Universal Pie In The Sky: A Pizza Odyssey (by Salty Croc Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. SaltyRyan

SaltyRyan Active Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    Canada
    No, nothing like that at all. It's a single static menu button, but if you never tap it, you would never even know there was IAP, except for maybe a few locked slots in the pizza maker and a locked skin (though none of these point you towards the IAP either.) The achievement for unlocking all toppings is also naturally not dependent on purchasing the extra toppings.
    I am a refugee of free-to-play development and I got out of it because I was tired of obnoxious purchasing pressure, so you'll find none of it here.

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Wow this game rules. Tilt controls are damn good too.
    My only complaint is the loading times but really this is a must buy.

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#24 Anotherkellydown, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance

You nailed it man! Haven't heard that in forever.

Great job with the video. I really like having commentary along with the gameplay. I'm hoping this catches on with people. Such a great game.

4. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #25 Sash-O, Mar 31, 2015
    @Anotherkellydown

I don't know how you come up with this video/song, but thanks for the "Ohrwurm" I gonna have all day. ;)
    Haven't heard that either for a long time.

"We can dance, we can dance everybody's takin' a chance"...

Best wishes to NY, haven't been there for a long time. I miss that city.

And yeah, Pie in The Sky looks awesome!

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Haha!! That's it!! It's been stuck in my head ever since I started playing the game!! Lol

6. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    would really like to listen to the soundtrack separately. Especially the one that plays on the pizza menu. 80's retro future vibe is phenomenal.

7. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Game is dank

8. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Awesome work matey; I love watching video reviews as I can play them at work or listen whilst I game. Impressions mixed with gameplay is something this site sorely needs so please keep it up!

This game is great in every way, even if you're anti-tilt. Such a classy product that draws from its influences with respect but adding its own flair. I love it!

9. SaltyRyan

SaltyRyan Active Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    Canada
    #30 SaltyRyan, Mar 31, 2015
    You are in luck... the soundtrack is also for sale. :)

10. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Thanks Pete! Il that means a lot! I have another coming through the pipeline in a few here. As long as people dig them, then I'll keep making them.

Anyway, like Pete said, this is a classy product. Don't let the tilt controls determine your purchase. This game is so good. I couldn't imagine it any other way besides tilt. I'm sure it could be done, but I like it as is........and I'm not a big fan of tilt controls either.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #32 Qwertz555, Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks to Akdown and Noen, i'm putting this on my tomorrows/thursday shopping list. I'm convinced with the tilt controls. Making a huge exception here, simply because i like the look and the music. Oh yeah, and i can shoot stuff;)

Hmm...tilt is working while laying on my couch, since it's only left/right, right?

PS:
    Safety Dance - a great one-hit-wonder with a horrible video, imho.

@NOEN
    balance the music (too loud) compared to your voice and make a living out of it. Developers should hire and pay you for this. Very well done, thanks!

Edit: i always have and will appreciate Sanuku/redribbon/touchy and co.'s videos, but with a commentary it would be way easier to make up my mind. Of course, much more (unpaid) work and effort would be needed.

12. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    #33 NOEN, Mar 31, 2015
    Haha. Seriously. Safety Dance has been in my head ever since yesterday and thanks for the kind words. I'm still tweaking the volume of my voice. I know I have the voice of an angel, but I thought it was too loud originally. Lol. But yea, I will alway appreciate Sanuku, Double R, and itouchy's videos. I'm subscribed to them on YouTube and still watch them daily in order to figure out what to buy.

Oh, and tilt DOES work while laying on the couch. I just tried for ya. Lol

13. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Thanks - couldn't resist - bought.

Yep, tilt works really fine!

Though, i always think that the Devs should give us a sensitivity option in tilt-only games. Actually a must-have, imo. For my taste, i definitely would tune it down a bit. Also, the car could need a bit, no sorry, way more weight. It feels more like a heavy paper in the wind. Absolute no game breaking stuff, just saying.

The presentation is great and very polished. The same goes for the chosen colors...and the music fits perfectly.
    Upgrading with all those little pizza toppings gives you quite something to unlock and play for. You won't get bored that fast.

Glad i spent the $3

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I'm giving this a shot.. Not a tilt fan but this looks cool.. Any possibility you can add a left, right "button"? Not sure it would work with the UI but just wondering.. Muchas gracias ###

15. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

This has my approval. Some good fun to be had and the style feels just right.

16. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    I guess i was too hypnotized with the great music, that i totally overlooked or overheard the sfx sounds. Turning off the music results in a huge disappointment (for me). Unfortunately, no space feeling comes up...not one bit. Also, the crashes/impacts are inexistent, pity.
    Maybe some nit-picking issues from my side only, but it would make the overall experience way better and my 5th star in the app store.

17. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    The link directs me to a blank page in the Canadian App store :(

18. SaltyRyan

SaltyRyan Active Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    Canada
    Whoops! I guess that link is finicky. Here's a link to it for sale on Bandcamp.

19. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Unbelievable that such goodness is only condensed into $3.

The soundtrack alone is a masterpiece.