Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    The reason I love this game is the super-emphasis on no-guessing at all whatsoever never never never. It's something I never like with logic-games (though a 3-level guess system sounds better than a random you-never-know-how-much guess system). I was actually impressed on how the game remains interesting and non-boring even with the no-guessing rule and the relatively small grids (per section). I'm finding it is not frustratingly difficult, but it still feels rewarding if I finish a puzzle (and I find that I really like the finished pictures - at first I thought it was a nice gimmick, but I have started to appreciate them a lot). I can imagine that that is different if you have played these games for years though.

2. Natachai

Natachai Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #162 Natachai, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Edit: Its okay now, Got it to work buy buying it again by purchasing it again on ipad, and then it told me i could restore

Hello casuallab

i purchased the full game on iphone but cannot restore the restore my purchase on ipad. Both have the same account. Icloud works but i could not play the new levels on the ipad at all. Could you help fix this problem? I would love to use my ipad to play since its bigger.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    How are you doing it without guessing? I can only do so on most normal levels, but most of the later pro levels do not give enough clues for me to get started. Tips please.

iPadisPlayingOnNormalModeShamefulIKnow...

4. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    This was my entry to Picross, but I'm absolutely loving it.
    Are there any other Picross games on iOS worth checking out?

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I like Oh! cube. It's a very good Picross 3D clone. NonoCube is good, too.

6. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Pathpix series and Piczle Lines are both my favourites.

7. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Check out How to Play/Painting Tips from the Main Menu in Paint it Back if you haven't already.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonogram#Solution_techniques

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
  9. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    This is my first foray into Picross. And this is a damn fine game!

10. fathertaylor

fathertaylor New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Thanks. It worked and I can continue while sitting around waiting for my kids. I'm a very happy usr now!

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #171 tops2, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Pretty much follow the tips from that link. After taking a quick look at the tips from the link are all strategies I've found out over time by just playing the game. Start with the first few tips...and slowly add more and more the more you play. I'm finding this to be one of the easier picross games and didn't have to "guess" so far.

Some general tips I use is start with the rows/columns with the highest "sum", which is the most helpful if they're at the edge of the play field. Find the squares which definitely needs to be shaded in (from overlap). Also, pay attention to which square to cross out as it helps reduce the possibility where filled in squares can be in a row/column.

Anyways..yeah..sorry for the jumbled tips... The more you play, the more strategies you'll develop.

12. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    What others said, but basically, I think it is way more fun to figure those techniques out for yourself. That's why this game is great, because you *know* there will be no guessing, so you must be able to figure it out logically. I sometimes still think that well, now this level is impossible to solve without guessing, and then I see one square I missed, and then all falls into place from there.

I'm in the third last room now, and I get the impression that the puzzles are getting easier. But maybe I'm just getting better :)

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I picked up Pixelogic based on someone's response and once you get used to the zooming, it's pretty solid (but I still like Paint it Black much more). I haven't tried too many of the built in ones, and tried only the daily puzzles...and find the quality of the daily puzzles to be pretty all over the place. There's some puzzles that I totally need to guess as there doesn't seem to be enough hints (or I can't figure it out). But with so many puzzles in that game, I've just skipped the ones that doesn't have enough hints.

Actually, even on the Nintendo DS Picross..some of the hard puzzles are pretty hard and I need to guess on some of those too...

14. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Looking at the achievements ... what are the "Quick Fix" ones it mentions?

15. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I think guessing is a valid and sometimes necessary strategy in difficult picross games. The interface has to support it though. On paper, you'd fill in the squares you are certain of with a pen, and then guess with pencil. If you then find something that can't be right, you'll erase the pencil parts. On digital devices this can be done right if there's a special "guessing mode". I once had a DS Slitherlink game that did this well. You'd enter into guess mode, all your entries from then on would be red, and you could at any point choose to accept or reject your guessed entries. Still, I much prefer a game without guessing.

It's in the Mystery Masterpiece room (the last room)

16. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    That would explain my confusion, thanks!

17. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    I've been trying to unlock the full game for the past couple of days but I keep getting a time out error. Anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?

18. KuangEleven

KuangEleven Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    There's probably an obvious answer to this but I haven't spotted yet - apologies if it's retreading old ground.

I unlocked the full game after playing all the free levels, I've completed all the levels on pro mode and have 240 medals, yet there doesn't seem to be a mystery masterpiece room - the last one in the list is Sport of Sorts. Has anyone else had this happen?

19. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Try turning off your phone by holding down the power and home buttons until it shuts off. Turn it back on then after it boots up load PiB and try the unlock. If still no luck, email me at [email protected].

20. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Maybe you're playing a beta test version? If you go into options and look in the upper right corner and the faint gray number there is lower than 1.0, it's a beta version. If so, make sure you've got iCloud on, go to options, hit 'save to iCloud', then delete the PiB app off your iDevice. Then download PiB from the App Store and run it, choose 'yes' to loading your save game from iCloud when it asks you.