Pirate Legends TD ($3.99 > FREE)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Gunlock, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Any game loaded with more content that requires real money than in game money, is freemium.

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    So Warhammer Quest is freemium?

3. sdiggbot

sdiggbot Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Canada
    If you define freemium as a game that has a impassable paywall - this game isn't freemium.

unless it has vastly changed from when I bought the game for 99c months ago...You do not need to spend a SINGLE CENT to complete this game in its entirety.

4. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    Yes. So is every gameloft title, even the $7 ones.

5. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Your definition of a Freemium game is any game with an IAP. That includes Kingdom Rush games and Frieldrunners 2 and many other awesome paid games which are much more expensive than Pirate Legends!

That logic is completely flawed. If a player can play a game fully through, without spending money on IAP or grinding currency, like you can in PL, KR & FR2 then you can't start knocking the play experience and calling it a bad Freemium game. Some of the best games in the genre and on iOS are like this and people like that pay model.

In all these games you can choose to buy more weaponry if you want but you don't have to to complete the game.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    #26 Drummerboycroy, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    A game wherein you can use IAPs to progress at a much quicker pace against other competitors but do not necessarily need the IAPs is PTW or Pay-to-Win. Numerous examples abound, think of any game that has MP and IAPs.

A game that is "Free," but has what could be (relatively objectively) defined as "paywalls," or points within the game that are impassable without spending money, is usually known as Freemium. Not all freemiums are created equal, and developers obviously need to eat, so the knee-jerk wailing against them is a bit sad. A great example of a decent freemium would be Bullettime HD-Kiloo, or frankly anything by Kiloo.

A game that has a price tag but also contains items relatively less attainable or outright unattainable without the expenditure of "real world money" is known as Paidmium, unless said unattainables are DLC like maps, etc., which usually get a pass. IW:2013 is arguably the poster child for laughably paidmium, while TWD-Telltale is a great example of a paid game with IAPs that is NOT Paidmium.

It always amuses me when people complain about the balancing in Paidmium games... uhm, yeah, wasn't it obvious when you downloaded it and saw the IAPs? :rolleyes:

Freemium isn't remotely as bad as Paidmium on it's worst day, and PTW only represents certain players with specific end-goals, so yeah.

tl;dr: PL:TD is currently free, so I'm not sure why people are even arguing about pay models. :p;):D

DBC

7. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    KR and FR are great examples of not needing IAP or shoving them in your face every second. Apocalypse max has IAP and it's not shoved in your face every second or needed. This pirate game is greedy, big surprise there.

8. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Not sure if I can agree with you. If I were a person knowing neither those "great examples" nor PL:TD and going with your logic, I'd assume ALL of these games were "obvious greedy freemiums".

Your freemium definition is too broad and the way you use it is rather subjective.

9. mr_wexer

Mar 6, 2011
    @Drummerboycroy Excellent post thanks for clearing all that up. I had no idea there were that many nuances between the different pay models. Good to know.

My final though Pirate Legends TD is an awesome game, play it if you like TD game. :)

10. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    I don't use logic. This is iOS gaming, there is no room for it.

11. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Nah, your logic is just subjective. How can one survive on the Internet with no logics anyway, where even grammatical errors are treated like rape? :p

12. Turmoil

Turmoil Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Free again

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Pirate Legends TD is an awesome game ruined by poor decisions by the Dev (the no sale soon then going on sale in a few days), as well as multiple in game currency. But truth be told, I finished the game, in hard mode, without having the need to purchase any iAP. I did, however, use a few power ups from my in game earned currency. Maybe if I try harder I would have cleared it without, but I just wanted to finish the damn game that time. :D

14. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    bump

free again bump old thread for comments/info etc

15. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    agree on iaps...

16. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    great, shows that iaps are really not needed if your a gamer ;)

17. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Got this one a while back when it went free.

18. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    yes def worth the free download

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Free again!

20. mr_wexer

Mar 6, 2011