people usually look down on gameloft despite it's still the leading dev of IOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Mar 25, 2012.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^^Nice post, you know pressing Return a few times doesnt hurt ;)

Mentioned it before but when i first discovered iOS gaming (Only last year Feb 11) i loved Gameloft games, bought the first two Dungeon Hunter games, Heroes of Sparta 1 and 2 and quite a few others.

Its just when they went freemium it put me off, i 'wanted' to like Six Guns but it was a joke the money you got for missions and then the money you had to spend on ammo/upgrades, basically 'forcing' you to buy stuff.

But after that it went freemium crazy which put me off and the nail in the coffin was Dungeon Hunter 3 (Which should have been called Dungeon Hunter Arena), to take a great gaming franchise and to change it so radically just for the sake of profit was appalling. After that i rarely buy any Gameloft games now, Batman/Spiderman seemed better but until a 'proper' Dungeon Hunter 4 comes along then i give up with Gameloft.

As for comparing Gangstar Rio and Grand Theft Auto, just a complete joke, that says it all why i cant take Klarence's comments seriously. In 20 years people will still be hearing about Grand Theft Auto, no one will know Gangstar Rio

2. Ik what you mean I have hero of Sparta 1 and 2 as well as blades of fury and they were all very enjoyable games. I haven't bought any of gamelofts games after 9mm. (my last purchase). When they went freemium I was deavasted but not surprised.

As for the wall of text I apologize (was kinda caught up in the moment) :)

Yes you are right. The GTA series are a legacy. Gangster rio Isn't really comparable in any way to gta. As for klarence, I pity people like him. He probably has never had experience with great games that don't offer much in the graphical department.

~Ajay

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Oh yeah forgot about 9mm, i did enjoy that, didnt take me long to complete it but (as we always say) cheaper than the price of a cinema ticket and i got a fair bit of play out of 9mm. Good little game.

Then again when Rockstar released Max Payne for iOS i got a LOT of gameplay out of that, i wouldnt go back and try to complete it again but the whole story itself took up a lot of my time, great game.

I'm tempted to go back to Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2, really really did enjoy both of those, great games. Again thats why i was soooo disappointed with DH3, just stunk of 'lets make some money quickly' and nothing else. That to me is what Gameloft has become, just solely think of their profits and not their old loyal fanbase.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Umm long posts, hard to quote. Lemme just say I agree :) Good posts by both of you and I discovered iOS games in Feb 11 too psj ;)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha that was a good time ! Couldnt believe how great all the games were and SOOOO many of them and so cheap. A week after i got my ipod touch i somehow accidentally dropped it on a stone kitchen floor, was smashed ! Was devastated ! Took it to the Apple shop, i think as they saw i had bought so many games and was a newbie they treated me very nicely ! Gave me a brand new replacement ! So because of that great customer service i love Apple now

I just hope apps stay so popular, would hate if another device came out and most of the main devs jumped ship to the next fad. Thats one major reason why i buy games asap as i want the devs to do well.

I've moved from ZX Spectrum-Amiga-Megadrive-PC-Gameboy-Pocket PC-iOS, just hope iOS stays around for a long long time.

6. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #66 violentv, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    Yes good post and arguments by xD4RKSH4DOWZx.. but i must say I am not very impressed by the continual reference to the 'console quality' yardstick you are using from the 'gold old days'. =p Console gaming has come a long long way from the Snes days. Paper thin plot, lack of character developments, small undeveloped worlds, extremely streamlined gameplay (and freaking random encounters!)etc are things I have come to associate with old console games ...like the older zelda games >.> Just look at the more recent zelda games like twilight princess..they just blow the older snes games out of the water. I am sure I don't even need to mention that modern games like Lost Odyssey, Shadow of the colossus and Xenoblade chronicles etc totally outclass the 'good old games'.

We are talking about mobile games here...so why bring up Square Enix who hasn't developed a single original full fledged game for the ios besides some mini games?

Gameloft games are basically all that old console games are without the novelty, lacking the same depth and wrapped in a pretty package(relatively that is!). Excuse me if I don't subscribe to the opinion that graphics don't matter. Would anyone play Battlefield 3 if it looked like Wolfenstein 3d?Would infinity blade be as fun if it was less polished and had blocky graphics? Would Sword and Sworcery be as immersive and unique if the pixel art was badly done?When it comes to RPGs especially, the degree of immersion is extremely important and good graphics coupled with a well developed world can exponentially increase the degree of immersion.

Eh.. I am totally not a supporter of Gameloft since they try too hard to produce 'console quality' clones/games. They always pale in comparison when compared to the originals. I like games that feel really native and unique on the ios platform and Gameloft will probably never produce any.

If I sound a little incoherent it is because I am watching the London Olympics while typing this =/

7. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I see people picking on Klarence because of his post but I feel like what he is saying is that he doesn't have the time, or doesn't enjoy playing just one game on a handheld for forever. Without guides it would be difficult on an iPhone to 100% GTA3. It is much easier to 100% Gameloft games which give him that sense of accomplishment and then he can move on to the next game.

8. #68 xD4RKSH4DOWZx, Jul 30, 2012
    Oh my arguement was just to prove to klarence that there are games that are deep and immersive without the use of advanced graphics.

Square enix has developed the chaos rings series which are ios exclusive titles. and about the graphics i'm just saying that even if the graphics are basic as in mc2 for an fps shooter and the overall gameplay is fun and immersive then it can be classified as "console qaulity" anyways I do apologize for straying away from the topic of this thread. In my opinion I do not think that gameloft is the leading developer of the iOS market. It may be ONE of the leading developers but it's definitely no where near number 1.

Also if you haven't heard about the chaos rings series I'm kinda shocked. They are a really good turn based rpg series and they are 100% original and not available on psn/Xbox/or the android market. You should really check them out if you haven't already. :)

9. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Ah....but large publishers almost always overshadow the developers whose games they publish. Media-vision developed the Chaos rings games and I wonder how many people know that Autumn Dynasty is developed by Touch Dimensions not Bulkypix.

I definitely agree with your point about graphics and the part they play in overall gameplay experience.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Who says you have to 100% GTA3? It's a game which you go free roam for the FUN of it. Not feeling of completing it.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i've had this installed on my device from day 1, only done a handful of missions. Some days i like having a quick go to see how many police stars i can get and survive for as long as possible. Other days i'll do a mission or two and then save and play something else.

I was interested to see how Gangstar Rio might from what i remember its full of IAP's and just isnt the same. Its a usual Gameloft clone and this ones not as good as the original one bit.

12. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's not my point and I'm not a graphic whore.
    But NOVA 3's multiplayer is just amazing, I watched youtube NOVA 3 gameplay video on my TV(i have no airplay), it feels great.
    IMO, most of IOS game are worse than their console counterpart. So you are put words in my mouth.
    But they may better than their XBLA counterpart easily.

13. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #73 klarence, Jul 30, 2012
    I'm not a new generation gamer at all, my first game is probably mario or something, it's FC era.
    even though the first impression is important, but Mario never makes me to like it. I find better things, I can easily admit and enjoy it.
    Classic means nothing to me, gameplay does.
    Never compare IOS to console? why? there are some games could make me choose IOS device over my console and I'm a hardcore gamer. IOS games can be deep or even deeper, IGN said "Great Big War Game is a standout among war games on any platform " and the gave it score 9.5.
    Mass Effect is a great example, shooting gamer could choose hard mode to enjoy more fierce gun fights. Story gamer could choose to discover more details and story.
    We just enjoy the different parts of a GTA style game, but it's not means my point is invalid. I paid for the game and I just want the gameplay I want, I can enjoy the story and hit people in the liberty city.
    But I can never enjoy chasing someone again and again by a vehicle. I'm lame at that part and I hate repetitive.
    Same story for fighting games. Traditional FTG emphasize how to make a combo, and there are some new games you can do super combo by one key, and new FTG are even deeper and not easy to play.
    I can easily say new FTG is better than traditional one, it's just different parts of a game genre. Even Mario is somehow invented platformer game, but people still have right to dislke it and enjoy platformer games at the same time.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You just confirmed the fact that you're a graphic whore with that TV thing.

15. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #75 klarence, Jul 30, 2012
    No, with TV we can not only see the graphic but also the intensity, charater motion and interface of the gameplay. So we can have a better comparsion to console games on the same screen.
    we can see these things on phones and tablets too, but on TV, the screen is bigger, but the gameplay video is not looks as awful as I imagined, in fact it's even better.

16. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Ever hear of completionists? Some people have fun 100%ing things. I am one, but I have enjoyed all the GTAs. Let's not be close-minded though.

17. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    There quality has gone down.

Remember NOVA HD and Modern Combat Sandstorm for iPad?

All those cool iPad exclusive features.

18. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I never say graphic rules, but you said "Gangster rio Isn't really comparable in any way to gta", then you are just wrong.
    Graphic is a aspect of the game and I'm not value graphic much, so I don't like Crysis.
    just sayin it, Rio graphic is better than SA. I'm not sayin graphic is important, but it's just one aspect.
    let alone the upgrade system and other things and setting, you may like it or not, it's not important, but someone thinks GTA is better in any aspect, it's just wrong.
    And I can enjoy many games without good graphics, such as Phoenix Wright. Btw, I don't like Phoenix Wright any more due to the gameplay is kind of repetitve. different story same gimmick and linear plot and lazy design & build, there are much more gems in app store, old so called classics can't get more love from me than others due to their fame.
    fame means nothing to me.

19. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with you, there are some steps down.
    NOVA 3 story mode is worse than NOVA 2. Back in the original NOVA, there are innovations.
    overall, gameloft is getting better and better.

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    That's why you can complete it too, but GTA gives you greatest experience from the free roam. I wasn't being close-minded, I know some people are completionists, but this is a game which shines best at free roam, but does ok with quests too. I guess your right that some may find Rio better if they're completionists.