Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I could walk out my front door right now and be hit by a car. However, my solution to avoiding this potential (and unlikely) scenario is not to never leave my house ever again. Smh.

The more I play this the more I can't put it down. The interface is a bit finicky on iPhone once the bigger puzzles start coming, but I've gotten pretty used to it. Overall it's really impressive how usable it is on such a small screen. I should probably just break down and put this on my iPad.

Anyway, thanks for such a great game. One of my favorites this year. Hopefully it does well and you can continue adding more puzzles.

2. yesfantina

yesfantina Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I also think a counter would be nice to know how many blocks have been painted

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Beginning with the caveat that I don't care either way but can't help seeing both sides of the argument...

Of course, that analogy would be more relevant/meaningful/ appropriate if you had already been hit by a car 20+ times in the past year or so. After that many hits, it would be a bit more challenging to keep walking out the front door again and again...

Just sayin'. :p;):)

/off-topic

Great game, and really nice developer! :D

DBC

4. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Gotta say, thanks to everybody for all of the helpful feedback and kind words!

And Jared - do it. Put it on the iPad. Much better for big puzzles.

5. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I also, like others, think this is a pretty good Picross game quality wise. There are already some very decent Picross clones at the App Store.

Question: if you've played Nintendo DS Ace Attorney games and you played this, have you noticed that one of the background music tracks sounds like the theme of one of the characters in Ace Attourney Maya? It's called Maya's Theme
    check it http://youtu.be/W6XaRog86ew
    Maybe I am imagining things.

6. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

iCloud Problem

I'll try this but am pretty sure it won't work. I think the problem does not come from your game but from my iCloud account. Oh and I have the same account on both devices, with iCloud switched on.

I meant that if I delete the game now from my iPad where I have played and saved, when I install the game again, I can retrieve the iCloud save. But that won't work on my iPhone. I won't delete the game now though because I don't want to take the risk to lose my progress now !

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Update is live. Re-submitted iTunes review for current version of the game.

8. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Gotcha. Yeah it sounds like the problem is on the iPhone in some way.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Almost finished all the puzzles now. One thing I will say is, if you add any level packs, the large puzzles with repeating patterns or symmetry are my least favourite. When you complete each section and it's almost a reflection of the last one, it can feel like you're doing the same puzzle 4 times in a row.

Also, can I ask why iPad got a landscape mode but iPhone didn't? I miss it particularly on the 20x12 pictures.

10. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    #130 CasualLabs, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    When I use my iPad to browse the net or whatever, sometimes I use portrait, other times I use landscape...it just depends on the situation. Sitting on a couch, sitting at a table, reading in bed - it's nice to have the choice to find the most comfortable way to orient the iPad. It made sense to support both orientations.

The iPhone is different. I thought portrait was a little better overall to play on the iPhone because you can play normal puzzles one handed with your thumb doing the painting. I couldn't really justify the time to put towards a landscape iPhone mode because I didn't really see it being played much in that orientation.

Also, supporting both orientations on the iPad was a pain. I chose the path of less pain.

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, what are these 20+ examples of games no longer offering their IAP content?

I don't really care either way either, but willfully refusing to support a good developer simply because a game doesn't cater to a very silly fear is pretty stupid. Stupid because you're missing out on playing a good game, and stupid because you're purposefully making it harder for a developer to continue making good games.

Anyway, I have kind of a weird request. I don't know if this would be possible, but I'd love if when you're zoomed in and touch-dragging a line of squares if it would continue scrolling once you hit the edge of the screen. Landscape would be nice, but not if it's a huge pain to do.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    PIB: still holding first place in the TAGOTW thread!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=206868

Vote if you haven't!

Still havin' a blast with it, gonna be sad when the puzzles run out.

Only thing I could ask for is the hold-and-drag restricting you to lines, especially since the tutorial talks about drawing lines that way. I have used that method to fill in sections, but most often want to draw a straight line.

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Any expansion packs IAPs coming? I would really like to see more story sections too.

Does anyone have any tips on doing pro mode? I was doing well initially, but have now retreated to normal mode, which I can consistently solve...

14. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri

None specifically planned, but I'd love to work on more. I'm also curious if people would participate in the Outsider Art room thing... I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but that's where people would email me their own levels/paintings. I'd take the best ones, collect them into rooms and release them free iap packs.

Or maybe this could be fun - I post the title for a painting (on my website's blog page) and people submit puzzle drawings of their own interpretation. Do that a few times and maybe some other drawing challenges and collect the best of those into a free iap room.

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Fair enough! I've been impressed while playing by how much thought has gone into the controls and layout of each version - you've not just gone down the path of iPad version = iPhone version but bigger.

16. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I can explore the scrolling thing.

I may eventually wind up implementing iPhone landscape mode, especially if that leaked picture of the Logitech iPhone controller is accurate.

17. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've been testing icloud save. I downloaded recent free version from app store on my ipod touch 3g (5.5.1), went through the tutorial, and a few more levels. went to options / save, overwrite yes. This does not show anything in icloud for saved games for paint it back.

I also download to my ipad 1, and ran - shows no icloud save games (forces me to enter my name and skip intro).

Next I deleted the app on pod touch. re downloaded it. reran. shows no icloud saved when trying to load.

I have still not download onto my ipad mini (the device I beta tested on). I would hate that I would lose all my progress. I don't mind starting over if icloud was working, and I could continue on any device.

18. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Try getting on your mini and going to options and hitting "save to iCloud." That should make the game save on the mini overwrite whatever other save might've been on iCloud. Wait 20 seconds or so, then get on your ipad 1 and iTouch. If you used the exact same playername on all devices, it should automatically update the ipad 1 and iTouch to the game save on the mini. If you used a different playername, then on the ipad 1 and iTouch when you go options, you should see an option to "load from iCloud" the game save from the name of the player on the mini.

19. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

@Dazzlemi && @CasualLabs

This looks like my problem with iCloud. Seems like this Apple service bugs a lot anyway ...

20. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    #140 Dazzlemi, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    I have tried that on the mini (but will try again to make sure) - I was afraid if I downloaded the (non-beta) version to the mini, that I might lose my progress. I don't mind actually paying for the unlock... well worth it... I just would rather not be starting over on the levels.

... ok - tried again ... all of the free levels were saved, and now load on my ipad 1. If I now go to "buy the full game" (and of course buy it) on my ipad 1, will the rest of the levels show as completed ?

... ok - trying on the ipod touch. even though the ipad 1 worked for the load, the ipod touch still does not work for the load. I re-saved on the mini. the touch still shows "no icloud game to load". The ipad 1 still doesn't show in settings that any game save is available. The touch is jailbroken, the ipad 1 and mini are not, if that matters.