Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #821 SumoSplash, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Oh, and Connector, 'funnest' isn't a word. Sorry for the mass postings :D

2. English and me, know good. Me thinks...

3. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    The Mirage and Phoenix are my favorite ships and my high score is only 7 mil. :(

4. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    7 million is a good score! I think mine is around 8. One of these days I want to knuckle down and try to break that 10 million mark.

I like playing the game so much and just watch everything that goes on that sometimes I don't care about the score at all.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks for all the great responses guys you've all been helpful. Not sure why i was never giving much attention to shmups before, but i love the relative touch controls for the, now on the ipad.

I'm thinkin about getting the teleport ship as my first purchase. :)

6. Impressive that you joined us shmup lovers club folk. But welcome anytime. I will try to post a picture of my icade core joystick with Phoenix hd, and maybe hdmi tv. It is sexy...

Much sexier than even the best endless runner.

So sexy that it will rock your world. :p

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Tried the Trinity but the shorter range didnt click with me. Tested back Phoenix ang i got my first 1mil! I think i'll buy the corsair next. Ship looks kind ugly, but a turret lockon seems pretty useful now that ive played about 4 games in phoenix HD.

8. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The Trinity's main guns do not have low range. They are just so fast that you only see the first part of the animation right next to your ship and then at the impact point on the enemy.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... i guess i'll have to test again!

Thanks!

10. Trinity is a fun ship especially with teleports and slow mo. But it is not a good regular ship. Corsair is the funnest and easiest to play. Cool missiles. Having both is great as I told you before. Best combo.

11. OMG!

Wowzers!!!

I am shocked...

I was wondering how you were going to do icade core support for the Trinity since it has teleports and slo mo. Thought Trinity would suck with the icade core cause I wouldn't use teleport and a button would be used for slo mo...

Wow, I am shocked how good of a job you did! Absolutely shocked... Getting an icade was worth just experiencing this!

Let me explain to the non icaders, you use the big stick to control the Trinity, if you RELEASE the stick, the ship goes into automatic slo mo. Since my ipad is close to me on my icade core, I can then touch any part of my ipad screen to teleport. May sound simple, but it is amazing.

Never played a game with controls so well integrated that you play with a joystick and ipad touch controls at the same time. Of course you can't play on hdmi tv this way, but wow, it is refreshing to see this joint joystick/ipad touch controls run to such perfection.

Never played like this before ever. It is amazing... Wow, only other time I got this amazing feeling was playing alpha zero with two hands on my ipad playing on hdmi tv. That made my ipad feel like a two handed touchscreen joystick.

In Phoenix, with the Trinity, I feel like I am in a spaceships cockpit, joystick in one hand, using the other to teleport on a touchscreen. It is utterly fantastic and new. A hybrid joystick/touchscreen implementation done remarkedably fantastic with the slo mo concept.

I am breathless, this really gives me hope that an ipad can really shine with new and innovative controls that not even a console can produce.

Good job Selachii on the integration of the Trinity and the icade core. I am shocked that it came out so well. Can't believe no one mentioned it before, it is amazing. :)

12. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Nope, not at this time.

Many of the TA-folks already provided some nice advice. I can also recommend watching the in-app video for each ship carefuly, their goal is to show off the key characteristic ability/playstyle. (the videos are accessible in the Ship Selection screen)

:D Sadly though, you are not the only one who missed this fact. Though I consider Phoenix HD basic and simple, it's already relatively complicated for the masses.

We haven't heard this before. It would be great if you could send your crash reports to [email protected], we'll quickly analyze it and let you know what's up.

7mil is not bad at all.

Hah, thanks a lot, great to see our work is appreciated. The credit for this doesn't go to me though, but to the other guy (Firi Games is not a 1-man show, it's 2 man, zomg!). He spent extra time on the iCade implementation of the Trinity and he was super happy reading your post :)

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Didnt know that tapping the video icon shows a showcase of the ship :D

Why didnt i think of tapping that icon? Anyways, just bought all ships, and so far im liking the hardcore-ish SHOGUN.

Every dollar i put here is pretty well worth it. Great game, for a bullet-hell-noob like me.

14. I was shocked how you all implented Trinity icade core controls. Amazing, really. So futuristic and cool.

So thank that other guy for me, I am gonna take my post and put it in the icade support thread so people will buy the trinity to experience this joint joystick/touchscreen experience. Amazing.

Show him this picture too for a laugh. It's now my favorite game to play on the john... Literally! Haha. ;)

Attached Files:

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ew...

16. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Got 3.5 mil with trinity. I see the potential.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im nowhere nere that score, but i love the feeling when i got my 1.5M run with Shogun. Also, i hope that Shogun lets me practice some maneuvering and grazing for other shmups too.

18. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Try teleporting behind enemy vessels at the very top of the screen. When you draw their fire in that direction, teleport back in front of them.

19. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hey guys and gals, it's a great saturday morning here in Holland, though rainy... but that doesn't matter, we are indoors behind our Macs, nice and cozy.

We have planned our very own little Firi Games Jam this weekend! We will be hacking Phoenix HD with some 'extreme' concepts and seeing if we can hone it into something new. With 'extreme' we generally put all our attributes and mechanics into extreme values and use that as the baseline to go into a new direction.
    Though playing around with crazy values is always fun, our goal is to get some solid new gameplay into Phoenix HD.

We have no clue what will come out of this weekend, maybe this whole thing will fizzle, maybe we end up with some new game modes... who knows!

The entire Firi Games team is present, that would be @troberti and me (@edrijver). I think I will be posting our progress here if we have something to post and if I don't end up double posting if people aren't interested :)

Here goes nothing!

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #840 SumoSplash, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    So this is like a brainstorm think tank meeting of the minds tossed into a blender? Nice! I suggest you guys getting a case of beer first :eek:

What exactly will you guys be doing?

EDIT: That is a loaded question. I should probably be scared of the answer.

DOUBLE EDIT: I think we're ready for a new ship :D