iPad Pixel Kingdom

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I don't have the paladin, but I can tell you the berserker is pretty awesome, expensive but awesome. Pair with a cleric for an unstoppable wrecking machine.

2. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Thank you.

I'm going to wait for a few more opinions because either is the same expensive price. I haven't up'd my cleric level which gives me pause, yet I don't think it would take me much time to do it...too many choices!

3. Ponycakes

Ponycakes Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm definitely on board with this one. I've not felt the need to buy IAP at all just to progress, but will by giving this dev some of my money anyway. They've earned it.

4. JGary321

JGary321 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Anyone else notice that the units in the top lane NEVER take the enemy life when they reach the end? They always just disappear. Every time.

Units in the bottom lane seem to always work, but the middle lane seems 50/50 too.

Anyone else notice this problem?

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Another is:
    fwwff for 5000 gold

6. Xilent Rain

Xilent Rain Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Student
    Here
    I've been noticing this too. Sometimes it seems like victory arrives before the counter goes all the way down as well though too.
    I may just not be paying attention though

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah there's definitely something weird going on there. I hadn't noticed the specific lane issues but now that you mention it, the top one never does seem to do any damage.

8. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
  9. Elenex

Elenex Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Can you grind for gems or are we only going to obtai. A limited amount?

10. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm enjoying this too.
    Not felt need to buy IAP but now want to as have enjoyed myself.

There are a few bugs that I hope will be sorted, but so far this is great and not a grind at all.

I'm estimating 5 or 6 gems from normal play in maybe just over an hour or so.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I have not gotten any from replaying waves, but I don't think it's necessarily finite. The stages just seem to keep going and I'm not sure there's a limit. I expected 100 but I'm on 125 or so normal now. Also, it's worth noting that just about every stage past 100 yields a gem. Now it's possible you might be able to grind. I haven't gotten any gems from replaying, but I haven't tried all that much yet. It's still possible that gems are just more rare for previously completed stages.

12. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    I had a chance to test a few more units out.

The pirate drops a bomb in the path behind him. I think this makes him relatively less useful than if he tosses the bombs ahead. It doesn't help his damage or survivability much. I couldn't determine if the bombs drop at a distance interval or time interval.

The paladin, his cost is pretty high for his stats. Getting his gear allows him to shoot a cross ahead of him and it seems to occur 100% of the time. This makes him a good unit for clearing enemies that end up clumped up ahead of you which is generally what occurs in the arena due to some enemy configurations and overall units being single target and weak. His cost is 40 so that makes him a bit more costly to deploy than the knight.

I haven't tested out the berserker but given the stats and description. I would say the paladin is slightly better. They cost the same but the berserker has lower overall stats. The paladin is more defensive with a heal while the berserker innately starts with a semi AoE (based upon the description).

The druid is like a ranged unit that hits all units in the lane. There seems to be two problems with using this unit. The first is that his attack is really weak. Other melee units like the champion and paladin end up having the same effect, lane damage, with a lot more ATK. Additionally, like any ranged unit he has a specific distance where he starts to fire which means he doesn't utilize his advantage fully.

I've cleared up to 250 arena after which I got bored and stopped. My main units right now are the warrior (lv 3), knight (lv 8), and champion (lv 3). The warrior is a solid 5 deploy unit that allows me time to build up 20 points to deploy the knight which will clear the lane. The champion is used mainly in the arena. There are times where the knight's damage isn't enough and enemies gradually pile up. This is when the champion is needed to clear those enemies with his lane damage.

In regards to using the cleric and healing, paying an addition 15 deploy to place out a healer doesn't seem worthwhile unless the cost of the unit is higher than the healer himself. However my knights are leveled up sufficiently that it's rare that he will die. If he does have troubles, then my healer is probably not going to be strong enough to keep him alive. Or in most cases, the knight himself will be too weak to clear the enemies that end up piling on due to him not killing the enemies quickly enough.

13. Elenex

Elenex Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I decided to buy the paladin and I'm happy with it. Paired with the light bringer and lvl 3 they will clear lanes. Took me to 264 arena. Unlocked the gladiator but can find his item.

14. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    On the last few units:

The bard is pretty bad, it doesn't attack at all and only boosts units that pass by it. This might still be useable except for the fact that he walks about as fast as every other unit. Since he doesn't have an attack he also never stops, at least the one time I observed him.

The engineer, you push him while he's out and he'll turn into a turret that stays put and fires at enemies that get close. It appears to have an attack range similar to other range attacker's distance.

The viking has a one use lane stun. His overall stats actually aren't that bad. They scale similarly to a warrior at double the rate while costing double the deploy points, which is good.

The necromancer could be interesting as a unit however he suffers from the issue of having ranged attack stats. Instead of attacking he'll summon out a skeleton that will block attacks while also attacking. However the skeleton appears to be pretty weak, so I'm assuming it follows the necromancer's stats. I did not get a chance to test it with a chaos demon.

The ninja actually has one of the better stat progression for a ranged unit. It also attacks in a cone which seems to indicate that it hits enemies in rows above and below where it is deployed. However it won't attack those enemies in those rows directly, only as a result of attacking something else in it's current row.

Overall the game is a good start, however there are some issues that are not the result of bugs. The classic mode does not appear to ramp up in difficulty if the player focuses on leveling up a single melee unit. My knights could clear most rows of enemies up to level 120.

The enemy's stage hp? never grows higher than 100. This negates the usefulness of high deploy cost units like the necromancer and champion. By the time I could safely summon one of those, the stage hp was usually much less than the 60 or 80 needed to deploy those stronger units. I would have loved to see the stage hp grow as the stage level increased.

The dragons do not appear to be tied to any rewards other than an achievement which was sorely disappointing. I would have liked to see them tied to the holy rings somehow or perhaps another class unlock.

The units need a rebalancing. Melee units have the best of both worlds, high damage and high hp when compared to a ranged unit of similar cost. This difference just gets higher and higher once the units themselves are leveled up. This should not have been the case. I would think balancing them such that ranged had high damage low hp while melee had high hp low damage would have been better. In the case that ranged meets up with ranged, they would end up killing each other off since they both will toss out a projectile which should both hit. This would task the player with at least utilizing both melee and ranged in combination in order to progress.

Individual units also need to be rebalanced. The champion essentially has a better ranged attack than the ranged attackers right now. The paladin with a weapon seems to have the same issue.

The arena should probably be the game mode that rewards gems. It gets more difficult than the regular stages with zero reason to actually play the mode other than to get the gladiator unlocked. No dragons can spawn there from what I can see and no treasure chests will spawn between waves.

Not a bad start for a game, however sorely in need of some tweaking.

15. stromstock

stromstock Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Freelance writer for tech magazines. Master of pup
    Kiel, Germany
    Seems to have vanished from the App Store? Any idea why?

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's still in my purchase history. If I had to guess, I'd say they pulled it from the storefront until they can fix the IAP not working issues a few people have reported. No idea though really...

17. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    The game is bak on iTunes, the IAP is fixed, an the lane bugs are fixed. The developer has really listened to feedback ad continues to update the game. I'm a big fan and encourage everyone to give it a try.

Here is a code for the Dragoon unit: Fire Fire Fire Thunder Fire.

18. stromstock

stromstock Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Freelance writer for tech magazines. Master of pup
    Kiel, Germany
    Gahhhh! Ads. Horribble annoying ads. Evil update.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I didn't even get far enough to find them. The update erased all my progress, so it's instadelete and done. Moving on...

20. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #60 m44, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I'm only seeing the ads on the main screen and thankfully not during game play. Did anybody buy IAP? (I'm wondering if spending a dollar or two on gems will get rid of the ads?).