Outer Empires MMO - Coming to iPhone and PC

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by theone1007, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Forget expected dates! Is it too late to be a beta tester? :D

2. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Yes, today. :)

Not too late as yet, get on over to http://www.outer-empires.com : the open browser beta is continuing until Friday this week...

3. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow Paul, wasn't expecting it to be that quick.

When the app is approved will it be released upon approval date with the browser game moving out of beta in order to start taking subscriptions?

If you are planning to submit the app today I am guessing most of the browser bugs are minor at this point?

4. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    The browser game is going live on Monday at 1200 BST (0700 EST), so as soon as the app version is on the app store you'll be able to connect to the live galaxy and play straight away. Those who have already been playing on the browser version will be able to login with their account information and continue playing on the iPhone version straight away.

And yes, most of the browser bugs are fixed - a few minor outstanding ones that we're still working on.

Regards,
    Paul Hutson

5. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Wow cant wait

6. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'

7. Wander

Wander Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Animator
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I just wanna say that Paul has been chatting in game answering questions and making fixes, it's been great. The whole dev team seems very dedicated, I'm really looking forward to the growth of this game...

...and the iPhone app of course! :D

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I can't believe the first proper MMO for iPhone isn't getting more hype ?????

9. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    Outer Empires MMO Releases

[​IMG]

At last, the App has been approved and released on to the App store, we've already submitted the first update.. so a load of fixes and new enhancements are already on the way!

NOTE: The App store description is not showing properly on all stores (we've contacted Apple to get them to update it) however, you can see the full description below.

Description
    Outer Empires is a space based massively multi-player online game created for both the iPhone/iPod Touch and desktop browsers.

Every player can create an online persona in a persistent galaxy; from that point on they can choose from a number of different careers to progress through the game. The game is set up in a sandbox style, to allow players to choose how their character develops.

Players will have a variety of options, including:
    - Fly missions (transport, freight, exploration, bounty)
    - Set up colonies (Mining, Food Production, Manufacture, Refining and much much more)
    - Run/join factions (guilds/clans) within the game.
    - Take control of and fight for systems (either themselves or as part of a faction).
    - Research new ship items from existing blueprints in the world to create your own product line.
    - Buy/Mod/Build/Sell ships using a number of variable items that can be created from the manufacture plants players set up.
    - Trade with other players and the system.

NOTE :
    This game is an entirely online game and will require an internet connection (Wifi, 3G and EDGE recommended).

TouchArcade.com (Preview Quote)
    "The cool part about Outer Empires is that the game runs both in a browser on your computer, as well as in the app on your iPhone. Accounts are shared between both versions of the game, and you can literally log out in your browser, log in with your iPhone, and be exactly where you left off with all the same functionality of the desktop client on the go."

PocketGamer.co.uk (Preview Quote)
    "It all begins quite innocently. You're given a small shuttle to flit between star systems allowing you to run odd jobs. Scanning systems and delivering the results to a space station, transporting goods, buying and selling ore as you travel - there are lots of ways to find your space legs and bring in enough credits to buy fuel and supplies." ... "The sheer scale is at once mesmerising and intimidating."

Some things our beta players have said :

"The first real MMORPG for the iPhone and iPod Touch."
    - Soul

"A multi-faceted, in-depth game that continues to expand and it will hold your interest for many days, not hours due to its enormous size.
    Complemented by a very attentive Developer team that never sleeps."

- Gaius Codex

"There really is no way to describe this game. It is huge. There is no set plan that you have to follow, You can follow your own path in this game. To under stand how big this game is you would have to actually enter it to see just how vast this universe is and how many different avenues there are to pursue."
    - Blue

MEDIA :

Screenshots :

[​IMG]
    An in game shot showing a number of ships having a battle around a planet

[​IMG]
    the tactical computer screen, showing different people within a system and their locations, it's useful when planning attacks.

[​IMG]
    Showing the Nyridion Galaxy and the current GVMT space

[​IMG]
    Showing the Space Station home screen, from here you can add new parts to your ship, get new jobs/missions, clone, sell and buy things, amongst other things.

[​IMG]
    Showing one of the buildings at a colony, this is a mining facility mining Zinc Ore (ready for processing, selling, etc) - there are a LOT of different resources in the game, each has a use!

10. twick

twick Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    I am at work with no wifi so will have to download at home. (Maybe I will sneak out and find a close wifi.)

I have been playing on browser but you will see me in game MUCH more now.

Look for me : Xijee Cometsmith

This made my day!

11. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    V1.0.1-16 Released today (and V1.0.1-15 released last week) - our fastest patch ever through the Apple approval process!

Anyway, the updates have fixed a LOAD of stability problems.. and have added in a number of new ranks to achieve - and also added in some new ships for when they're activated on the galactic market in game.

The galaxy is being colonised, but still people have only explored around 5000 of the available 20,000 systems... but colonisation has slowed down due to people needing to wait to set up more infrastructure (space stations/fuel colonies) to allow further jumps.

In addition to that a new market page has been added to Outer-Empires.com, here : http://outer-empires.com/MarketData.asp?T=MarketDataHome : showing money expenditure over time.. along with giving detailed lists of items that are selling on the market.

We've also put out a few of the background stories for the game to read through... bringing a rich storyline to the players in game.