Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Only played a few minutes but was blown away by how good it is.

So like the original, the only IAPs are for ships (via buying more credits as opposed to outright buying the ship)?

The Store was not coming up for me.

2. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Hate to be a stick in the mud, but as a massive fan of the original, this sequel is a ghost of its former glory. Simplified gameplay, same level for 24 hours....ugh. I miss the variety of the original, the deeper mechanics, the hour long runs. This version is just leaving me feeling cold and terribly disappointed after waiting for (literally) years for a sequel.

3. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I don't agree. The devs need to make money, why would anyone spend if you could just farm it in a few minutes.

4. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Really like this. Afaic it has a nice amount of strategy and the bullet patterns are pretty standard bullet hell stuff. Not sure what some of you are talking about really.

I would like to be able to up the control sensitivity just a bit though...I really don't like straight 1-1 control. Need a bit more relative touch there for my tastes.

5. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    give it a chance its actually pretty awesome, cause you have to challenge your score and do better each run to earn credits. the community aspect is pretty cool. I think its still early and they got plans to add tons to the game, its also a different kind of game not meant to replace Phoenix hd this is 1 bullet 1 life...alot more challenging makes you think more. You unlock ships at random on a timer , there is 0 ads it really is a awesome game, join our community Touch Arcade you beat one of the scores the community hit you get credits.

You also upgrade your ship on this one with the credits you earn.

6. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm thinking of getting people to stick with the game longer. They might get tired of a slow grind and just buy credits to speed it up. With no carrot out front of them to keep logging in, many will just drop it.

7. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I gave it a chance (5 hours +), I joined the community, I unlocked ships, I upgraded ships, top 10 scores and I'm bored of the gameplay and design. You have no idea how much I wanted (and expected) to love this sequel. Everything pales in comparison, save the graphics. Back to Cave shmups for me. Don't hate me, just the opinion of one pointless idiot.

8. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    #48 Pickman, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    I second this. i am slowly fighting my way up through the waves. Youbreally have to experiment when to use the aura, how long you need to charge it before triggering the next wave (by killing the last remaining enemy).

Right now I have one ship upgraded to the max, paying the 4,99€ IAP to support the dev. I still have no idea how to beat Wave 4-3 and the insane amount of bullets.

Things that I would love to see improved:

- Tone done the background noise. i find the glowing elements of the background graphics kind of distracting. It is hard enough to keep an eye on the generator of the ship even without all the chaos and glow all around. This game could use an epilepsy warning anyway;)

- Due to the fact that the ship changes its size in relation to the size of the enemies on screen, keeping track of the vulnerable generator is quite hard. I would like to have an option to keep the spot the same size all the time.

- Earning coins is really hard right now. I get it, that players are encouraged to pay money for gold, but I would rather pay for a coin doubler or tripler like in the first game.

- Like the poster before already stated, the relative touch could be a bit more customizable.

9. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Well, I guess that's the downside for being that good, right? ;P

That's pretty much a timer like mechanic in my books. Once you arent able to beat your own or anyone elses score anymore, you'll have to wait until the next random stage appears so you are able to set new scores.

However, I couldnt find anything which this game makes better in comparison to other similar games in this genre. The graphics? My 6S was still cold as ice while playing it, so nothing special to see over here, imo.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    So what's the verdict, are we joining touch arcade or toucharcade?

11. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    In the other thread AKD said he was going to move to "toucharcade" once his timer was done

12. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    i will be doing that too

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The downside of this game, and i think it's quite huge, is that there is no purpose in playing the game when you have reached your personal limit in a mission.

I really hope we get cash for actually playing the game, just like in the first one where playing for 5 hours straight can get you significant stuff. In here, if you reached your limit in the first few minutes, it's better to just stop playing and wait for the next mission.

Another flaw is with the use of third "skill" where you need to lift your finger up. The shield one for example. You unnecessarily trigger it when positioning your finger because the game zoomed out and moved the ship out of your thumb or finger's position.

Outside of that, the bullet patterns, the randomness, the visuals, the sounds, even the controls... They are perfect. Sure some may want a higher sensitivity ratio, but 1:1 for me is perfect.

14. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada

what about reaching the top of the leaderboards?

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #55 Exact-Psience, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    If you've reached your personal limit, you cant score any higher.

Im currently ranked 11th on the daily mission, which im assuming is more of a world leaderboard, and i cant progress any farther.

Im thinking about getting some IAPs to max a ship out (the quality of the game is worth spending some G's on no doubt), maybe an upgraded bomb or something can help me push through farther, but it feels like cheating my way through. Kinda on the fence with buying IAP if for that purpose.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh... and how do you level up? Im still level1. LOL.

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    You gotta wait each day . You will get points as to where you are ranked on the leaderboard . I've been playing for two weeks and I'm level 10 I think.
    Also you will earn money after each day reset to help upgrade :
    You will have a chance like every 5 hours to use the warp to get a new plane .
    I've been posting in the upcoming games section and we agree on all aspects from the game.
    I expected the first game and more . I loved the grind from the first in which I earn currency each game.

If they would have just named this like Phoenix : sub game name here it would have made more sense and made a phoenix 2 more like the first

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If it makes you feel any better, the shield ability is the only one you'll have that issue with... the others, you're already gonna wanna be lifting your finger up quite a bit... =oP

As for earning experience, it's awarded at the end of missions. You'll earn 100 coins for each level you reach.

I'd save everything and wait until you get a ship you know you like and then want to upgrade. If you have to know, I'd spend the hundred to unlock the secondary ability, but nothing else. At least not for a couple days. Just to make sure that IS THE SHIP you want to be putting your money into...

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ayt cool. Yeah that's what i've been doing, just spending 100 to unlock the second ability. on ships i have just to know what each of the abilities do.

Sigh.. i guess it's just slower now, and no grinding sessions. Still every bit of this game we get to play is a treat.

20. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    the way I look at it is if there's somebody with a score higher than mine and I'm reasonably sure that person isn't a cheat, then that score should be achievable...therefore I can always try and get there. I'm not sure I really understand the idea of a "personal limit." I mean I may never accomplish the task, but it's always there to shoot for...