Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    But they're still much easier than the real life tables. If I want a relaxing pinball game I'll go play Tristan.

And... if you think this is much harder than other digital pinball games, I'd recommend giving Last Gladiators a spin...

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The games do play easier than the real things, but they are still fun. Especially having so many choices of machines to play.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    True that but I do have one whine. There is STILL a pretty annoying 100% reproducible bug in No Good Gofers! If you ever lock any balls in a game that aren't eventually released, you can't then start a new game, it simply goes into the fly over mode until you quit out of the table completely and then re-load the table. In all other tables these balls are kicked out at the end of the game, but for some reason they don't do that here. I guess this is a little better than the earlier form of this glitch causing weird cases of multiple balls being in the launcher when you started a new game, but this is not a real fix. It feels like as opposed to fixing the issue we've created a nice sanitary way for the player to not see the multi-ball launch at start by not even letting the player play the game at that point. :mad:

4. DeanKeith

DeanKeith Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I am having a blast with ST:TNG. Even after putting in some time on TZ, I still haven't "clicked" with it enough to see why it's the top rated table of all times. But I do admit I haven't read all 700+ pages of instructions for it... hehe

But ST:TNG is my new favorite table by far. The new menu doesn't bother me, though I do think it too needs some sorting options, etc. I can't wait to get ST:TNG on Xbox... and still hoping the PC version gets greenlit. I still think it's crazy Steam is even making them go through that process.

5. DeanKeith

DeanKeith Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    From Pinball Arcade Newsletter #10:

6. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #1186 Janni, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    thanks for posting...

ok, i tell them:

a complete interface overhaul would be highly appreciated, but why put out a half finished (and butt-ugly) GUI without any real improvements?

1 step forward, 2 steps back... like in every update they deliver :p

also, a console interface doesn't work on tablets... just give us some clean interface with direct accessibly table icons/back glasses (no need for that swiping nonsense)!

STTNG is great on the other hand.... man, i really hate/love farsight ;)

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Damn, each and every time I update this I got the all grey icon and need to delete/reinstall and then download all the tables which is getting tiring with so many of them.

On the other hand im enjoying ST a lot, they do feel easier than the original tables I have played and the physics feel off sometimes but as im not a pinball wizard but a mere human I really dont notice it that much.

8. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    You answered the question yourself. This is farsight we are talking about here. One of the most unprofessional game producers on the planet? They are very obviously not at all interested in quality.. only quantity and a quick cash in. Unfortunately they are in our tiny little niche, the pinball genre. Sigh..

I'm having a sneaking suspicion this is exactly the reason why Valve has not allowed them to get on Steam.. Valve has probably had enough of bad, premature releases already (for instance the completely borken Sword of the Stars II release). So perhaps they just can't afford to let a company like Farsight onto steam. First they'd need to prove that they can actually create some thoroughly tested code and they've continued to prove that they can't.

The latest release is as buggy as ever.. including the new star trek table.

Wish I could stop myself from giving these guys money.

9. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Farsight advertises their tables as being emulations of the real deal.. yet the difficulty is no where near the real tables.

It'd be a much better casual game if the difficulty was like the real tables. That'd mean much shorter games and thus suitable for quick plays while sitting on the bus or something. Now almost all the modern tables are 20-50 minute games.

If people want long, completely unrealistic games then it should be added as an option.. an "easy" difficulty. Not the other way around.

10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    I think "cash in" is a little too strong a phrase but basically I'm with you, bmanic.

God yes.

Hey we got Rob-o-bot plus Timeshock is on the way. That's something.

11. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Totally agree. The wrong company bought the rights. At first I thought fantastic
    and bought every table.Now I stopped it. It's all to buggy, the newer tables are to boring easy. These guys are after the money, not after preserving pinball history.

12. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Totally agree. I get the graphics, the sound but not the gameplay and the feeling of the tables. But as long as the people on the farsight facebook page are praising them for their buggy, boring easy tables, nothing will change.

13. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #1193 Janni, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    "*Terminator 2 : Judgment Day will be the next Kickstarter which should launch Q2 2013.

*A brand new UI is currently in production and FarSight hopes to have it rolled out within the next month or two."

really hope they can sort out some things till Q2... terminator 2 is probably my favorite table ever (steve richie again!)

i think one on the main problems is, that they "expanded" too soon on too many platforms (with lots of new problems, while old problems stay unfixed). would be much wiser to concentrate on a main platform and sort things out before "spreading" everywhere...

i tried on several platforms (android, osx including)... best way of playing Pinball arcade BY FAR is retina ipad portrait! concentrate on that, instead of giving us another bugged version with a console interface :p

edit: never had the chance of playing STTNG in real life, but difficulty seems pretty fine (lots of draining going on) and gameplay is really outstanding... thats where robo-o-bot/timeshock and other originals really can't compete

14. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #1194 bmanic, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    Whaaat??? Blasmphemy!! Pro Pinball Timeshock has THE BEST gameplay of all time. If it was a real table it would have been an absolute classic. If I recall correctly there was even a petition/massive forum shoutout to get Stern to develop the table for real. :)

Timeshock is a bit of an easy game. It's fairly common to have 30-60 minute games which is a bit too long for a "quick" play. It's a very difficult game to reach the wizard mode though.

Here's a nice video of Timeshock. A bit laggy in this one but you get the idea and can follow the plot (which is deeeep). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMOwKIniFo

Get the games for PC from here: http://www.gog.com/catalogue?search=Cunning+Developments

Anyhow, I'm done buying Farsight tables for now (yeah.. I said it before but this time I mean it! :) ) they need to concentrate much harder on crushing the bugs. I still get balls going through the flippers.. even on an ipad 3 which should have enough power to calculate ball position at a rate where the fastest balls don't go through them. Sigh..

15. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    #1195 Werechihuahua, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    Wow. You guys must be super elite. 50 minutes games on the Farsight tables! I am in awe of your pinball skills. What are your handles so I can find your amazing high scores? I can't find any Rudi or Bmanic but I believe you when you say the tables are far too easy for you. Just want to see those awesome high scores.

BTW... If these are terrible, boring easy tables on iOS... What are good ones? I know you can't mean the execrable Zen or Gameprom offerings. For my money Farsight are making the only good Real pinball games on earth right now. If you Experten know of better ones, I would love to hear about them and go buy them at once.

I loved the Cunning Developments tables... timeshock, fantastic journey, but no one is paying the 10 bucks each for them like the cheapest level in the kickstarter called for. That's why that failed. If they are still bringing timeshock to iOS that MIGHT be worthwhile, but they aren't selling many for ten bucks.

16. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    The good ones from farsight are Taxi, Black Knight,Medieval Madness,Gorgar,Big Shot. These are the ones with realistic gameplay difficulty.

17. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    #1197 Athos, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    Hey it's the internet people exaggerate. For the record while I agree with the general points those two guys are making I think they're both out of line with the "cash grab" bits.

The thing about the difficulty is that the difference is quite profound -- no exaggeration -- when compared to the real world tables. Tales of Arabian Nights, Funhouse, Theatre of Magic, Twilight Zone. Try to track down one of those and see for yourself. There's something really unpleasant about going from Pinball Arcade to real world and then back again with those tables. It's kind of insulting and Rudi is spot on with the "family mode" criticism.

18. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Are you finally going to stop all your whining and bitching? Jesus Christ go outside once in a while.

19. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009

20. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    This is true. But I think that complainng all the time just wastes your time my man, if this compilation leaves such a bad taste in your mouth you'll be better just not playing/buying it at all right?

I for one stopped caring about the realism, its for sure way too easy and thats the main reason I like other ios pinball games more like Last Gladiators and Crystal Caliburn but it is what it is, its not a crash grab its just toned down in difficulty.

Pinball is fairly niche and maybe Farsight tought having a brutal real world difficulty would sway away Customers or make them leave tons of one star reviews.

The complainers make fair points but I think those points have been made over and over on this thread to the point in which is the only thing you read here.