Overkill 3 - Going 3rd-person & cover-based

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by craneballs, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean91499

sean91499 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    #41 sean91499, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    before i say my impressions about this game, i just wanna ask: Will my data here (from the testflight build) continue to the full release?

Now for the impressions:

To be honest this game is quite fun. And has great graphics (not that great on my iPhone 5) with good voice acting and better action. I like the map ui, it looks simple yet cool. I also like the armor designs, and the weapon cuztomization is great. But what I don't like about the game is that there's no graphics settings, so i'm stuck with these graphics for my phone (its a minor thing but i'd like that feature to be added if possible.) another thing is that almost every level feels the same. Though the challenge (meaning difficulty) is different every level. The game just feels the same, there should be more variety, like some levels should just be boss fights or you guys could make the machine gun section on the road, so you'll be fighting off waves of enemy at the same time trying to get a high accuracy while the car is moving.

So to sum it up, whats good:
    -Graphics
    -Sounds and Music
    -Weapon Cuztomization
    -Armor and Enemy Design

And whats bad:
    -Little to no mission variety
    -No Graphics Options (minor thing really, I'd just like to play the game at max graphics on my iPhone 5)
    -NO SURVIVAL MODE

Some features I'd like to see in the game:
    -New enemy types like enemies that can attack you in close quarters and you'll have to attack them through either a quick time event or a small minigame.
    -Survival Mode
    -Different ammo types for both the player and the enemy like a) Bullet Tracers (100% Accuracy) b) Poison Bullets (Destroys armor and/or health of the enemies.) Explossive Bullets (self explanatory).
    -First Person Mode

2. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

#42 craneballs, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    I see you are logged via Game Center, so yeah, they will stay. Once you download the live version you'll get asked whether to sync with the server side.

As for the feedback... in two words: simply great. Thank you. I will be sending some nice boost your way.

-Little to no mission variety

As in star missions or levels in general?

-No Graphics Options (minor thing really, I'd just like to play the game at max graphics on my iPhone 5)

Well, since there are fewer Apple devices, we're automatically assigning the best possible graphic detail to each iPhone 5 is almost up there with a few more effects on 5S and 6s and their iPad counterparts.

-NO SURVIVAL MODE

There are TIME SURVIVAL levels out there, with the clock icon and arrows down I believe, which are endless. It is obvious now though that they will need some highlighting.

Some features I'd like to see in the game:
    -New enemy types like enemies that can attack you in close quarters and you'll have to attack them through either a quick time event or a small minigame.

Not a thing we'd be able to have soon, but yeah, it's a good one.

-Different ammo types for both the player and the enemy like a) Bullet Tracers (100% Accuracy) b) Poison Bullets (Destroys armor and/or health of the enemies.) Explossive Bullets (self explanatory).

Possibly. Noted.

-First Person Mode

You mean with the zooming/aiming through sights?

EDIT: The moving car. Yeah, we'd love that. We actually wanted to have it (hence the parked humvee in game menu, also copter missions), but it turned out to be technically crazy to have it added to the engine as is now. We do hope to bring those missions later on :)

3. sean91499

Nov 22, 2014
    #43 sean91499, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Hey thanks for replying but let me just clarify what I meant:

1) survival mode- I meant endless survival
    2) First person mode- I meant an option to make it first person (like cod or battlefield) instead of playing as third person
    3) little to no mission variety- I meant both star missions and levels in general

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Really enjoyed Overkill 2. Can't wait for this to hit the masses. Any idea on launch date?

5. craneballs

Thanks Fangbone. We'll have an exact date very soon. Generally speaking, the launch should be about a month from now :)

6. craneballs

Hi guys,
    there is still time to Sign-up for Overkill 3 to get this beautiful gun for FREE.
    Just go to www.overkill3.com and Sign-up there!

[​IMG]

And we are still looking for more experienced players to give us ideas for future updates. Want to help us?

1)You'll be playing the latest version of Overkill 3 that's not out there yet.

2) If you come up with something tangible, you have a chance to be included in OVERKILL 3 CREDITS.

3) We'll be rewarding OVERKILL MEDALS based on your CONTRIBUTION.

4) Apple made it real easy to join on Testflight, no UDIDs needed - simply PM us your e-mail (that you can access on an iOS device, iPad2+, iPhone 4+).

Let's keep the feedback out in the open in this thread, so we can compare, discuss and come up with something big together.

7. craneballs

Thanks Linda! It's FREE. Right now it's available only in certain markets (Canada, New Zealand, Czech republic, Denmark and Norway) so if you are from these countries search for the game in the Appstore. If not, just PM me your email address and we will include you in our Beta Program. Then you can have an impact on the game if you tell us what you would like to see in the future updates.

8. sean91499

Nov 22, 2014
    #48 sean91499, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Hey after playing the game some more, here's a few more things I noticed in the soft launch/beta that I believe fixing and/or tweaking:

a) Can we convert gold to medal and vicey versa?
    b) Can the main menu have an armory option? I find it annoying that i have to go to the map then select a mission then select a gun then make sure that gun is selected to upgrade.
    c) Can we upgrade unequipped guns to? I find it annoying that I have to this everytime.
    d) I noticed that when I die, it allows to continue by watching a video, but the video doesn't load up, and the timer just resets. Please fix this.

Further thoughts into the game:

a) I noticed (at least for me) the Graphics of the Soft Launch version look better than the TestFlight version. (But I'd still like a Graphics Option, if possible.)
    b) I found that upgrading is TOO RELIANT ON MEDALS. I don't mind if the game has medals to speed up time for upgrades or get premium weapons or get the "elite" account. BUT I do have a problem when I need to "use" medals just to upgrade weapons. Hopefully this changes.

A few more features I'd like to suggest that wasn't mentioned in my previous post.

a) A Challenge Mode where different players challenge each other betting for say medals or gold (in a similar style to Midnight Star)

b) Zombies, (similar like in COD: AW)

c) A few weapon ideas: a) Laser Guns, b) Bow and Arrows (Act as a Secondary Weapon).

EDIT:

After playing a few more missions, I'm stuck. And I notice the "dark side" of the free to play aspect is beginning to show. I find it annoying that the balance of the game is gone, and I'm forced to REPLAY OTHER LEVELS NOT ONLY TO GET MORE MONEY BUT ALSO TO GET MORE STARS. This seriously needs fixing, I don't mind grinding for money, BUT THE VERY FACT THAT I HAVE TO GRIND JUST TO UNLOCK MISSIONS IS ABSURD. Its this type of f2p crap that made me stop playing Gangstar Vegas. FREE GAMES ARE NOT BAD, BUT DON'T BE ABUSIVE! PLEASE TONE DOWN THE PAYWALLS OR ATLEAST LESSEN THE ENEMIES. MORE ENEMIES ON SCREEN DOES NOT MEAN A HARDER LEVEL. ITS JUST ANNOYING. I hope you fix this, since the game is currently at testflight and soft-launch cause this is fun game, its certainly not a GOTY, but a fun game, so please tone down the paywalls. F2P DOES NOT MEAN FREE TO PAY.

9. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I've put a good amount of time into this now, so here are my impressions:

First, kinda disappointed by the graphics. The screens of the game make them look a lot better. People above had said that the soft launch version graphics are better than testflight (what I'm using), is this possible? I'm on an iPad Air 2, and I've been playing a lot of great-looking games recently, so maybe it's just not great by comparison. Not really sure. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some cool effects like reflections off a puddle, but in general the graphics seem like they could be a lot sharper.

Second, I like the customization of the different weapons, but it feels like half of the weapons are way overpriced, and the other half can only be purchased with premium currency (medals). I don't mind a bit of grinding if I think it will be worth it in the long run, but this feeling that I need to grind has been present from almost the very beginning of the game. Might be better to try to wait for the player to really commit time to the game before it gets grindy? Another thing I'm not too happy about is the need to wait for upgrades/weapons to deliver after purchase. While this isn't a huge deal, it is really annoying. And while upgrading weapons is fun, it's usually more cost-effective to just save your money and buy a new gun. While I'm on guns, all the gun models do look as good here as they have in previous games, so there's that.

For the gameplay, there are a few things I really like. The QTEs while the player moves to different cover points are actually very well implemented, and very satisfying to complete. As of now there's no consequence for failing them, which is ok with me since Its taken me a bit of time to really get the hang of them. Different enemy types are cool too. So far I've seen snipers, who can hit you in cover, and grenadiers who lob grenades that force you to take cover to avoid. There are also "heavy"-esque characters who take a lot of bullets to put down. These are probably the least fun, and most annoying of the enemies. There are bosses in the game, like giant robo-tanks, a scaffold that has miniguns on it, futuristic planes, etc. The first boss requires you to shoot at weakpoints, which is a nice change of pace. The latter two boss-type enemies have not had weakpoints, at least that I could tell. Still, even with all the variety most of the gameplay boils down to the same cycle of find enemies from cover, aim at them, fire, take cover/reload, repeat. This might feel more repetitive since I'm using two similar weapons, but in general I don't see having a sniper or a shotgun in the mix making things that much better.

In general, the lack of accuracy on some of the early weapons is very annoying. It's almost not worth firing on enemies that are far away from you, you'll take damage and will waste ammo before you can finally hit enemies consistently when they move to a closer cover point. Again, I'm sure this is a problem that is alleviated as you progress in the game. Last, the controls are a bit odd sometimes. Bottom left corner is a virtual stick to aim, bottom right has a big fire button and a few smaller buttons to aim down the sights, cover/reload, and use consumables. Sometimes the fire button doesn't feel responsive, due to positioning maybe? Might be nice to just have the left side of the screen devoted to aiming, and the right side (not including the areas of the other buttons) devoted to firing. Another option might be allowing players to resize/reposition all the buttons.

10. craneballs

1a) You can buy anything with medals, if you're short on cash. Vice versa, we might add that as an end-game, but right now the game economy is not balanced for that option.
    1b) That's a valid one, we'll review.
    1c) I believe you can - you just need get to the screen where selecting guns, and you can upgrade any one that you've previously bought.
    1d) We'll look into that.

2a) As mentioned in our e-mail discussions since iOS devices are pretty unified we decided to assign the graphic detail automatically based on the device. Did you see dynamic fires from barrels, dust on the screen, dynamic shadow of the main character? Any screenshots for comparison would help greatly.

The other suggestions are cool. We'll see what could be used in future updates.

As for the dark side of F2P:

We find it quite benevolent, but it might be caused by the fact that we know the game and now how to progress, so it's easy for us to finish the game without spending, as we know what guns to focus on (for instance AK > G36 > Barrett), that we're supposed to save medals for later, and mostly invest on armor, save medkits for really tough missions, etc.

This is where we are right now, but we'll be tweaking when we have more user feedback. Also as the game grows, there will be other options to earn medals by playing and other aspects than simple (and boring) grinding.

As far as the missions go, some are really hard and are meant to be finished at a much later stage of the game (when you have better equip), so there's more variety there.

First of all thank you for the generously detailed feedback.

Considering the graphics the same goes as 2a above.

+ there's the iPad Air 2. We've had issues securing our own Air 2, but got it a couple weeks ago finally and have been working to include improvements for the game. We're almost there and it looks way way crispier already.

I hope the info above also tackles the pricing.

About controls - that's a major thing given how swamped we are right now with everything, and we tried hard to optimize for phones/tablets. But should that be a problem, we'll improve.

11. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Hi there Craneballs, my name is Rangulf. I have been following the updates for Overkill 3 (OK3) ever since it was announced. I was a huge fan of Overkill 2 and I'm looking forward to the worldwide release of Overkill 3. I would have posted or messaged Craneballs directly months ago, but I haven't due to the following:

I've been playing Overkill 3 from the very first soft-launch until about November just prior to the implementation of the cloud saving system. I stopped because my progress didn't carry over due to the update, so I took a break from playing (obviously demoralized with my save file destroyed, I had maybe 140+ medals saved through progression alone, never spent one of those medals). I already cleared all stages in the soft-launch, next to the last stage (I got about 64 stars, the last stage during that time needed 80). So you can say that I spent a LOT of time with the game. Sadly my progress wasn't carried over due to an update problem with my device so I decided to wait for the release date before I play once more.

Anyway, on to my impressions.

Graphics

The visuals are praiseworthy and I'd like to give my regards to the dev team for putting an amazing effort in creating the graphics for this game. The gun models in particular are exceptionally modeled and have the most detailed rendering I've seen in a long time. Same goes for the armor design as well, which look really good from all angles.

Environments are very distinct from each other, so good job on the game's art direction. The game really captures the dystopian future that OK3 seems to be going for. Enemy ragdoll physics seem spot-on and they surely feel the might of every bullet landed on them, and especially when they go down, excellent job with the motion capture, especially with the player character, he's a really cool guy I'd like to buy beer for especially with the high-five after a mission.

The only qualm I have would be the that the explosions look more like fire mist/clouds instead of explosions, this could be due to my device (I was playing it on an Ipad Mini, but I have since acquired an Iphone 6, so I look forward to the changes made to the worldwide release).

User Interface

As for the UI, I have no qualms except for the option for left handed controls, where the fire button would be on the left side, while the aim button would be on the right (minor issue for some, but it would help for others to have that option).

I would also like to repeat what others mentioned about the option to visit the armory directly while on the main menu. I believe the option was there during the first soft-launch, but was subsequently removed in later releases, no doubt in an attempt to remove clutter from the UI, but it would be a very nice option to immediately go to the gun building part of the game.

Gameplay

Hoo-boy, here comes the meat of my feedback.

Weapon Variety
    (Or, a reason to bring two different types of guns to battle)

For my recommendations, I propose three additional gameplay changes:
    -Blind fire from cover (highly inaccurate, meant to suppress enemies)
    -An enemy stun mechanic (X number of bullets land on enemy, enemy gets stunned for a few moments)
    -Different weapon swapping speeds (Ranging from slow, medium, to fast)

While playing the game, I didn't feel the need to bring a shotgun besides shotgun-only missions, and I never felt the need to bring a pistol ever because all the other weapons seem to be better at bringing things down. Also, the only reason why I would bring a backup weapon is because of the spare ammo it carries. Thus I would end up bringing an assault rifle, and another assault rifle for the spare ammo it carries. (Hello AK and M4 combo)

To end that redundancy, and to encourage weapon load-out diversity, it would be nice to have a defining aspect for every type of weapon that would make them useful throughout the entire game. Here are some ideas that I thought of:

Pistols: Quick reload, quick aim, quick weapon swap, more accurate blind fire from cover than normal, slight critical hit chance.

Shotguns: Higher chance to stun

Snipers: Inherent Critical hit chance

SMGs: Quick weapon swap, more accurate blind fire from cover than normal.

Assault Rifles and MGs: Keep them where they are

Grenade Launchers: anti-crowd weapons with varying degrees of splash damage and actual damage.

Dynamic Enemy behavior (Or, not everyone is just a bullet sponge)

As OK3 stands, enemies take cover randomly, take hits, and move to different cover areas except for snipers who generally stay in one spot, trying to take you out.

It would be nice if enemies were less of bullet sponges and were more tactical with their actions.

Like say snipers:
    >Would aim their sights at players immediately (Would fire their shot faster than in current versions)
    >Would take cover after X number of bullets are fired upon them.
    >Would peek after suppression
    >Would either fire again, or move to a different position (Buying the player some time before the next shot)

What way you have 2 choices when dealing with a sniper:
    -Either you take them out immediately with an accurate weapon. (Sniper duel)
    -Blind fire at them to disrupt their aim while you take out more pressing maters.

Or some of the Heavies:
    >Bullet sponges, they would stand their ground and slowly walk towards you.
    >Inaccurate fire due to bulky armor while moving
    >Lower chance to stun due to heavy armor
    >Lower chance to be suppressed due to their armor

-Shotguns can be used to stun them easier due to the stun bonus they might have, while another weapon can dispatch their weak points.
    -Out damage them with an assault rifle or MG (Stand and Bang with them).
    -Trade fire from cover (You'll still out damage them because you're firing from cover, just make sure to take care of the sniper behind him)

Grenadiers

-Grenades can be detonated while in the air (Can be blown off with high ROF weapon or by a shotgun)

Grunts

-Default AI behavior.

Combining The Two Changes Together

With those changes, we can visualize more dynamic battlefields with distinct enemy classes and behaviors, and the player swapping weapons in between firefights depending on the enemy composition and situation. it makes for more tense firefights, with the player prioritizing targets based on threat levels and the availability of solutions at his disposal.

Of course you can still plow your way through the game with just your trusty assault rifle or machine gun (Like what I did), but other weapons should make some enemies easier to deal with than most.

Progression

Here's another meaty feedback.

Weapon Based Progression

I don't really agree with the part of the game where you are required to use a particular weapon in order to access the stage. I would like it if the player has the option to play the stage without the recommended weapon, but will have a significantly harder time with the stage. The shotgun stage for example, could be full of heavy gunners as described above. If you didn't have a shotgun, you'll find yourself swamped with near invincible opponents because you have a hard time stunning them and hitting their weak points.

Like I said, nothing should stop you from playing with an assault rifle, but you'll have a very hard time winning without a shotgun in your load out.

Cash to Premium Currency Conversion

This one is a bit tricky to handle, but one that would make both developers and free playing customers happy.

I do hope you seriously think about a cash to medals conversion system BUT in a way that should benefit developers as well. So with that, I propose you create a conversion system.

For example, you can have just ONE option:

$20000 converted to 4 OK Medals

BUT the player has to view an advertisement in order for the transaction to be fulfilled. It is similar to the Free OK Medals option you have, but there should be no limit to the number of times the player can convert medals and view advertisements (Or if there are, it has to be a reasonable amount, say 4 times a day).

This would solve the problem of free players not being able to purchase certain gun accessories locked behind OK medal walls, but would still earn you some money through extra ad revenue.

WHEW! That's it for now. Let me know what you think. Obviously I love your game, and I actually pimped it out to my friends. I'm really hoping for the best for this game as there's nothing quite like it in any gaming platform. I still have some more ideas in the back of my head, but I think this will do for now. Thanks and I hope for the success of OK3!

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Worldwide release date?

13. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Playing the soft launch, it's pretty solid so far, was wondering what the cursor was for, haven't been able to touch it.

Pretty awesome anyway, I don't know what that guy from before was talking about.

14. craneballs

Hey Rangulf! Are you an aspiring game designer or just a huge gaming fan? Cause these ideas of yours are awesome! If only you got to us sooner with these as they are also really big. Nonetheless, we'll try to gradually implement some of them in one way or the other.

We can now confirm it's 26th February.
    Hmm... we're also wondering. What cursor do you have in mind?

15. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    February 26th it is. Awesome news. Can't wait to check it out!

16. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Ah, I'm just a big gaming fan, though I have game developer friends I regularly chat with, so I know a degree of qualms and concerns from the developer side of making games.

Thanks for considering some of my ideas tho, I know they prolly won't make it for the global launch, but thanks for thinking about the suggestions for future updates.

I'd like to ask though, would you be adding some guns seen in OK: Mafia and and more guns from OK2 to OK3? It'd be great for filling in the gaps in weapon progression though some might feel a bit out of place due to the futuristic setting of OK3.

17. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

At the bottom left of the screen

18. craneballs

I see! We are already figuring out the best way for that money>medals transfer.

Guns: Given the inclination of the Overkill series towards gun-porn, I'm pretty sure there will be more. And yes, even the Mafia guns are on the table :)
    I suppose the virtual joystick then? Granted, the whole bottom left part of the screen works in that way, but we wanted to point the left thumb to the general location.

19. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    What changes can we look forward to from the current version of the game to the global release version on the 26th? :)

20. craneballs

It takes quite some time to get an app reviewed and especially approved by Apple, so I think the 26th February version will actually be the latest one on Testflight (with the new Warehouses), not sure if that's the one you were able to get?

After that, we'll be busy as bees to include suggestions from this thread + endless competitive modes and most of all the cooperative multiplayer.