Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Just started playing and I also think this is an awesome game and one reason is I like how the AI is setup to adjust to your level of difficulty.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Everyone loving the game, please don't forget to rate the game and leave a nice review :)

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Why isn't it fully Retina, btw? And yes, having the 'getting stuck' problem also once in a while... annoying, because most of the time I get killed then.

4. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, good question. If only the ships were retina supported it would make a world of difference. Right now the game looks no better than original on 4g devices.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Are you kidding me??? This HD build looks 10x better than the original... =oO

6. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is dev's reply to my observation earlier in the thread. Yes, backgrounds are great, but ships (player and enemies) don't look better than original on 4G devices due to the fact that they are not running at retina resolution on those devices.

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Finally broke 3mil, and then 4mil on the same run heh :D And with the Mirage!

[​IMG]

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #128 sapphire_neo, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    (plays Phoenix)

[​IMG]

(plays Phoenix HD)

[​IMG]

Really?! No better than the original? I'll grant you that Phoenix HD doesn't look all that much sharper because as stated by the devs it doesn't run native, but at a slightly higher res. I hazard this was done to keep the game running at a silky smooth 60fps, while having all those crazy particle effects, trails, lighting effects and bullet hell madness still available and not watered down from the iPad experience. There is no way you can say that the new effects don't make Phoenix HD look a ton better than the original game. Not to mention that the iAP ships' weaponry looks a ton better in HD, especially Corsair's missile mayhem!

So, is Phoenix HD really best experienced on an iPad? Most definitely. But there's still a lot more kick in Phoenix HD than the original game even on retina devices.

(iPad screenshot for native Phoenix HD reference)

[​IMG]

Someone back me up with Corsair and Mirage screens from both games please.... >_> I never bought the older iAPs because HD had been announced by then.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Here's the two ships in the original Phoenix build...

I don't have the ships in the HD build yet... don't have the money in the bank yet... will by the end of the week though... =oP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now if someone can post HD pix of these ships we can compare. =o)

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    also, any word on when the original build is going to be updated with the new game mechanics??

11. weehomer

weehomer Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    North of Ohio
    [​IMG]

Corsair HD, from my iTouch

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Here we go,

CORSAIR
    =======

(Corsair - iPod Touch4g)

[​IMG]

(Corsair - iPad 2)

[​IMG]

MIRAGE
    ======

(Mirage - iPod Touch4g)

[​IMG]

(Mirage iPad 2)

[​IMG]

As you can see, the texture detail between the devices is a little shocking, especially when you look at the ships. But the effects and visuals are largely spellbindingly good even on the retina device. Maybe, just maybe... the devs might be able to get some more juice out of the iPhone4/touch4g and update the app with full retina support.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... the difference is HUGE!!! I can't believe how good this looks on the iPad! =oO

Damnit... I might have to switch from saving up for a 5th gen to saving up for an iPad 2!! =oD

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I would say you should wait for iPad3, since that shouldn't be too far and it will probably have retina level res for a tablet.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Also, does anyone else want that Revenant etc life bar back? I know it was a little obstructive and without it the game is a lot more immersive, but I would love for that to be an option.

16. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    the pictures are expanded way beyond the regular screen resolutions for the itouch. Im still wondering which of the 2 iap ships to get. :) maybe both later but for now 1 of them.

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    "the pictures are expanded way beyond the regular screen resolutions for the itouch."

What? They are retina res, native touch4g 640x960. Also, I would recommend Corsair, even though both my high scores so far have come off the Mirage.

18. flameon

Jul 26, 2011
    my bad, i meant that the pixels are concentrated in the iTouch because of the size of the screen. it looks better on the device than in the images you provided.

19. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Ah yeah, but people tend to get touchy about lack of retina support, especially on something tagged HD. And the blurry ships are still very noticeable on retina devices.

20. flameon

Jul 26, 2011
    yeah, its still amazing, im not complaining. :p def worth the money for leaderboards and ships.

but they can make ships hd and improve the MAIN MENU cause it looks ugly. :p and make the difficulty stars and score on the fighting screen retina too. :D