Universal Perfection! 3: The Chain - New Puzzle/Strategy game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TrueBlou, Jul 11, 2015.

1. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    You both have my complete agreement there, I do the same thing myself. It's funny, I wonder how many developers even take into consideration just how much they could be costing people with things that run up a data bill.

I'm of the school of thought that you're supposed to look after your customers, they are the single most important thing in the whole equation. If you don't keep them happy they aren't exactly going to be falling over themselves to download your work and costing them money as a by product of lining your own pockets definitely falls into my category of not looking after them. There's no good reason other than pure greed for not giving people the option to have a properly purchased game that they can just completely enjoy.

And don't even get me started on games that you pay up front for and still have to endure advertising and various sneaky, weasely ways to screw more money out of you. It gives me the total rage.

2. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Like you I've been gaming for over 30 years - I can remember paying 5.99 for manic miner at a time when I was getting 4 quid a week for a paper round so for a quality game that's had time and effort put into making it I consider 1.49 to be a bit of a bargain.

3. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    Wow there's a blast from the past. I remember getting manic miner for my trusty old cpc 464, green screen mind, couldn't afford that fancy colour stuff.

I played that damn game for god knows how long. Wonder how it would fare today, a lot of games seem to be getting easier. I think some people would complain like hell at the difficulty.

4. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I've been a gamer for many years, too. My first computer was a Tandy, with no hard drive. A friend gave me one of Sierra's King's Quest games and I fell madly in love--with my computer, the game, and gaming in general. Besides the actual game, it was the possibilies that enchanted me. It was such an exciting time! My devices have gotten quite a bit more sophisticated, and that excitement is still as keen as ever. The App Store feels like Christmas every day. :) And for all the pleasure I get from gaming, a few dollars for a game is a hell of a bargain.

5. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Wow, feeling nostalgic. I myself, 42, have had just about every gaming system ever created. Gaming has been engrained in my life since the first floppy disk and single button joystick graced my hands. I buy, play and delete so many it's ridiculous. I probably have around 100 titles on my iPhone and iPad. Was just looking at all the games I've ever downloaded via the AppStore, utterly absurd indeed. I shudder at the monetary talley. Lol

6. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Lol, yes, looking at your purchased items can be a bit of a shocker! (But not enough to make me stop buying apps. :D)

There are way more older gamers here than I'd thought! Pretty cool. Someone should establish an Old Gamers Retirement Home. The yearly fee will include room, board, and the gaming system of your choice. Also free treatment for repetitive motion injuries and eye strain. ;)

7. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    21,322 points in Wurds relaxed mode. :D (I keep Game Center in sandbox mode for beta testing purposes because I'm too lazy to switch back and forth. I think that means I may not show up on the regular leader boards.)

Now to work on the timed game. This is really fun!

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    This response alone deserves a purchase. It's installing now :)

Will post impressions tomorrow.

Let's do this!

Billy

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    This.

The only issue being that despite the amount of crap out there I've still got a backlog of shed loads of games!

10. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

I know exactly how you feel, I've got well over a thousand apps downloaded in iTunes. Even taking into account the free ones I dread to think how much I've spent over the years.

11. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Oh don't worry, so far I think your the only person who's actually upgraded to the paid version so you are definitely at the top of that leaderboard, it's so empty there's tumbleweed rolling past the screen :D

12. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Thank you, if only I'd known all this time all it took was me having a rant to get a download ;)

13. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    At the risk of spamming my own thread, PhoneArena has chosen Perfection! 3 as one of their games of the week. I just thought I'd mention it as I get so little positive attention, aside from some of the awesome people on here the past couple of days of course :D

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Impressions

I got a code earlier in the week. Thank you for posting so many of them.

Overall I would give it 4 stars.

I love the graphics and the minimalist style. Once you level up, the board gets smaller and smaller opening up more and more possibilities to have longer and longer combos. My high score is around 275K, so many people on the leaderboard are above me. But, given that the first level up is at 50 K, I have not done too badly...

The interface is very clean, and the game is simple to understand and do reasonably well at. I guess my only complaint has to do with the luck element. Like match 3 games, ones score is highly dependent on what falls, and in this game, the orientation of the arrows. If things fall correctly, you can get some great chains. If things don't fall well, you make a ton of very short chains, and wind up with pretty low scores. I am still figuring on how much the mechanic grabs me, but I keep coming back to the game, so I certainly think it could do very well with some exposure. Certainly a new mechanic that I have not seen in these types of games, and the red / green arrows adds just the right amount of tension which arrows to choose. Having to think about having a long combo subtract from your score makes random jabbing pointless.

I wish you much success.

15. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Thank you very much indeed for the comprehensive write up. I don't mind throwing out promo codes, so very few people ever buy my stuff anyway that it's nice to get it into the hands of players one way or another.
    I'm glad you keep coming back to the game though, there must be something good about it .

You make some good points as well. It won't get exposure sadly, my attempts to get anyone to listen over the years have taught me that. But as far as the luck element goes, there does need to be a certain degree of randomness to the appearance of the tiles and it can probably seem a bit unfair at times how they come out. But that's something that I can keep tweaking away at the code for and trying to improve upon to make the game more consistent in that area.

Oh, and off the top of my head, I think you're ahead of me on the leaderboards. Sadly for me it always seems to work out that I'm never as good at my own games as I think I am :D

16. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    You're very welcome, hope you enjoy the game. If not, well, at least it was free, eh :D

Incidentally, while I'm here, in the (very unlikely) event anyone was wanting to watch the video for the game, the one that was live is gone. It was utter, can I say crap? :p

Anyway, it's been replaced with a (only slightly) better one which you can see below. It's even got quotes from a couple of very nice Touch Arcaders in it this time, woo :D

17. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #37 Collin, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Removed... There's the video, right above me. Thank you. That does look fun. I'm taking the two dollar plunge #

18. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

You beat me to it, I was just typing in the new url, slowly, I'm not quite awake yet :D

Edit*
    And thanks very much for buying the game, hope you enjoy it.

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Got one for f the first batch codes and I have to say the game is pretty fun and addictive, but there seems to be an element it's lack ng. Can't put my finger on it yet. Will get back with it when I have it figured. Solid game tho. Very enjoyable.

20. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Thanks for the feedback, as always it's much appreciated.

And you're not wrong. It could do with something. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret releasing the game as is, I think it's a fun little game. But I do agree it's got potential for much more.

I have been playing around with ideas for the game, there's actually a fair bit of unused code sitting in the game with things I've done to alter it. I'm just not happy enough with any of it to actually activate it in the game yet.

But I'm still tinkering away at it and hopefully I will make a decision soon. That's the hard bit, actually saying, right that's it I'm going to run with this. When your as doped up as I am (I literally take enough medication every day to kill several cows :D) you get a bit indecisive.

If you do have any ideas though, I always take feedback very seriously. Nobody knows what a game needs better than the people who play it. So I do tend to implement any good ideas people have. I don't take credit for the ideas, I always give the person a shout out in the update notes. Hell, if I ever actually made money I'd likely share some of it. I'm daft that way :D besides, ideas are a big part of the game. Good ones are more valuable than the actual coding, it may be the time consuming bit but without a good idea you might as well be making yet another bloody flappy bird type clone.

Oh dear god, I'm rambling again, sorry, my meds kicked in a wee while ago so I'm higher than a baboon with an arse full of helium :D