Pinball Breaker Forever (by XperimentalZ Games) Needs Beta Testers!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    If someone has an idea for a clearer terminology I'm all hears! Also still interested about knowing what people imagined when trying to figure out what it was, because it could yield to interesting and feasible ideas. Feedback loop coming full circle FTW.

2. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    #62 Doom, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    I wouldn't call the various bumpers and targets mini or side games. They are features of the game and game play.
    My interpretation of mini games in pinball are actual side tables off the main table that are activated (in pinball) by hitting a sequence of bumpers or unlocking a path that takes the ball to that "side table" or "mini game". You play the ball on this table until it drains back to the main table. So when you first said there were mini games I was actually trying to shoot my ball in the side holes when they would scroll down ( the empty target slots) thinking the ball would roll thru to another table.
    Not sure that something like this is actually needed in the game but it might be cool to experiment..
    My top score so far is 1167 btw

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Just submitted the next alpha build. In principle it should go through the review process quickly!

--------

In this iteration, we're pushing visuals in several way:

- Added an explosion system when destroying the blocks
    - Added 'monster' personalities to blocks
    - Added a 'protect your city from invaders' thematic
    - Added shake effects and ball trail

Also:
    - Added more room for controls on narrow and longer screens
    - Increased gravity
    - Combos now score points

We haven't touched the score system yet because that will be the main focus of our next iteration along with a big pass on side-tracks gameplay

4. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Nice I cant' wait to try out this update

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    And it's up!

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I have it and have been playing for a few minutes. I'll have more time later. Just one thing. Did you intend to have such a huge area open at the bottom of the screen under the flippers. I'm talking an entire inch or more. It's a huge gap. It seems way off.

The bricks having monster personalities. I freaken LOVE it! Awesome! More of this please! Whoever thought this up is awesome! Definitely expand on this!

Also the ball seems much much better. I like the gravity you added to the ball. Thank you! It feels much much better!

That gap though at the bottom under the flippers is so huge. It feels like it's a resolution problem. That's how huge it is. It's off putting to the point I've mentioned it twice. Lol

Billy

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    We moved the board on some devices to give more room for controls, but we might have messed up something and created a bug. You could email me a screenshot?

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Bug!

During a game just now there was a row of dark grey blocks. The ball got stopped and stuck on top of them and didn't move. I had to end the game. The ball wouldn't move.

Billy

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Sure. What addy would you like it sent to? I'm getting ready to go out but I can do it in a few hours if that's ok.

I'm using the IPhone 6 running iOS 9.2.1

Billy

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    info[at]xperimentalzgames.com

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Done!

If I get that ball stuck issue to happen again I'll send that as well. Check your inbox.

Billy

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks and don't worry about the ball stuck, it's known. We'll have to put a safeguard at some point, like warping the ball if it hangs for too long on gray blocks.

13. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I've just been trying the new update and I've not had the ball get stuck yet. I do agree that I have a lot of space at the bottom of my screen now I'm using 5s on ios 9.2.1 ive not tried it on my ipad mini or 6s plus. I can send a screen shot if LordShad0wz hasn't already.

I love the new gravity and it feels much better now and I like the brick effects too.

I'll keep playing it more and if I find any other bugs I'll report back

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    So got the pic and there's no bug. We added that room for for fingers comfort (I used to get cramps when playing on iPod 6). So:

- If everyone think it's too much space, we can reduce the gap
    - If opinions are mixed and some people like the way it is now, we can make it a option.

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I'll just have to get used to it.

Billy

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #76 LordShad0wz, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    I've been playing the new build. I love the direction this is going. I really do. I can't wait until a few builds from now when things really get popping.

I really really love the gravity on the ball now. I love the monsterized bricks.

I'm starting to get used to the gap. In all honesty it does give you good room for your fingers.

Seriously when this game is released its going to kick ass. Hell its an alpha and it's in my favorites folder already lol

I have a feature request actually. Maybe something to think about. I don't know how it would effect game balance. Would it be possible that if we activate and hold the flipper so the ball stops, it could charge the ball so when we hit it the ball would launch harder and faster? The longer the ball is held against the flipper the higher the speed. You could call it ball charging or something like that. What do you think?

Billy

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm really excited myself about the current state of the game! In preparation of the next build, we've just started implementing 6 new types of side track skill shots or mini-game or whatever hehe...

For the bottom gap, in any case it will be trivial to adjust. In doubt it will be easy to make it an gradable option.

For the ball charging, that's very interesting. My concern is that it could change the nature of the game too deeply but I will definitely think about it! If it's tossed aside, it could be part of a future table as we try to come up with variations on gameplay. An 'armed' flipper would sure be the kind of thing cool to upgrade in the shop.

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Here's the list of new side-track skill shots that we're preparing for the new build:

1- Laser Shot: hitting a target button will fire a laser horizontally, destroying all blocks in its path
    2- Color Shot: hitting a colored target to set it's color to a color on the board, then hitting the target button will destroy all blocks of the same color on the screen.
    3- Avoid the X: a series of targets will appear, some to hit, some to avoid. Hitting the wrong target will push the mini-game down the screen. Hitting all 'right' targets will give some end-game bonus.
    4- Series of 3: a simple series of 3 targets. Hitting them all will raise your multiplier.
    5- Timed targets: A series of 4 targets will appear. Only one will 'open' at the time, the other being protected by a glass. After some time, the 'open' target will rotate. End-game bonus on completion.
    6- Rotors shot: sending the ball on rotors will make them spin. The more that spins, the more it will yield base score.

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    We've just submitted what could be the last alpha build (the first beta build will include shop upgrades and a few other features).

- Added 6 new types of skill shots mini-games
    - Revamped the score system to include a base score, and end game bonus, a current ball multiplier and end game multiplier
    - Made another pass on visuals like backgrounds, side track lights, new font, various animations and lots other tweaks and polish
    - Made a pass on sound effects
    - Revisited the difficulty progression, displaying more types of block formations earlier and increased the drop-on-ball-drain after 4 mins of game time

[​IMG]

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Alpha update has dropped people lets do this!

I just started playing. I like the added background effects.

Billy