, is horrible marketing management. its a psychological thingy. hearing numerous delays with nothing shown, spells "development trouble" and "bad schedule planning", not "needing time to polish up the game quality".

I understand the saying "A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever.", but please don't abuse it and make it into an excuse here. no ill feeling though, I just want to put things into a better angle to explain why many people are losing the patience.

19. Luke Scull

Luke Scull Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    We hear you, guys. The fact is, we announced the game too early and the sheer amount of artwork the project requires has been a frequent source of unanticipated delays. Lesson learned for next time.

We're all working as hard as we can to get the game finished. We're still preparing the trailer video and we expect to have a batch of new screenshots soon. We're getting close.

Before anyone asks, I don't have an updated ETA for you - missing another release window would be a disaster, so we want to be certain we're near ready to ship before committing to anything.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the candid words. Glad to here that you guys are still making progress.