Universal Outs — A Free Poker Puzzle Game (RumbleMonkey)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RumbleMonkey, Dec 16, 2015.

1. RumbleMonkey

RumbleMonkey Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    New update just got released! Should fix the issue you were seeing with the score image :D

Thanks again!

2. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Updated to include a ads iap. working on the other stuff :)

3. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Check out the latest version. Added these exact features! :D

4. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Just released a new update with a tiny bug fix! #OCD #thestruggleisreal

5. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    What's new in Version 1.2!

◦ Leaderboards! Compete to be the best
    [​IMG]
    ◦ Themes! Try your "Luck 福" (more themes to come)
    [​IMG]
    ◦ 3D Touch! Peek the game behind the leaderboard score (iPhone6/6Plus only)
    ◦ Bugfixes! Because yay bug fixes

6. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The luck theme is cool.
    Did you say you were going to add a remove ads option? I can't find it if you did already
    Never mind I found it. I didn't realize you could swipe down

7. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Thanks! :D Just submitted an update with another one in the style of the old west, "Spaghetti".

Yeah, it's under settings. I put a little arrow guy at the bottom. But maybe it needs to be more clear. I'll think on it.

8. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    #48 vectorarchitekt, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    New spaghetti theme looks great too!
    Can you provide an option to turn off the music but leave the sounds on?
    Any more themes planned?

One idea for a game mode I had was instead of waiting for all the cards to be played before the hidden ones are revealed, you unlocked each line as you finish it so you could maybe place better cards depending on what you already got.

I also want to say how impressed I am at how much better this game has become since its launch. Keep up the good work!

9. toddfsu

toddfsu Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I can't load the game. It crashes immediately on the iPad Pro 9.7 on iOS 9.1

10. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    I haven't seen any crashes (or even any reports of crashes) for iPhones or iPads; so I'm not sure what's going on. I didn't have an iPad Pro, so I went out and bought one today to try and figure it out. I realized after I got home I grabbed the wrong one (12.9), but wasn't able to reproduce a crash (it came with iOS 9.2). Tomorrow I'll go back and trade it for the 9.7 to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for letting me know! Hopefully I can fix whatever it is soon.

11. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Meant to followup on this. Now includes all these features :)

12. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Got an iPad Pro 9.7" and was able to reproduce the crash. Fixed it and submitting an update for review now. Will let you know once it's approved.

13. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Was granted an expiated review. Should be fixed soon.

14. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Apple approved the fix and 1.2.6 is now live. Looks great on an iPad Pro 9.7" & I hope you'll give it another try.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! Hope you like the game :)

15. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Thanks!!

It's already there :) If you hit menu and then the speaker icon you can toggle between music & sounds, just sounds, & mute.

I'm thinking about a retro 80's one.

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that. Right now the main thing I'm thinking about / working on is adding some kind of multiplayer game mode. Either as head's-up vs. thing for points or as a Texas Hold'em variant for up to 7 players. I've never worked on multiplayer anything (this is my first game), so we'll see how it goes. I think playing against other people would be cool though.

Thanks!! I really appreciate that! Besides being my first game, I'm doing it all myself — so that's really great to hear. Now if only I can get more people to try it!!! ;) haha

16. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    Oh and maybe a metal one. I think a death-metal theme would be pretty entertaining for a card game haha

17. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Retro 80s would be great!
    I'm not sure if you're taking suggestions but maybe a minimalist theme or a retro-1940s jazzy theme. If you're looking for inspiration, Artofplay.com has lots of great playing card decks by various artists, such as aviation and nautical themes....

A multiplayer mode would definitely be fun. If you do, can you also add an AI option?

I was trying to think of ways to make it so that the game isn't so dependent on luck of the draw...what about the ability to have a poker hand at the bottom so you could lay down cards with a little bit of choice instead of just seeing whichever card comes up next. I ask this because it's hard to strategize and plan ahead, so most runs feel like I just got lucky and didn't really do anything.

18. RumbleMonkey

Dec 16, 2015
    I'm totally taking suggestions!! That's a great reference. Thanks for that. Jazzy Art Nouveau is a great idea too.

I don't know anything about writing an AI, but I'll look into it.

I've been thinking about that too. I think there's skill but I like your suggestion and generally thinking of ways to increase that aspect. I like multiplayer bc I think it makes it more skill, or at least the luck part more fun. Like laying out your cards from the same deck as the other player when you can both see each other's boards. I've also been thinking about converting the points to work more like a slots, where you stake points and can win or lose, penalize for discards, etc.

The last thing I've been thinking about is either really interesting and cool or completely stupid. haha I had the idea for a "Texas Outs" variant. It would basically work like Texas Holdem' for max 7 players, where you get two cards and try to make the best hand. Only instead of everyone sharing the same 5 cards, each person has an assigned line on the grid — so the cards would be dealt in 3 rounds like:

Code:
    1 1 1 2 3 
    1 1 1 2 3 
    1 1 1 2 3
    2 2 2 2 -
    3 3 3 - 3

Just like Holdem, you could raise, fold, bet, etc. But unlike Holdem, you increase both the information and the complexity. Again it's either super fun or crazy. I'm not sure which haha

19. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I'd say fun. Go for it.