Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Quesion: is the new Phoenix ship optimized for retina devices? I compared the graphics to the original game and there seems to be no difference in sharpness. The background for the menus is also not as sharp as could be with slightly blurry lines. Perhaps it's a testament to how good the game looked before but it would be great to get clarification either way.
    I play on iPod touch 4g.

Another question: currently after every playthrough a window appears prompting me to buy an online IAP. I am not really interested In leaderboards, so would only buy the ships. Does the prompt go away after I buy new ships or is it designed to bug me until I purchase the leaderboard access? If it is designed to appear every time, please program it to be removed after ship IAP is purchased. For those who don't need leaderboard access this pop up can become annoying.

2. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    #82 flameon, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    nvm my post is erroneous.

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Your device runs it at slightly increased resolution, but not native, so the observation is correct.

it will disappear when any iap is bought (ship or pass :) ) If you enjoy the game, the region based aspect of the leaderboards will add a nice new dimension to the game, even if you don't care about highscores.

The leaderboars are shared with the original Phoenix, you can see the total amount of players when you open the 'World' leaderboard.

4. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for your reply. Is it at all possible for you to include retina optimised versions of all ships? Don't care as much about backgrounds or bullets, but ships do stand out as not optimised due to the fact that they are more stationary on the screen than other moving objects.

5. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    #85 Jaklar, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Leaderboard Rant

As a preamble, I've been playing Phoenix since the first version was released and it's one of my favorite iOS games, having survived longer without deletion than any other game, save for Cave shooters, which puts you in good company...

Anyway, I suspect players who really dig these types of games, bullet-hellers in particular, play for one specific purpose: getting a better score than last time; competing against other scores. I know that's true of myself.

It's here where Phoenix is coming up short.

Now, I may have my facts wrong and, if so, don't hesitate to tell me to shut up, but Phoenix has had several gameplay updates since the initial release. Originally, there was no way to save power ups for later use; that was added later. Very cool features, really changes the nature of the game...but it also changes scoring and technique. Now this is where I may be wrong, but I don't think the leader boards have EVER been reset.

And now here we are again, whole new game with slight differences, but those difference make change scoring techniques, etc.

Again, the leader boards have not been reset..and, in fact, carried over from the iPhone version.

The #1 player has a seemingly impossible score of 106,628,xxx(it's so large I can't see all the numbers)...I suspect that score has no validity, considering the #2 player has 17-million. So, the #1 player should probably be erased, unless the Dev's have confidence in its authenticity.

So, here's the deal. As it stands (unless I'm mistaken), there are scores on the leader board that come from not only the last version of Phoenix, but even the original version of Phoenix, which I found much easier to rack up good scores on (pre-saving power-ups).

That makes even looking at the leader boards a waste. I want to know what the scores are with the context of what is possible in the current version, not a version that can no longer be played. It's ancient history, never to be repeated. I'm not even sure I can break my high score, as I set it on the original Phoenix and haven't even come close since the last few updates.

As nifty as regional breakdowns are, I would LOVE to see daily, weekly and monthly leader boards. I paid .99-cents for online access to a leader board that isn't wiped with new game changing updates and, well, really doesn't do much expect tell me how awesome I am in California.

Sorry for the rant, but I love this game so much and really play for score and this whole leader board issue just bugs me and detracts from your otherwise stellar game. I'm singling you guys out, but wow, so many apps are guilty of what I'll call "leader board abandonment". (I'm looking at you, Infinity Field HD)

I'll shut up now. (I'm a long-winded ex-game critic, naturally)

6. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I hear that devs cannot delete highscores off GC (Fruit Ninja dev said that). Though it is possible with Openfeint.

7. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Yeah, I believe that's true. However, I believe hey can set limits, meaning that if you get above a certain score, it doesn't count...

8. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    #88 Jaklar, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    I believe the leader board in Phoenix is internal and doesn't use Gamecenter, though it does use GC for tracking Achievements. They should have complete control over its functionality and integrity.

While I'm still yapping, one more thing: I'd rather see categories on the leader board for ship types, rather than regional breakdowns. While the regional stuff is cool, ehhh, it doesn't tell me much other than Asians are superior at bullet-hell games (I don't need a leader board to know that, heh)

9. weehomer

weehomer Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    North of Ohio
    It would be a nice touch if the loyal fans who own both games were granted access to a "bonus" ship?

Oh, and as far as scoring, only been able to get about half my high score!

10. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    It isnt gamecenter.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I would definitely love to see the leaderboards receive a little cleaning and some updates with weekly/daily features.

12. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Member

Aug 11, 2011
    There seems to be less weapon upgrade options for the Phoenix. I remember a triangle looking gun shot for the Phoenix ship. Haven't seen it in the new game.

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Anyone want to compile current HD build high scores in a post?

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for making the upgrades different shapes based on shield, life, or weapons!!! Now I don't get get the different colors confused! =D

About the high scores..does the friends line work? I'm getting an "Invalid Returned Data" error message...

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Reached 2.8mil with Corsair again but can't break 3mil :( Is it just me or have EMPs gotten a lot rarer. I didn't get even get one during my 2.8mil run.

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Hmm... discovered a weird situation:
    EMP + red balls of death. I activated an EMP against a boss (the wide winged one) with a double red ball shooter (that spreads into a ring of bullets). The EMP cleared out the ring of bullets but the red balls were unaffected. I rammed my ship just under a red ball (thinking it would be EMP'ed) and well, died :p

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    (I'll probably regret asking this) gunxsword, what's your high score on the HD build so far?

18. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Eh... 0 I guess? It's not recorded so I really wouldn't know :D Though my average is around 2 mil. Highest ever is 4.3 mil.

All highscores are produced by the mighty Corsair :D:D:D

19. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I've reached 2.5mil more than 10 times, but I keep hitting a wall around 3mil :( Why aren't your scores being recorded?

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I have not run into this... I've been able to EMP the hell outta the bullet bombs... =o/