Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. weehomer

weehomer Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    North of Ohio
    Oh, and I'm also getting the "invalid returned data" error.

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah, the friends list never worked for me. I always get the "invalid returned data" too.

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks syntheticvoid!

To those who are having issues with the friends list. Please mail my colleague, the tech master :), at [email protected] and be sure to include your UDID so we can get to the bottom of this! Thanks in advance, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Firigames is currently enroute to the annual Dutch Game Awards because we have been nominated. Wish us good luck (though honestly Phoenix HD is awesome either way of course).

4. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Purchased. Coolio!:D

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    oh yeah, to anyone wondering... the game is running just fine on iOS 4.3.3 - yeah, I haven't made the jump to iOS 5 yet - I'm scared I'll loose everything, and I"m just not ready for that yet. =oP

6. Soullus794

Soullus794 Member

May 29, 2010
    Student
    Illinois
    Great update!! I bought every IAP for this game. Only suggestions I have for this game is to keep the enemy variety coming. I bought this game when it was released and still play a few runs every now and then. Great pick up and play game!

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, this is the only game that I've got both the regular and HD versions, and have bought every IAP for both of them. Definitely one of my favorite iOS games.... and this Shogun update has just made it WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better!

8. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Wish I hadn't upgraded. It broke my jailbreak.:(

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #329 sapphire_neo, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    OMFG! The Shogun is amazing! Love love LOVE the new update >_<

No other game has done grazing like you guys have implemented it here. My only concern is the balance in the ships now, but I trust you guys to have taken care of that :D

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #330 sapphire_neo, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    I love how the Shield almost becomes an Alpha Strike for the Shogun.

4.8mil with the Shogun in my 4th run with it. Crazy ship =/ Also, I've noticed sometimes the Shogun's blade cancels out Alpha Strikes. Was this intended?

11. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Bought the new ship, it's freakin awesome!

I know this is soon, but do you have any plans to add more ships? (I want to give you more money)

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I am IN LOVE with this new ship!!! The changing colors is FRIGGIN SWEET. The attacks are BAD ASS, getting a shield is EXTREMELY SATISFYING... Everything about this new ship is PERFECT. It takes Phoenix to a whole new level. Definitely offers a completely new kind of gameplay, and totally sets itself apart from the rest of the ships.

The new enemies and bullet patterns are also SO SO great. I can't believe how much gameplay I've gotten out of this game since buying the original in October of last year... $8 VERY well spent... =oD

13. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    !!!
    Can someone post a screenshot of the new ship in action? I can't currently update the app so... I'M MISSING OUT ON THE FUN! :mad:

14. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    @syntheticvoid: Thanks a lot, also for your continued support, it is much appreciated and we are happy you enjoy the game :)

@teh_ninja: Currently not.

@sapphire_neo: Thanks! Yes, the Shogun definitely has more potential to gain higher scores, we don't really see this as a problem though :>
    The shield has a totally different effect on the Shogun indeed, it means instant carnage! We are very happy how the shogun turned out in terms of diversity. It is also interesting how dangerous small enemies are, with the non-disappearing bullets when the enemy is destroyed.
    The slash indeed interrupts any active Alpha Strike. This is intended. All special attacks are on the same 'slot', for various reasons. Another situation where this occurs is the Nightfury laser from the Mirage, which is also canceled by/cancels Alpha Strikes.

All in all, great response guys, we're glad you like it. The Shogun had a relatively long road to get the gameplay as it is now, so we're especially happy you guys like it as well :)

And gunxsword, I posted this earlier, but take no shame in posting again :>
    [​IMG]

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #335 sapphire_neo, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    I love the adjustments you guys have made to the enemy patterns and behaviors for the Shogun. Stuff like medium sized enemies sometimes showing up halfway down the screen, giving you lesser time to dodge and those fun static pattern shooters.

I love the new enemy ships, especially the one that is rear heavy and so leaves more of the screen clear for lots of dodging action. Also, when are you guys going to add the new enemy ships to the site so I can drool at their awesome design and know what to call them? ;)

Edit: Heh forgot I could just check achievements for names. Jester and Harbinger, cool names. Just need to figure out which is which. I guess the static patterns and other tweaks are overall additions to the game, not Shogun specific. The medium sized enemies moving halfway down the screen is scary =/

16. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Can't wait! ... for my account to be returned to me... oh well.

17. hongy183

hongy183 New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I like the new idea for the new ship!thanks for keep this game freshing!good job!

18. gamerjames22

gamerjames22 Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    very nice game...

19. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Here's a new content round-up for people wondering:

1. The Shogun - Behold the Shogun, "great general who subdues barbarians".

[​IMG]

This new ship relies on brutal blade counterattacks which are activated by grazing a bullet near its cockpit. The longer you can counterattack without being hit, the stronger the blade gets, finally resulting in a deadly attack denoted by the red trails left by the ship and the color of the attack.

[​IMG]

The Shogun can also attack directly if there are no bullets available to counterattack, with a close-up lightning attack. Particularly useful for eliminating disabled enemies.

[​IMG]

Finally, although the Shogun's blade cancels out Alpha Strikes because it's at the same damage output level, the developers have bestowed a great gift to this new ship. When it is using a shield, the Shogun counterattacks all bullets hitting the shield, effectively making the counterattack region as big as the shield. This can usually result in one shield being able to devastate up to 4 waves of enemies in less than 3 seconds.

2. New Enemies - Jester and The Harbinger

The Jester is a new mid-sized enemy ship, which carries a very unique new cannon. This 4-barreled cannon produces a static diamond-shaped bullet pattern that is not affected by the ship's motion once the firing has started. This can be particularly deadly for the Shogun. As such, the cannon's fire comes in a various flavors, such as wide/narrow/half, single/double/triple.

[​IMG]

The Harbinger is a new large enemy ship carrying 5 cannons, including a center cannon that is a new 360-degree firing gatling cannon. This same weapon can also be seen on the Harpy sometimes where the duration of fire is greatly increased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition to the above, the game now also features Twitter integration, new achievements, iOS5 supports and some minor fixes.

20. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the screenshots and the roundup, I thoroughly enjoyed them! How did you manage the first UI shot without any overlay? Timing?