Universal OTTTD - (by SMG Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 21, 2014.

1. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    My party is Assault, Bombardier and Engineer.

First 2 guys are amazing. Only downside is Bombardier can't shoot at flying targets.

I keep trying to replace the Engineer with something else but find not having the remote repair option a huge issue, at least in the last level where stuff breaks a lot and it's hard to repair them as enemies come nearly non-stop so guys shoot at them rather then repairing.

How do you guys who don't use Engineers deal with fixing stuff? Lots of movement micromanagement?

SMG, do you have an ETA for more missions?

2. Rendous

Rendous Active Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I'm running a rocket/bomb/assault squad with the final weapon upgrades for the rocket and bomb. With those two dealing most of my damage, I just pay to repair any broken turrets. Those two are pretty crazy by endgame.

v/r

3. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    #183 SMG Studio, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    That's pretty concerning, I've never seen that happen before so will have to try to work out what's going on. Also the 11/10 thing is crazy - did you have it maxed and then at some point you just noticed it had an extra skill rank? Maybe that's where the missing skill point went somehow..

There's two divergent aspects of play style around the Engineer. If you don't have him in your lineup you'll probably want to make good use of Shield Emitters so you're not wasting a fortune on repairs. It's a viable tactic but it ties up potentially valuable build points - it's the tradeoff for bringing different skills in instead via another hero.

-

As for new missions, pretty soon. We're aiming to submit next update in late June and it'll contain several endless-mode maps (some new, some favourites from campaign with endless waves). We're aiming to add a few regular levels to the campaign list as well. So far I have a sandy sequel to "Surrounded", a map with only one build point, and some other crazy ideas.

World 3 will be a bit further down the track but hopefully not too long. That'll be at least 10 additional (probably long) campaign levels, hopefully more.

pat@smg

4. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    I should also note that you can spec the Engineer as a respectable damage dealer via impact/mg adept skills. In levels where you have a lot of energy and fire resistance (these are going to become much more prominent as well) he's one of your best options for impact damage.

pat@smg

5. GaussEX

GaussEX Member

Jan 10, 2013
    The only problem is unless you restart it kind of hard to spec the engineer as a damage dealer. Like for him, I got all his skills until I realized that's not how it worked.

Also I use assault and rocketeer as my damage dealers. Then I pair with either scientist or saboteur. This way I can target the cloakers, and have 1 of each damage type. Moreover the jet pack sends my rocketeer everywhere for repairs and shoot anywhere.

6. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Ah I forgot to mention on that note - we'll put some kind of respec option in one of the next updates. We're also working on an encyclopaedia for enemies, towers, etc... too much to do!

7. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I maxed out Reload Adept at level 27 using up all my skill points. When assault leveled to 28 I noticed only 2 skill points awarded, I checked skill tree and noticed that 11/10. I did put all 3 points from level 27 into Reload Adept; I might have just smashed the add skill point button until all 3 points were used up. Not sure if that made a difference or if it somehow saved an add. Anyway, here is an image of what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

YES! I had been meaning to ask for this. It would be nice to able to view stats for towers and enemies.

And a reset skills option would be great as well.

Thanks for the great game!

Attached Files:

8. theopla

theopla Member

May 7, 2014
    #188 theopla, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    I'm dying for the new ENDLESS MODE update, I have like lvl. 80 heros cuz I kept replaying the whole campaign just for fun!! And it gets boring when I keep winning.

9. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Just finished the main campaign. Can't wait for new content!

Saw on the website that the game will be released on PC. It will be awesome to play it in a big screen. There's an ETA for that?

I had the 11 skills problem with my Recon. I mashed the train button and then realized I ended up with 11 points on Deadshot.
    I also received only 2 points upon gaining a level with my engineer once, but can't remember on which level that happened.

Attached Files:

10. theopla

theopla Member

May 7, 2014
    Don't worry, endless mode and some new levels are coming!!

11. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I don't know why I love this game so much. Live never been addicted to a TD before, but I can safely say I am addicted to this one. I think it has to be because of the free form tower building, I never feel like I have to use certain towers to finish a map. And there are no IAP to use in game. I feel like this is mostly an RTS with TD elements, and that's what makes it shine. I love you SMG.

12. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    How are you guys leveling your heroes at high levels? I have a level 33, 38 and 39 hero, but even playing the last level it now takes about 3 replays to level once. Am I missing a better way?

13. Rendous

Rendous Active Member

Jun 21, 2013
    4.5 stars!!! Congrats SMG!

14. TheBigBass

TheBigBass Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Lvl 8 is a lot faster and still yields good exp. That's what I've been doing. My heroes are between 40 and 50 now.

15. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Update on the update:
    We've got five new campaign missions that we're doing the last bit of balancing on, as well as two endless missions. We'll possibly have additional endless missions that are reused from existing campaign maps but it takes a a LOT of testing to balance them (thanks Theopla!) so we'll drop those into updates as they're ready. So seven new maps should get submitted this coming week and possibly additional endless extras.

As for levelling up your heroes, the long-plan for us would be working on totally new game modes to create loads of different ways to level/outfit heroes. In the interim I hope the endless levels will help here, but rest assured we'll be prototyping some cool new things to add the broader OTTTD campaign very soon.

That said, I'm worried you guys are going to be overpowered for the update content if you're grinding the shark too much :)

We're making some of those new levels pretty brutal in the hopes it lasts you guys as long as possible, but I'll be making sure you can get through them with lvl 20-ish heroes, and probably second-top tier weapons (and of course perfect tactics). Ideally they should continue straight on from Midboss Revenge on the difficulty curve.

For reference, here's my Fort Gib play-through (by all accounts one of the current hardest levels) using Heroes at lvl 14, 17, and 19. Using mid(ish) tier weapons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIngIxp5p8 - I did make a few obvious blunders in this run, but hopefully it shows that it's not necessary to grind loads of levels or shell out early for superweapons.

It was awesome to see in Eric's review that he played through the game and (like most) was not hindered by iAP. We really did try to design this so that good tactics and a well-crafted hero team will carry you.

Thanks for all for the comments!

pat@smg

16. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Is the armor update coming soon?

17. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Yep, armor too. And some other stuff :)

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I had this game on wish list i thought it was 2.99 what happened. :( i can't buy it now unless i go buy another AppStore and i can't for another week.

19. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    Can't wait. This is one of the best tower defense games I've played. Great implementation of heroes. One of the few games I've liked enough play long enough to beat, and then continue playing. Hope it gets featured by Apple at some point.

How will the endless levels work in terms of income? Will you earn more the longer the more waves you last? Will there be a cap?

Would be cool if there was an incentive to lasting a very long time.. nothing for 99 waves, wave 100 earns you some unique armor or weapon.. or unlocks some new hero skill.

20. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    It went up to 5$ as planned. It's totally worth it, especially with the huge new updates coming :)

Please don't complain about a premium experience. It's 5$, don't buy a soda today or tomorrow and your good to go.