Our (poor) experience advertising with PocketGamer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jamesj3k, Mar 5, 2009.

1. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Hey guys sorry to bring the topic up again, but I feel the need to vent about Pocket Gamer as well. Our game has been getting great reviews over the last few weeks on a slew of other sites, 9.0, gold awards, editors pick! Enter Pocket Gamer, a 6... what? I know its not that bad of a score and I'm not that upset about it (anymore) not every review can be great right? But I get the feeling that these guys have some sort of chip on their shoulder. They gave iDracula a 7, I mean come on, I think they take themselves way to seriously... Anyways sorry for the rant, but I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt.

2. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    You should also note that Pocket Gamer has been doing this a lot longer than everyone else. You're being compared to Gameboy Advanced, Nintendo DS and PSP games there. It just happens that the iPhone is the hot topic these days.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Also to be fair, and this isn't directed at your app specifically... but a lot of the, what I'll call "amateur" sites, tend to give overly glowing reviews, in my opinion. Part of the strategy for some of them I think is to get their names listed in developer's app descriptions or otherwise linked.

arn

4. bit_Jon

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    good points, and I hear what both of you are saying. I just wanted to rant a bit more than anything. To the point about being compared to GBA, DS and PSP games; do you think this is fair? While I do think the iPhone is becoming a legit gaming platform, it's sill a different animal all together.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I like your game :)

6. bit_Jon

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    #26 bit_Jon, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks GatorDeb:D. BitCaper likes you too!

7. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    i love your game, those other sites were right and PG was wrong.....

8. bit_Jon

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Yeah that's what we keep telling ourselves :) Thanks for the vote of confidence!