iPhone Out There - Sci-fi RPG / Simulation with 70's comics graphics

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mikahslash, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikahslash

mikahslash Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Creative Director
    Lyon, France
    Thanks Cromwell!
    My graphics are very inspired by vintage pulp comics books.
    The game should run on iPad 1.

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

3. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Ah that's a shame, but I'm always happy when a dev looks more concerned by quality than by christmas sales.

4. mikahslash

Nov 25, 2009
    Creative Director
    Lyon, France
    Out There release postponed, public beta soon

Hello

We are receiving a lot of messages regarding the release date of Out There. And we answer now that the game is nearly finished !

While the game was planned to be released this autumn, we decided to postpone to early 2014 for the iOS / Android versions and later on in 2014 for PC / Mac.

We are working on Out There since January of 2013 and if the game is very close to our first idea, the players feedback we’ve got during shows convinced us to push the idea further.

We are confident that this extra development time is essential to allow us to bring a unique experience to those who dream to explore the stars from their tablet.

Good news is, we’re about to launch a public beta-test very soon. We have limited slots. So follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook if you don't want to miss it !

5. mikahslash

Nov 25, 2009
    Creative Director
    Lyon, France
  6. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks mikahslash!

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The twitch live streaming was pretty awesome...the game shows a really nice level of polish and sleekness already.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I just a spent some quality time with the beta (well...much more than I had anticipated) and I came out very impressed.

First thing you notice....it's how slick is the whole package...the intro/tutorial is really VERY well done...in less than 5 minutes you are ready to go, already sucked in the space void.

The whole mechanics are simple yet deep (and it's just the start...I really had nothing but the starting gears and found two new things...) and after some runs you start to make some progresses.
    You have a very clear target and things to manage....how to do that...well, that's the tricky part.

In my case, the game perfectly captivated the loneliness in the space and the struggle to survive...cant' wait to go back home and play more!!!!

I didn't knew exactly what to expect from the game, and it's a bit different from what I had anticipated, but in a good way...I sense I'll have many hours of fun dying in the space in the future.

9. killercow

I knew you'd post here too :) I'm a bit jealous as I'm not in the beta... Well at least I'll discover the game in its finished state. Have fun!

10. Grettir0

Grettir0 Active Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I'm not being rude but usually when people say release date they refer to an exact date

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Sitting on my hands waiting for the devs to give a solid release date on this! This is one of those "shut up and take my money" futurama meme moments!

12. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Okay, just a quick question for the beta testers/devs. Is this game rogue-like, or it has a save system?

I'm crossing my fingers for NOT being a rogue-like...

13. killercow

#73 killercow, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Thanks to Mi_Clos (Aka mikahslash here) I was invited in the iOS Beta. Here's my take on it:

Out There is a Rogue Like experience in the vein of FTL but it strays from that formula in a lot of ways. The basic premise is simple: You are an adventurer who's lost in space. If you die, you need to start from scratch. Your goal is to find your way back to Earth. This is where the game is closer to FTL: You access a map of the galaxy and you choose a star system that is in range of your ship to continue your exploration of space and to be one step closer of Earth. In each system you'll find new planets, starbases and stars that you'll be able to explore. On some of those you'll encounter some strange alien races.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In every system that you enter there's a chance that something will happen. A random event that will cripple your ship, give you more resources or maybe even let you encounter a new race. Adopting the "Choose Your Own Adventure" template you'll have multiple choices and they'll lead to different consequences. The aliens that you'll encounter will speak a foreign language that you'll have to learn. The interesting thing is that even though you lose all progress when you die, you can still write every word that you learn and be able to decode it yourself, without the game's help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike FTL there's no combat. Your goal is to survive, your ship is not equipped with any kind of weapons that could destroy ships directly (I found a "weapon" that doesn't target ships but I'm not gonna spoil its use). This means that your main activity will consist in saving up resources and using them in a sparse manner. Out There features three kind of resources or lifebars: Fuel, Oxygen and your ship's Hull.

[​IMG]

You repair and maintain those by finding materials on planet and extracting them from the planet's ground. They all correspond to a different element (He is fuel for example) and they are all pretty hard to find. Don't think that a game without combat is a walk in the park. As it currently stands, the game can be quite brutal and suffers a bit from FTL's chance factor that can ruin a perfect playthrough.

[​IMG]

You'll also be able to find formulas that will help you craft new gear for your ship. But those will take a space in your cargo bay and thus will leave you with less resources. You can also find some new ships along the way that will have more cargo space and new abilities.

[​IMG]

The audio is absolutely top notch (with the music made by the composer of Antichamber's OST) and the art is so gorgeous to look at. Although the beta lacks content for now, Out There has the potential to be something truly unique for any Sci-Fi fan and iOS gamer in general.

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Plus One

15. mikahslash

Nov 25, 2009
    Creative Director
    Lyon, France
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    Preordered it today.
    Hope it plays well on the Galaxy Note 3. Means, I hope that the text is not too small :)
    The soundtrack is available, when it is officially launched, or?

17. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    This is under iPad only forum... But it's universal now. Maybe move it, so others are aware that it's now iPhone aswell as iPad.

Does this have trading in it? Is there hundreds of interesting items to find/use? Each play through is different?

18. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    This is the game I have been looking forward to the most over the last 10 months.... Can't wait! Hurry next Wednesday!!!

Hope it gets new content added regular.
    Maybe if does well, will developer consider doing a new game based on this engine but with combat in it?

19. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Does it have rare finds/items which are also random?

20. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    I am really excited for out there, but have a concern: will the game work on iphone4? :S