Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #541 crunc, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    LOL. Yes, you're right. For some reason I was thinking you had to use the launch button, but both flipper buttons work. I don't think it's possible to use troll bombs, though. Those require hitting the launch button.

The update went fine on my iPhone 4. No problems with the icon. Also the internet speed at work is *way* better than my DSL at home. :)

I can't wait for Attack from Mars, but I think it has the same issue with the super skill shot. If I recall correctly, it requires you to hold a flipper while launching the ball, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure, but it's been a while since I played one. Hopefully they put in a way for us to do that by then, and add it to MM as well.

2. kaplanfx

kaplanfx New Member

May 11, 2009
    I also have 4G, maybe they are checking a version number and didn't properly include the 4G models. I have Verizon. Same tiny UI problem.

-kap

3. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Me too. Same iPad config (Verizon 4G). The initial scrolling tables are wedged up into the upper quarter of the screen, and the video boards for the machines looks much smaller.

Oh well, at least it's playable now and the 2 new tables seem fun.

Oh and the table graphics look much better now.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The two new tables are great.

Two comments:

Sound clip quality seems worse - I've never played Bride of Pinbot in real life, but we had a Medieval Madness machine at work years ago. The clips don't seem anywhere near as clean as the initial set of tables (minus Black Hole, perhaps)

Also, maybe it was the table I played on, but MM seems much easier here that what I remember. Anyone else here that can compare it to real life experience?

5. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm starting to loose faith in Farsight. The basic mechanics and tables are superb but every single release has been extremely buggy!

This release is no exception. It's almost as if they didn't give a damn about the quality of a release.

High scores are completely broken for me. Every single high score I set on Bride of Pinbot, is a grand champion score.. even if it was way lower than previous scores. It has completely messed up my high scores.

Well at least this time high scores are saved (this wasn't the case in the last update!).

Another issue is the ball going through the flippers.. or then it's a frame rate hickup on my 3GS but it sure looks like the flipper sometimes doesn't register a hit. Almost like in VPinball + PinMamem where the flippers sometimes missed the ball. Are they USING vpinball eh? :)

Cheers!

6. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010

I think between all the versions they are supporting they are stretched a little thin right now. They have just released ports for Xbox, PS3, Android, IOS and Vita! Testing all those is a lot, never mind dealing with 3 different iPad 3 models. And platform-specific things like GameCenter integration are low priority because they only help one port.

I hope they get around to fixing all this stuff because these pinballs are pretty much my favorite iPad games bar none.

7. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Coming off Williams Collection on the PS3 I had huge hopes and expectations for this ... but Pinball Arcade has to be my biggest disappointment of the year so far.
    The physics seem hit and miss at times, and graphics just don't seem anywhere near as good ... maybe that is just a symptom of the mobile platform, I dunno.

But I swear, every single time I play Williams I just shake my head in disbelief at how uncannily lifelike the tables are to the real world counterparts I played when younger. If you know these tables it is just unfreakinreal.

But I don't think I'll bother buying any of these table on iOS after playing Arabian Nights. I keep waiting hoping they'd update and improve that table before buying more ... but I've not seen it yet.
    Maybe it's a huge leap up on the iPad 3, I dunno.

Will have to investigate and see if they've done any better w/ the PS3 port.

so sad

8. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    The PS3 version is much better graphically than the iPad version......the physics feel better as well.

9. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    thank you !

I will be sure to hop on that then ... still somewhat disappointing, as it is so much more convenient on the iPad.
    But the iPad graphics just don't have anything close to that "jump out and grab you by the eyeballs" realism I love in Williams Collection.

So then probably I just have unrealistic expectations for the product on this platform.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think this is due both to the real world limitations of the iOS devices in general and, also to a large degree, trying to make a single version of the game that will run decently on such a wide range of iOS devices.

When it comes to the PS3 and 360 they're dealing with single systems they can optimize everything to and are likely, as sad as it may be to admit, probably a lot more powerful than even an iPad 2 (probably even iPad 3 but not sure).

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have heard that the PS3 version has lag problems with the flippers. A friend told me it was pretty much unplayable on there. But then another said it wasn't a big deal, so I don't know. It does play great on my Xbox. No lag. But I don't think this game looks bad on an iPad 2 at all. I think it looks quite good. I haven't played PHoF in a while, but I don't recall it looking better, and the comparison screens I've seen between PHoF and PA show pretty clearly that PA's versions of the repeat games look a lot better. However that might have been a console comparison. Still, it looks pretty darn good on my iPad 2.

The only problem with it is the nature of a touch screen - it's inherently going to feel imprecise. It's the problem of the distance your fingers are from the screen varying as you play. So one attempt to flip you only move a small distance to the screen, and another attempt to flip you travel farther in touching the screen. So the timing varies. There's no way around that without going with physical controls. I'm finding this to be less a problem on my iPad, though.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nudge sensitivity?

Another note: does the nude (tilt) seem more sensitive to anybody?

Maybe I'm just playing the games too excitedly? :)

Didn't seem a problem on our iPad2, but I'm almost tilting quite a bit on my iPhone4...

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Sometimes when I play the tilt goes completely haywire. This happened my first game of Medieval. I turned the iPad to portrait and it did way better, but I have a feeling it is how the game calibrates and it wasn't so much that it works better in portrait, but that it recalibrated once I turned it to portrait. I.e. it could easily have been the other way round. I'm guessing there is some unspecified point where it tries to calibrate and if you happen to be moving the iPad/iPhone about at that time it will be messed up. I haven't verified this, though.

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Graphics (with some minor errors like the tiny UI, or some table's outside views where you pull the plunger are blurred) seem to be retina enabled as you can see from the iPad 3 screenshots I provided here.

Played for a while now. No problems here with physics so far. Flippers respond good, no balls going through flippers, smooth graphics and animations. Fun to play. Great tables. Sorry for all of you who don't have it like this.

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

iPad 3 here, update is fine so far. No "mini UI" issues.

I have had some flipper issues all along (just replying to a previous post), mainly the ball seems to come off the paddles at odd angles, even at slower speeds. Hard to say though in such a fast game. I know first hand that programming properly functioning pinball flippers can be very difficult, and these are the types off glitches I've seen in past experiences. Again though, I'll admit it's difficult to tell most of the time but the aim feels "off" fairly often. Whether there's a problem there or not though, it's something that can be tinkered with over time.

I'm certain that balls have passed through the flippers once or twice, but not "cleanly". It's like the ball ended up "inside" the flipper and shot out at an odd direction. The ball wasn't moving fast at the time but it did come at the flipper from a very odd angle. Not a deal breaker at all for me though. I guess overall I'll rate the physics an 8 out of 10.

I do wish I could turn off the machine "music" sometimes while I'm in the menus. It gets irritating fast for me, boop-bee-boop-beeeeeboop-blip. Some machines more-so than others. Just a pet peev though, nothing major.

I like this overall package.

No excuses. Every company has deadlines and issues. It has been acceptable for years to knowingly release unfinished software - especially games. It's our (the consumer) acceptance and tolerance of this that perpetuates it (what choice do we have though?). Not that I haven't made mistakes as a dev, but as a developer I believe that most gamers don't know when an update is expected and are not too disappointed when it comes a few days late. However, a user will definitely remember if a company repeatedly releases poorly designed products or updates. If given the choice, I would delay a release and get it right instead.

The first time I opened Midieval Madness I couldn't make heads or tails of the table. There's little shadowing or anything that helps give it that 3D feel. Or maybe it's like everything is so sharp and crisp that it takes away from the 3D effect. I'm being nit-picky now so I'll stop.

I love pinball and this is a great (if not the best) addition to my collection. My negative comments above don't really detract from the game for me.

16. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Just make daredevil dave 2 already

17. Mirai

Mirai Active Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Fantastic app :) I'm playing it as much as Bejeweled, and trust me, it's at least 3-4 times a day!

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    One thing that makes genuinely weird stuff happen is when a notification pops up. That makes it appear like the game is going crazy as it gets uber laggy for a moment. If I'm going to play it seriously I'll need to shut off notifications....

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Ooh, I hate when that happens! :mad:

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

While the game is working great for me on my iPad 1, my wife is having weird Facebook issues with the Free version, even after this latest update.

She's purchased all of the tables, is logged into Facebook according to the App (the login button is now a logout one), but she can't access any of the Facebook scores as she is told she first must login to see them!? She's even logged out of Facebook and then logged back in to no effect.