iPhone Patchwork Battle - A new Crafting-Sim / RPG currently In Development

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jlach, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Sr. Applications Engineer.
    Middletown, CT
    It's about time I get around to posting the changes I spoke of. I'm not going to go into much detail because, really, I don't want to give away ALL our secrets up front :)

We have removed the notion of parts being dropped by your enemies. Instead, your enemies will drop materials and crystals. Materials will be things like Cloth, Leather, Metal, etc. Crystals I'll talk about a second. These materials, and crystals, will then be used to create your own parts in a simple (yet free) crafting system.

In order to craft a part for a Mimic you must have a recipe. These can be bought in-game with in-game currency (no IAP for these!). Once you have a recipe, you must have all the required materials needed to craft the part. The important thing to note here is that each material has a quality index (0, 1, 2, 3). The higher the quality, the better the result you get from crafting. Also, the higher the crafting skill you have the more bonus you get from the quality.

I should also note that recipes do not call for SPECIFIC materials but instead general ones. For instance, you my have found a Iceberg Leather piece and a Flaming Leather piece. The recipe for the "Rogue Arm" will require just Leather. You are free to chose which pieces to use based on which stats and bonuses you want that part to have.

Once you have crafted your piece (think WoW-style crafting) you are then presented with an Augmentation option. This gives you the ability to use the crystals you've found to Augment the crafted part with more stats/traits. The Augmenting phase will not be a simple button click but will instead require you to beat one of a few different mini-games.

The reason for the lack of updates to Patchwork lately has a lot to do with this new system being designed out. It actually required a lot of changes to already built code. We felt it was worth it, though, as this provides the player with even more ways of customizing their Mimics and their parties.

Oh yeah, we're also currently working on designing out a central Auction House type system where you can buy/sell materials and parts with other players.

2. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Middletown, CT
    It's been a while since I've updated here.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the game is still in development, and still moving forward at a good speed. I will have a big and exciting announcement to share in the next week or two so keep your eyes peeled :D

3. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Member

Sep 16, 2011
    May be silly, but will/they have mouths? If they're intended to be built out of cloth, you could have appearance customization options (and unlocks) that were like cloth overlays to change your mouth/eye/nose...etc appearance.

Liking the Patchwork idea and a fan of Battleheart (though wish I could make it turn based sometimes).

4. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I agree appearance choices would give the game a lot more appeal.

5. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Middletown, CT
    There are appearance choices already as you can mix and match classes. This will give your Mimics a distinct look based on what class parts you have equipped where.

There will be no mouths, Mimics cannot talk. However, I am warming up to the idea of customizable appearance. Maybe achievement rewards could be things like new Eyes, new Eye Brows, new Skin Color, etc. Something for us to think about.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

6. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    just gave the thread a quicklook.
    that's one very distinct (and beautiful) art style and direction :D
    (hope we can change those costumes during the game since they are kinda like layered, will be awesome!)

-ps: just got my iPad 2 back, would love be part of the beta too!-

7. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Middletown, CT
  8. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    nice, didn't know it was also coming to pc and xbla, although i'm thinking it might feel better on the ipad, will probably stick with that version... pending some gameplay videos.

9. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Middletown, CT
    Just so everyone knows, we've finally got a developer's blog started and a twitter account going. You can find both at:

http://www.patchworkbattles.com/

and

@pwbattles

10. Turkeydipking

Turkeydipking Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    Whoa! This looks incredible! The art style and concept, you have an instant purchase with me for sure!
    Will you be able to name your Mimics? That would be sweet and allow even further customization, some "serious" RP'ing or just teh lulz.
    I'm really looking forward to this, do you have a set date planned? It's probably early to ask but like Q1 of 2012 or Q2?
    One quick question as well, will you be able to craft your weapons? Now THAT would be awesome (and require quite a lot of coding and artwork I would imagine ._.)

11. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Middletown, CT
    First off, thanks! :) Now, to answer your questions (and excuse the shortness, just woke up.. really tired! hah!)..

- You will be able to name your Mimics.
    - We are currently targeting end of Q1 / Early Q2 of 2012
    - As of now you will not be able to craft your own weapons. However, we've spoke about this and it's something we MAY implement in the future.

12. Turkeydipking

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    Well good morning to you sir! First for the replying before coffee haha!
    Those are two things that make me very happy ;)
    Craftable weapons could be tricky.. As they could turn out really well and interesting, or really simple. To be honest I wasn't expecting a yes, but just the fact that you consider it is great!
    You know what else would be quite cool? Now this is a really whack idea that just hit me, I was wondering what "hints" or ideas to give you and so I was thinking of all the most successful games... and you said that people will be able to exchange their Mimics and some other online function...
    How about, having a "quest editor" of sorts, where you could enter some quest text, make a Quest-mimic and either upload him to the interwebz, or share him with your friends? Your friend could then read the text (or not like most WoW players :p) accept/decline and then defeat the waves that the creator decided? This would give some bonus to both players (haven't quite thought of this one, but maybe special parts or some kind of benefit)
    I know that this is kind of whack and maybe against the idea you have set out in your game, but it's just something that would make it really interesting!

13. Turkeydipking

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    Not first, thanks*
    (I should learn to proof read)

14. RenaissanceBoy

Mar 16, 2011
    Glad to see such positive feedback. We've just recently brought on another developer, a personal buddy of mine, Corey Westcott, so it's looking like stuff is gonna begin to get done much faster. We've also switched over to the Unity engine, so I'll be quite busy learning how to turn these little dudes into 3D with normal maps and whatnot to give them a really nice textured look. Anyway, for people that are interested, we've also just set up a facebook page so you can get up-to-date news and whatnot. I'm on there a lot, so the updates should be pretty regular.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patchwork-Battles/250112048371307