Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Jun 4, 2009.

1. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    You are paying for the PC version as well if you're describing. I don't know how else to put it, regular MMOs on the PC are like $7-$10 a month. $5 a month for the iPhone and PC version is rather cheap.

2. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I believe other MMOs cost even more than that, I think World of Warcraft is £10/month in the UK, which is (according to XE.com) $16/month.

You can still play Outer Empires if you've not subscribed, but you won't gain any more rank (although it will keep recording it in case you ever do decide to subscribe, and it'll give you all the rank you would've got had you been subscribed all the time).

Regards,
    Paul

3. twick

twick Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Ok, You got me hooked in. I am ready to start this.. Eagerly searching the App Store everyday. Cheers!

4. Rman04

Rman04 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I look forward to this, price seems more thrn reasonable if gameplay is good. A good mmo on the iphone is going to kill work productivity and bat life.

5. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    I wouldn't mind paying $4/mo for a game I can play both on my desktop and iPhone when traveling. The only issue I have with MMOs is they need to be well executed and polished and offer something that will keep me coming back for more. I was apart of the Star Wars Galaxies launch and was so disappointed in that crapfest. This looks entertaining.

If the iPhone app is free I'll try it out.

6. dolly

dolly Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have seen the trailer and I must say Im sold. Looks fantastic.

But what about ingame music and sound effects? Will there be a mood-setting soundtrack?

7. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    The PC version has a very nice soundtrack (the classic new age zenish music of most space games) and if the music is installed with the app, I don't see any reason they would cut it in the iphone version.

8. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I would say the monthly is extremely cheap for an online PC game. The iPhone version is just a bonus.

But I must agree with AttackofthePwned, it must be well executed. But then again, this looks purely awesome :)

9. dolly

dolly Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Cool! I hope the game will run smooth on my ipod touch 1g.

10. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    I think I will try it out, and if I like it, I will plunge in. Because I do pay for WoW lol. Its just that its not my money so thats why I am worried (parents)

11. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    We tested it on my old first gen iPhone a while back and it worked fine, I've not tried it on a first gen ipod touch though (yet, will try to bring one in next week).

12. blk04a4

blk04a4 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    xray tech
    bay area cali
    i agree 100%, i was addicted to WOW for quite some time but then it just became the same thing over and over, this game looks like everyday is new!! ooo lets go colonize some new planets!

13. Squaligy

Squaligy New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Hmmm. I'm hoping (assuming) that Outer Empires is in the sometimes rediculousley long app store review process. I hope you had good communication with the apps store while you were devoloping this game because they will yank it for the smallest reason. I'f you don't mind me asking have you been in communication with the apps store at all?

14. ballistic

ballistic Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009

............:(............. and im sure this game will take even longer to be approved than the usual..... because of all the stuff that needs to be tested on this game.... :(

15. oftheheavens

oftheheavens Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Outer Empires Beta tester review

Well I have been doing the beta testing for about 3 weeks now, and have a brief review for anyone interested in this game.

first of let me start with; this game is unlike any other on the iPhone/pod touch.

After seeing the website http://outer-empires.com/ I thought, ok cool seems like that could be a big area to explore. Total understatement! This game is huge!

You start out at level 1, or cadet, and work your way up from doing jobs. Jobs in the beta stage include delivering goods and exploration (scanning distant planets). By no means does it stop there. While doing these jobs you gain xp and credits (OE money).

First step after getting some credits is to upgrade that scrub of a ship you start out with. I went with the cargo shuttle, so that i could hull more goods and make more cash. Although upgrading your ship isn't that easy (although fun to do), you have to buy the hull, and equip it. Now you can buy all new gear for this light class ship, or the smarter thing to do is strip the old light class ship you started with and use those parts. While the mechanic that chop shops your ship does charge you, it doesn't cost to much. Once you have a new ship the leveling and credit earning speeds up, and now it is time to colonize.

To colonize, it is as simple as finding an empty non-government run system, and them find an empty planet. Now comes the challenging part, you have to utilize the market to find the flatpack (unbuilt buildings used to colonize the planets) needed to start the colonization. You will need a habit fp (flatpack), a water fp and an edible fp to start. you can find more info on all of this at http://wiki.outer-empires.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

that is about where i am now, and as i said i have been playing about three weeks.

now i am not saying this game is perfect (keyword beta). The only frustration i am getting so far is the map system, which we are told will be fixed shortly, and is already ironed out (for the stage the game is in) for the iphone version (i am playing the browser version). Other than the in game map system i am loving this game and can not seem to get away from my computer screen to play fallout 3 (which i am addicted to). Once the map system is fixed, i will be on this game 24/7 browser and iphone.

The game is going to be 4$ a month from what i hear, and for the depth and awesomeness of this game i would gladly pay more. I don't see a mmo topping this anytime soon.

check out the forums http://forums.outer-empires.com/ and the links i posted above and see for yourself. Can't wait till this game is officially released and swarmed with new players. Please leave posts if you have any comments or questions, as I am sure that you will get replies from myself and other beta testers.

16. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Reminds me I got invited to the open beta a few days ago. Need to create an account to check this out. Looking forward to this when it finally goes live. I hope great things are ahead for this game in browser and on the iPhone.

17. oftheheavens

oftheheavens Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    from what is passed to us beta testers, and from how fast we see the dev's correct a bug or implement a feature we talk about, i see this game being huge, and worth a lot of hours of gameplay.

Join the beta and come check it out!

18. Wander

Wander Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Animator
    Los Angeles
    More Beta tester impressions..

Hey guys, though I'd chime in a little bit with how the testing is going. I've been playing the game for about a week now, and I can definitely see how things are starting to unfold.

As oftheheavens stated above, when you first start the game, a lot of your tasks will require shipping cargo around to make more money and climb the XP ranks. In the release version of the game, your rank will determine the size of ship you can pilot. So once you rank up to "medium class" as oppsed to "light class", you can start piloting war ships and the like.

I was lucky enough to be able to jump right into a faction with guildmates from the ill-fated iphone "MMO", CozyQuest, so I'm getting a taste for working in space as a team. It's pretty dang cool being able to start colonies in the same area, then spread your empire while protecting it.

Another enticing aspect of the game is the full PVP. At any time (outside government systems) you can lay waste to other unsuspecting ships and/or colonies. This paves the way for crazy ambushes and full-blown warfare.

As a browser MMO, it's becoming quite fun and addicting, but for me the iPhone app is where it's at. I simply can't wait to be able to check up on my colonies, chat with my faction, and run a couple jobs on my phone while out and about :D

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #59 bigred447uk, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Played the beta for a 3-4 hours so i haven't experienced as much as the posters above, but I am SO looking forward to this game !!!:D

20. Fistfulofdlrz

Fistfulofdlrz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Is there any update on the expected submission date to Apple?