Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Remarks on twilight zone:

Ive played the real table, and i can say the replication, graphically at least, is pretty spot on. Rable is much simpler however, because the kick out from the slot machine is real easy to control. Regardless, tons of depth and lots of fun, though ive reached the wizard mode far too easily.

Pro tip: get real good at the 3 shot combo of left ramp, right ramp, and piano. 10 mill pts plus advances to next event on the door, plus gets gumball machine and slot machine rdy. Hit this combo 8 or 9 times and its already wizard mode time.

2. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010

This is what worked (and is still working) for me:

1. Quit the game and kill it.
    2. Restart the game.
    3. Logout of the Pinball Arcade account.
    4. Go restore all of your pinball tables EXCEPT Twilight Zone. Make sure they are downloaded and can be played.
    5. Now log in to the Pinball Arcade account to restore Twilight Zone.

I've done this on my iPhone and iPad Mini and it seems to be holding.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I will give that a shot.

I've initially been trying TZ on my iPhone 4. It's hard to play on an iPhone 4. So tiny. So I definitely need to try it on my iPad. Also the Powerball is nearly indistinguishable from a standard ball. It's supposed to be white. Does it appear white on any other devices? Also, of course, the ball is supposed to move much faster (it's much lighter). I didn't play enough to judge how accurately they simulated it. But overall it seems to play well, it's just so tiny on an iPhone 4. I'll try on my iPad 2 tonight and go through that routine you suggest first.

4. nschneider350

nschneider350 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I totally agree with you on this on that they should have used their own name on the app store. I did exact thing and downloaded one of NENA's light tables and of course didn't think much of it. I went off of the video on the TA post of Rob-o-Bot though and I am glad I did. I think I was one of the first to get it since I am a pinball nut and try to get whatever I see that might be good.

I also agree with you on since playing Rob-o-Bot I have a hard time playing PA at all and I used to play PA a ton, I still have every table but I like the physics and the faster paced games of Rob-o-Bot. I still think PA is good and I hope someday they tweak the tables or at least give us options to increase the difficulty of them.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Twilight Zone is definitely way better on iPad. The game plays well and they did a very good job with the simulation, but the Powerball is definitely silver like all the other pinballs instead of white (it's supposed to be a white ceramic pinball). Is it white on more powerful devices? I have an iPad 2. Since it's not white, getting the wizard goal of a 2x powerball jackpot is tricky - you can't tell them apart. Also not entirely convinced the ball is lighter/faster, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe it is and it just doesn't feel like it because it looks identical to the other balls.

My guess is that they don't have in place the means to have a certain ball be a different color. They are at least able to tell them apart in the simulation, so they are tracking the powerball. It just doesn't look different.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #1166 crunc, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    I think the Powerball look is a bug. Or rather I'm sure it is. If you have the standard ball look (silver), then the Powerball looks silver too. However if you set a custom ball design, then the Powerball correctly looks white. I switched to the smiley face ball and then could see the difference and then was able to get the 2x Powerball Jackpot goal. :) Now I just need to get the special.

Aside from that bug, I think they did a great job with TZ. It plays very well. Yes, it is easier than a real machine - I was able to get Lost in the Zone in my 3rd game or so - but it's still a lot of fun to play. It's probably now my favorite in Pinball Arcade.

7. DeanKeith

DeanKeith Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    This worked for me too, thanks, but there is one more step that is needed... for me when I did step #5, and then started up TZ, it prompted me to restore purchases... saying "yes" at that point starts the whole cycle up again, so you have to say "no". But since I restored the rest before, it was not needed for TZ, so now I have all tables working again.

What a pain. I sure hope they find a way to get my AppleID to know I have the table so a simple "restore" just fixes them all. It just seems wrong that the people that paid $5 for it have a better experience than the people that paid $100. :/

8. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Is it just me or does the powerball not have it's own physics? In the real table the ceramic ball doesn't behave as the ordinary pinball. There's quite a difference actually.

Perhaps I'm imagining things due to the graphics bug?

Cheers!
    bManic

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I am unsure of it myself too. It may be an illusion due to the ball looking identical, but I don't know. Try switching to a custom ball design, then the PB looks white. I have played like that, but I don't really like the custom ball designs (they make the balls look too dark and thus harder to see) so I only did that until I got the 2x PB jackpot. I still wasn't entirely sure it was any faster.

10. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

New update is out! Star Trek: The Next Generation Table (+Pro) and Pro upgrade for Medieval Madness. Nice!

11. Sun Vulcan

Sun Vulcan Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    My favorite table now! :)

12. gsxrboy

gsxrboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Kickstarter problems haven't been solved, still a bit of a mess!

13. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    well, these kickstarter issues are a mess... next time i'm gonna donate less, and buy the table regular ;)

but i'm really pumped about STTNG... steve richie rules!

so whats next? addams family, indy, T2 or even LOTR? too bad they're all heavy licensed...

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    They clearly need a UI designer. That new menu is ugly. Wow.

15. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    The guy's from farsight are moving in the wrong direction. First their plan was to conserve the fun of the good old Pinball classics. They are giving us mostly far to easy tables in "family mode".This is no fun, iit's only boring.
    Instead of releasing two tables a month, now they only release one "premium table". Half of the work, double the price. The license cost's payed the users at kickstarter already ,not farsight. The next idea to "melt the cow" are the pro menues. more expensive then the tables themselves.
    It seems, farsight's main target is the money of the user, not preserving the tables.

16. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    what the f...arsight?

the new "ugly" menu/gui is landscape only? they're joking, right? :D

17. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Not only the menu, it seems the tables are now landscape only too! I cant turn them anymore.

18. nschneider350

nschneider350 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I was able to turn mine once I hit on the table and the the menu of the table I rotated my device and it worked. I guess check to make sure the switch is off on your device.

19. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I might be in the minority here, but I think the new interface is better than the old one at least. Its not as nice as Zen Pinball's, but its a step in the right direction.

I don't know why everyone keeps on saying that the tables are too easy. I find the tables in this game much harder than other digital pinball games.

Also, pinball is much more niche than some of us would like to believe. Plus, production costs for this game are higher than one with fictional tables (like zen), so of course the prices will be higher.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    ST:TNG is out?? I need to download. But boy do I hope the problems with the Xbox market are resolved soon. I so wish to play on there.

As far as portrait vs landscape, I always play portrait on my iPad. I hope that this is just a bug that will be fixed soon. Or maybe there is some wonky new method of turning that we haven't figured out yet?