Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Tatanak

Tatanak Active Member

Jun 23, 2012
    It's Aurora ship

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks. How long does it take to charge the zen mode teleport? Is jt really useful? My only zen mode ability I've unlocked takes so long to charge that it's very difficult to use except between acts, and a teleport would be essentially useless like that.

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Teleport activates about 0.3seconds after releasing the screen. There is a visual indicator it is active and the time slows down considerably so you can pick a spot to teleport to. This slow down time and the cost of the teleport improve when it is upgraded. That said, at rank 1 it is quite expensive to teleport, so it does not work when you don't have enough energy. This is currently only indicated by an audio cue when you release the screen, but we will improve on this in a future update.

The Aurora is currently occupying the top spots because its damage needs to be adjusted a bit. An update has already been submitted.

We read everything here, but since you guys are posting so much I need to play a bit of catch up :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oi... What's up El! Is the Stun EMP bugged? Doesnt seem like the stun works longer than a second, maybe 2.

5. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Big fan of the first Phoenix but just not enjoying this as much as I'd hoped. Can't put my finger on it reall, but I'll keep trying it for now

6. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    #86 Pickman, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Played some more but I think I hit a personal dead end. I still like the gameplay and the look and feel of all the weapons. But the last hour or so feels like a total waste of time, because I could not beat my personal best no matter how hard I tried or what ship I used. And for all the endless tries there is not even a single piece of loot or other kind of payoff. This lack of progress is kind of depressing.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is still superb and the different ships are amazing. The enemies are challenging and diverse but after the umpteeth time dying in a crazy cloud of bullets at the exact same wave as before, I can"t force myself to do this again.

In other titles like skyforce or the original phoenix even a bad run provides you with stars, coins or some other feeling of progress. Or if you absolutely cannot beat a certain scenario, you might try another stage, level or configuration to elevate you further up.

In Phoenix 2, as it stands right now, I will just have to wait the long hours for another random level to pop up, because I simply see no reason to play this one again. I tried all my ships, I tried the best I can, but all I got out of the time invested is a feeling of emptiness.

I never had this in the original phoenix.

This game needs another game mode.

7. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I've put in more time and ftmp I enjoy the game. I really like the community leaderboard aspect.

I wish the position of my ship relative to my finger would remain the same no matter what the zoom level is. It's annoying when the screen zooms in a bit and suddenly my ship is buried under my finger. I also really hope a higher sensitivity is allowed in an update. I'm finding I constantly have to re-position my finger relative to the ship because the 1:1 ratio makes it difficult to maneuver without my finger eventually moving off the bottom edge of the screen.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah I'm feeling sort of similarly now - it would be nice if you could even just collect some coin drops in game even...

9. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Unlike apparently a large segment of the ios gamer population, I generally couldn't care less about collecting different "things" in these games. The different ships are a bore to me. Give me a game that's fun to play and allows me a chance to improve my skills and get farther in the game and I'm happy with one ship and no "hats" or "costumes" or different arrangements of pixels to drive/fly/scoot around in...

10. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    #90 Pickman, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Just some more thoughts:

I'm not a whiner when it comes to demanding or hard games, on the contrary, I love a good challenge that keeps me busy figuring out how to overcome the obstacle. So why does phoenix 2 seems to bring me to exhaustion?

I think the answer is the lack of reward.

Reward in a computergame is provided by many things: Points, currency, progress, experience or even discovery.

I went to some of my favourite games that will forever stay on my devices even if I am far from beating some of them. Every one of them can be played either casual (on the toilet, on the bus, waiting room etc.) OR full on hardcore with high concentration and stonehard purpose for reaching a new height of progress.

The first phoenix is a perfect example. I can play it casual with not much ambition just to have my favourite plane kill some baddies for some coins or to see, who is above me on the ladder in my region OR I can spend all my hard earned cash on all available upgrades, lock me in and try to get as far as possible with maximum effort.

Another good example is wayward souls, a game I struggle endlessly to just reach another floor. But even here a bad run, a casual play if you will, that ends in failure can provide me with gold, hats, pets or even never before seen enemies.

So even if I fail, what almost always happens, I have had a little progress and satisfaction.

With phoenix 2 right now, there is just failure but no immediate reward. Even if I beat my previous best, the coin reward barely makes up for the effort and the prospect of doing it all AGAIN, just for a handfull more or nothing is not all that motivating.

This should be more than just a highscore chaser imo.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im currently more interested in what the other Main Weapons are... I wish there was a main weapon type preview for each of the ships.

12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Kind of agree with others. The gameplay and graphics are fantastic, but the lack of reward makes it get old rather quickly.

I would have happily paid $10 for this game if I felt playing it would give me continual progression. Sure I can still pay an IAP for currency, but it isn't the same. Then I will have paid to get what I want rather than feeling a sense of accomplishment.

I realize that's the case in many F2P games and those are games I tend to avoid. But even in those, grinding can be rewarding.

Here grinding is almost pointless if you keep failing at the same point in a level and get nothing in return.

Love the first game and shmups in general (even F2P ones like Sky Force where you can pay to pretty much make it "premium").

Hope maybe a new mode -- even as an IAP -- could perhaps remedy the situation.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm curious as well... There's a ton of different weapons, and although you can see the name of the weapon, you can only really see what it looks like/how it behaves if you have a ship with the same weapon type...

Maybe it's all supposed to be part of the ship discovery and what-not, but it sure would make buying a ship with currency a lot less stressful.

14. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Amen reverend! I was thinking they should have put a preview system in the game.

Billy

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wow that was a quick fix... Thanks for the update!

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    How is it possible we have 312 members in the community but only 21 with scores on the community mission leaderboard? Are people just doing the daily mission?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I got the update too. I hope El can drop by and confirm that the Stun EMP works fine or if it is bugged. Upgrades supposedly increase the stun duration to over 6 seconds, but on mine when i activate a full range stun it still just stuns for 1 second. Made upgrading feeling moot, and the cash is hard to come by in this game outside of IAPs.

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#98 Anotherkellydown, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    I have one ship with stun, I was upgrading so I could get past the ships that shoot lasers. I haven't used it a ton but it seems to last a bit for me. The enemy bullets that are on-screen when you use stun are still there, but it stops any more from being fired for a short time. I haven't tried to time it though but it's seems to last a decent amount of time. BTW, you're killing me in this AND SF:Reloaded. :p

@EI - Tried to sign in to my Firi acct on the iPad mini (been playing on iPhone) and I can't remember the password I used. How can I reset or retrieve it? Edit: sent my question to [email protected]

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Does pilot level affect anything? Or is it just a way of showing off how much you've played?

20. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Warp gate can give you the same ship twice?!? That was very disappointing to learn this morning.