Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Stand by for an iPhone trailer in the next couple of days (and the iPhone version looks and plays MUCH better than the desktop version!)

We've tried very hard to get all of the content displayed on the small screen in the same way as the big - a couple of screens have been split in half (as in we've split out some bits to other pages) to make sure that we do display the same amount of information.

Regards,
    Paul Hutson
    Lead Developer - Outer Empires.

2. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    for 5 a month, you get it on PC and iphone, or that's just iphone? Anyhow game looks great! (I'll have to see it first to consider dishing out 5 a month for an iphone game though)

3. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    You get it on both :)

I have to say though - as I've said above - the screens/layout are almost exactly the same on both versions :)

4. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    acually... Once i looked at the controls for the iphone, it had almost everything the pc version has. They dont have hotkeys on the iphone though lol. Also, there's another mmo called Sevenswords only for the "iphone"... I guess they only had it for the iphone port... 3G i guess

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    SevenSwords is now available for iPod Touch also. It doesn't have much depth to it though, only one NPC and no leveling up or anything. This one looks a lot more promising than SevenSwords. Will this be available for Mac computers also?

6. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    It's available on any browser - and, in fact, works rather well on the Safari browser!

EDIT : Best I say that it doesn't work on IE, so people are encouraged to get Chrome, Firefox or safari to play on the browser version.

7. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    This might be a stupid question but if you're playing on your iPhone could you be playing against people on a PC?

I don't know if the online community is split up into PC and iDevice or if they're all just playing together.

8. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009

Yes both the versions interact with each other - i.e. you can see and interact with people on the PC, in the same way you can play with people on the iPhone. It's all *one* galaxy that you're in.

9. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Okay then my next question would be is there any advantage to playing on either platform?

10. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Looks fresh, I'll probably pick it up.

-THIRSTY-

11. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    No, we've tried hard to make it the same sort of experience across both platforms. Granted, using chat in the browser version is easier because of the keyboard.. but apart from that, I'd say no.

12. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    #32 Paul Hutson, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  13. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    This is gonna be so awesome.

For ages i have been wishing for a game that crosses over platforms and allows you to continue your progression regardless of what you are playing on.

14. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Looks like candy for a geek like me :) Reminds me a bit of Lost Empire :)

15. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Say hello to my new addiction.. :D

16. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    #36 Tarcin, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    its like dark nova star wars and spore (the pc version space stage) mashed in one awesome compact little download. What will pricing be? As long as its under 6 bucks im sold.

edit: I read the pocket gamer interview and now I have some questions...

middle of july? That would be awesome! When did you start?

and can we have more info on the subscription your planning?

one more thing. Supposed more than 170,000 players come. Won't you need more space in the galaxy to support all the people?

i cant wait for this :D

17. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    So it seems that if I get the app, I'll still have to pay the $4-$5 a month, yes? It's not really in my price range, at the moment.

How are things from planet to planet? Text based? Or free roam like 3D space trader?

18. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    We started development in earnest in December last year.

Sure, see below... there's another question about it.

We have a vague plan for that - but 170k people is a bit of a pipe dream ;) But, for reference, three people can settle each planet and one per moon.. so there is plenty of space to spread out in...

Yes, that'll be about the size of it - you can play up to level ten (out of fifty) for free and continue playing after that point but not gain any more rank (and you're only allowed one colony).

Once you upgrade you get all of the rank you would've had anyway given to you in one go.

You fly around in space (actually fly around, from an isometric view) from planet to planet.. and hyper jump (there's a trailer on youtube for the iphone version here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAqX56DCRc : to see what I mean).

The colonisation management is done in a user interface type way - there are a few shots of that in the trailer.

If you have more questions do send them over!

Regards,
    Paul Hutson

Lead Developer - Outer Empires.

19. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Looks a lot like a PC game I played last year.. Dunno what the name was.
    Can't wait till its out :D

20. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    Only level 10 without subscription... i dunno now. So we have to pay for the app and subscription? I guess that would be fair....