Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. DeanKeith

DeanKeith Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    The only bug I've encountered on the newest release is not being about to enter my initials when getting a high score on Taxi.

But... I haven't played Funhouse on the new version... guess I won't. It's not my favorite anyway.

My favorite is still Monster Bash, but Gofers is growing on me fast.

2. DeanKeith

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for posting this... that controller looks awesome!

I just sent the company an email titled "Duo Pinball - Why Exclusive?" and expressed my interest in the product, but only if it has an open API that any developer can support.

No way I'd drop $60 to only be able to play Gameprom's tables. They are fun, but I haven't even started up that app since Pinball Arcade came out. :D

3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I'm glad this thread exists, otherwise I'd never know which updates are safe and which ones are not! Farsight has a pretty pathetic track record with Pinball Arcade.

Pinball Arcade is a great idea that's been executed rather haphazardly with bad menus, nice looking tables that could use some updated lighting and shadows, and perhaps the most consistently horrible quality control I've come across.

It's really too bad. I like the real tables as opposed to some of Gameproms tables, but, well...they don't work. It's been a long time and this game is still broken.

Even swiping from table to table doesn't work right, as sometimes I skip right over a table, or the menu bounces back to the previous one. All of the menus are terrible. It's like they made a prototype with temporary menus, and just left them as they were.

I hate to be so negative. I was looking forward to this game for so long...I'm still waiting, I guess.

4. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    as long they get it done till christmas (including TZ & STTNG), i'm happy :p

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    all are fixable! but yeah, everything you say is true. . .

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I know, they had it working great just a week ago. I just thought it was so funny that here we were without an update for ages, we finally get the massive 4 table update, which for a PA release was amazingly solid. So now, not even 2 weeks later I see this next update I grabbed it without hesitation only to find out I just shot myself in the foot. :(

7. SylvainDragon

SylvainDragon Member

Jul 8, 2012
    I really like the sound, it reminds me of those long hours spent in workin...playing.

8. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Can not post my Taxi highscores anymore since the update.

After complaining so much about the to easy tables, I must say, that the difficulty of Taxi is perfect. The games last between and 15 minutes. Thats how it should be. The more you practice, the higher you score.

9. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Agreed.

Most of the reviews for Duo Pinball have not been glowing. The biggest complaints are:

- Price
    - Build quality
    - Single game compatibility

I suppose it's late to change build quality, but if more games supported the accessory and they lowered the price by half (at least), then I'd pick it up and recommend it to others. I'd love a proper little game pinball accessory for my iPad.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Really the best thing I can think of (other than proper plunger control) would be to drill two 1" holes on the sides of an iCade, then wire those in parallel with the buttons (and have the game support the iCade, of course!) Bonus points would be a button to hold for the flipper on the lower-front-right portion and/or one (or three) buttons lower-front-center for nudging left/up/right.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just come back from the UK's largest computer/retro show (Play Expo). What was great was because of Pinball Arcade i wanted to check out the original machines, they had about 6 of the actual machines which are in the app. Took a few pictures and had the app on my iphone on while i compared it to the real thing. Very very impressive !

I mean obviously they are based on real machines but i was impressed by the copy we've got on iOS, a ton of detail.

The pinball machines did seem harder but some were frustratingly harder so i'm glad the app is a bit easier. But into the app even more after playing on many of the originals

12. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Sounds like a great experience to see some real tables and to compare them
    Nice to know the detail is there in abundance in the app games!!

13. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #1093 cplr, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    My boss got a Duo Pinball and I just tried it out. I also read some bad reviews and frankly I think they aren't that warranted (the 1-star rating on Cnet is a little ridiculous, honestly reminds me of the dweeby 1-star reviews in the App Store which we've all seen). The build quality is decent, not as bad as others have said. The buttons have a nice click to them (and can probably be modded to use better buttons if that is your thing - they are standard arcade style buttons like on the iCade). The buttons feel like they have almost no latency, but the plunder feels a little latent (which has no gameplay impact).

Now for the juicy info: tried pairing it with a computer to see what's going on and it's being paired as a "headset" device. This means there's no passcode to enter. It also allows for analog input with the plunger, as I believe the plunger position is being sent using the microphone input. This also means that Pinball Arcade should theoretically be able to add support for it, granted they get the SDK from the company who makes the Duo Pinball. There is no reason this can't happen.

I am going to get one to see if it's possible to turn it into a PC/Mac controller and use it with Future Pinball :)

the pocket gamer review matches what i experienced with it: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Duo+Pinball/hardware_review.asp?c=45563 .. I personally think it's worth it for pinball fans to get it, but we should definitely try and get both pinball arcade and zen pinball to add support. worth $60? maybe.. All I know is I wasn't planning on getting one, but after playing with one for a few minutes I do want one now, so that's saying something.

14. DeanKeith

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Duo Pinball would be a must-buy for me if it supported multiple games including Pinball Arcade.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here but a waste of money in my view as it only supports the one game. Shame

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #1096 LordGek, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    Game Impressions

So which tables have been super hosed by this latest patch? I know Funhouse is loopy as all Hell (spontaneous multiballs with disappearing balls) but which other tables have pulled this nonsense?

Funhouse
    No Good Gofers

17. skeerup

skeerup Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    None. I havent experienced the issue with Funhouse either.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, cool for you.

Do you mind me asking your device and iOS?

19. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I have been having some problems with Cirqus Voltaire as well

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I think this is just a matter of WISHING HARD, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps anything as I know it has corrected other random issues related to the game for other people.