Universal PINBALL TRISTAN (by Little Wing)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fujibayashi, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Was looking forward to this, but framerate is completely unplayable on ipod 3g. Rebooted, did everything, no go. :(

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    The more I play this, the better it reveals itself to be. I'm really in awe. I guess the traditionalism of the design could be considered a strength as this is truly an excellently laid out table.

I can never shake the device and hit a flipper simultaneously quick enough to keep the ball from draining. AAARGH! I bet it is easier on an iPad. I know this has to be just magnificent on an iPad 2. So jealous. I think it is high time I sold one of these extra kidneys of mine.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #23 bigrand1, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    I agree with the above comment. Compared to other pinballs here on the IOS, this looks really bland, simple-simon, and primitive regardless of the kudos some are giving it here for the physics, IMO, so I'm gonna definitely pass on this one.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ever heard the expression "looks can be deceiving"? ;)

5. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    It's nice to see this game come out for iPhone. Pretty awesome having the great video pinball pioneers Pinball Dreams and Tristan side by side. :D

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Aw, I would hate for anyone to pass on it for anything that I said. Sure it has a pretty basic visual design but if you like pinball at all then this is well worth experiencing for $2.

7. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I think that is my problem too....everything is in slow-motion on my iPhone4, but fine on my iPad.

8. Cowboyman381

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Unfortunately that didn't help either....strange.....won't play smooth on either iPhone4 I have tried it on....but perfect on my iPad.......Never had this problem before.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    What iOS version are you on? Jailbroken?

10. Cowboyman381

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I have tried it on AT&T iPhone4 version 4.2.1....not jailbroken.

And a Verizon iPhone4 version 4.2.7...not jailbroken.

Do you think that could be the problem ?

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am not finding it to be bland at all but that will be a matter of opinion I guess. I think this pinball game offers a very clean uncluttered board which allows for super smooth play.

Overall I think this ia a very polished game.

12. Cowboyman381

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I agree, you can get to many things on a pinball board....and then you can't really see what exactly you're doing.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Potentially. I'm on 4.3.3.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    No frills, but very accurate physics, especially with ball catching - it feels very natural. The bumpers are perhaps just a bit anemic for my taste - reminds me of the original ones that they toned down.

But, color me impressed. For overall fun, I think I'll still turn to Slayer or War, but for a sim, this is right up there with Last Gladiators for a fraction of the cost.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    No, no, no. It's just a matter of personal preference. I just don't enjoy simple, open tables like this. I'd rather play War Pinball-types. There's so many pinballs I enloy on the IOS here and own a bunch of em. I grew up with wooden tables, old-fashioned open basic pinballs and that's one kind of nostalgia I don't enjoy anymore. I like the newer ones with all kinds of things to do, bells and whistles if you will. More complex. That's all. Simple as that.

16. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Simplicity is key and this pinball game is perfection! Thanks for bringin this to my attention! I probably would have missed out on this gem. :)

17. Cowboyman381

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I'm updating the AT&T one right now....I hadn't updated it since I got the Verizon model since I don't use it for phone calls anymore....I'll let you know what happens.

18. Cowboyman381

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I am VERY happy to report that it fixed it !....Works perfect now :)

I wouldn't have thought being behind one update would make such a huge difference !.....The only update I was behind on the Verizon phone was that last one where it changed the location data storage....must have changed a little more than just that !

Thanks for helping me out on this ! :)

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Echoing other positive impressions in this thread. Really nice game, particularly if you enjoy the less frills style of pinball. About the only negative I can think of is there is just the one table - but this peculiar stinginess seems to be part and parcel of most other pinball offerings on the app store for some reason, and no reflection on the game itself. At the price and being universal though, can't complain too much. About the only reason to not get this is if you don't like pinball.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Glad to hear it!