iPad Pixel Quest RPG - Retro Looking Sandbox RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mmztech, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok it's to grind and not enough gold to get anything but spells and health. Getting diamonds is a pain because its a percentage you will get it or not

2. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    No the skeleton isn't hard. I've had my butt kicked by wolves, but the skeleton only has like 10 HP so it's pretty easy.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    The wolves and snakes are easy

4. Chaos_Eternal

Chaos_Eternal New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Looks fun, there should be an iPad version. :)

5. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Having a blast!

I'm glad I picked this game up. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I noticed that both times I have died, so far, that my health suddenly showed 99/25(25 is my max health) after the first death. Then it said 98/25 after the next death. Is there a reason the number dwindles after death? Is it a max of 100 deaths for a character or something?

6. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    It's from Zelda II. The field battle music, except it uses midi piano.

The animations for the walking are super lazy, though :\ kind of lame especially seeing as there's only one playable character.

7. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    I asked yesterday if this game was done in Cocos2D. I suspect it is so that is really cool. I recognise some of the tilesets from free and open collections and they are used really well. There's a nice swag of original art in there, too.

I think this was .99c well spent to support an indie developer and hope they produce more. It is also really inspiring for me as I will shortly go back to my own game project and get focused.

I like the RPG world supported by the grinding mechanic. I got killed in the dungeon after 2 hours of play and a bit of grinding, but was respawned in the fountain with most of my assets. I have noticed it is easy to "game" the spinner to rig the outcome you want but it is tricky. The card based system
    mixes it up a bit and adds interest to the skills and abilities.

Overall I like this - it's cheap and cheerful, the sandbox world means lots of exploring and most of all, fun...

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I must point out one issue that's become apparent after more play: the combat appears to have no variance to it at all. At the minimum there should be chance to miss and chance to critically hit. Without that, combat is starting to feel bland and predictable.

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Or you could tap the wheel again when it starts slowing down if it looks like it isn't going to land where you want it. With the exception of combat win wheels, you can spin the rest any direction you like and start spinning again if it is going to fail or go somewhere you don't want it.

So Gold pick your way into 5 ores - sell for 40g. Rinse and repeat and you can get enough gold to do what you want and then farm diamonds.

10. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    There is a critical value, but no one has got it yet. This game doesn't hand it out
    quickly. If you touch the stats for the hero (the head icon) it shows Attack, Defense,
    Speed and Critical status. You will probably get Critical skill after a few quests.
    I know what the rings do now, too....

11. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    While I LOL'd at this comment, I think this should be one of the first few responses (at least in AppStore reviews). Very hard to tell if game is good when people say "I like it but you can only be Mage" & similar.
    Has dev responded that they will be updating?

I'm getting this for the following reasons:
    Someone said it was like Angband.
    It's only 7.4 mb
    Gabrien said it was good.
    IMO retro RPG's can be better (but not a fan of JRPG's, which I think of as 'menu repetition' RSI-causing games) than newer 'kill the dogs in 3d to up a skill'.
    I LOL'd by whoever said its better than SKYRIM.

Sidenote -- I'm a BG fan of DungeonRaid & seem to like Dungelot (*more than it deserves). I'd like to see a true Rogue-like, or a great port, rather than these gimmicky 'runner' or TD game thingies. Also surprised how much I'm annoyed by ad-revenue driven 'freemiun' games... I guess dev work is easier w/those?

Lastly -- whoever can make a 1000 blank white cards game for IOS will get my $$$. But must be asynch play & allow ratings/reviews for cards/decks.

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    After getting to the point where you have to fight the tree spirit. I would say that this game is more of a puzzle than an rpg. There is no combat variation and to beat dungeons you use certain spell combos or stock up on a lot of potions which isn't cost efficient.

I read the instructions again and it even states that you need certain items to beat certain enemies.

13. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    Why does it have to be "cost efficient"?! We are talking about a game here where you need to fight monsters, not a Taylorised time and motion study! ;)

Needing certain items to beat certain enemies is like reality. It's the yak shaving you do to live. This game does not supply instant gratification. You have to do things to achieve tthings. It's an open world, so you basically follow your own path. I like it... The crafting takes a long time, but once I got a scythe, I made enough gold to mine a huge pile of ore and gems. I don't need sell these now. I am looking for the place to craft magic items etc. This is fun...

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    As of the point I had gotten to, it was not open world. It was fairly linear. You couldn't just roam around, you had to do quest progression to get to new areas. The combat is a study of cost efficient since there is no chance involved. I can see later down the road crit chance playing a vital role in killing something, but it didn't that far in.

15. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    Hmm, now I need help. I have completed 3 tasks and am now on my fourth.
    I have all the money I need and can harvest and sell herbs and forge ingots.
    I have killed the rats, slayed undead knight and rescued the merchant. I have visitied
    the haunted house and am now up to killing the tree with the orb. Now I have an axe
    and have chopped down a few trees, to find the woman who tells me who has the orb
    and I found the thiefs lair. But now I cannot open the lair as it is locked. I cannot find
    any more trees to chop. I have been to the little jetty and basically everywhere. There
    are 3 locks I cannot open - the house in town, the west gate of the town and the lair.

Any advice would be helpful - the tree that can be cut are a slightly different colour to the
    blocking ones, but I have been through the current environment a few times and can't find anymore obvious routes.

16. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    There's a thief left of the quest giver lady, next to the water. After killing him I've received a bag containing a thing that looks like a key. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet it's the key to the thieves' hideout.

17. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks - I do not know how I missed that. On with the quest....

18. saladfork

saladfork Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Web Engineer
    I would enjoy this game much more if it was faster. I feel like there are constant pauses to "load", waiting for the wheels to spin, etc. I'm "only" on an iPhone 4 but I think the art assets shouldn't be much of a problem.

I like the idea of the game and the simplicity is refreshing. It's just a bit tedious to play through all the waiting for very predictable outcomes.

19. SuperCaptain

SuperCaptain Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Game Impressions

Picked it up yesterday and loving it so far, very old school. For those complaining about it being grindy, a few recommendations:

Killing mobs is NOT an efficient way to get gold. To start I recommend buying the gold pickaxe for 10 and going to the mine to the east. You can continuously click on the wheel until you land on gold ore. You can convert the 10g on the pickaxe to 20g.

Once you're in a good gold position, start buying the lower level pickaxe and getting gems from the normal nodes at a cost of 1g per gem (1 low level pickaxe costs 10g and can be converted into 10 gems).

Once you train herbalism and get the permission slip to go south of the first zone, buy as many herb farming tools as possible and start converting that to gold. Once you get the hang of it you can convert the 30g for the tool into 150g by getting the circular whirlwind looking item. I'm now running around 50 fireballs, 30 frost, 20 poison and a few reflects which I don't use. This is a very efficient way to get gold (probably at least 2000 per hour).

20. SuperCaptain

SuperCaptain Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Two questions for anyone past the tree spirit:

1) Have you figured out a way to craft? I have plenty of materials but haven't found a place to convert them into anything useful.

2) Is the undead threat event bugged? I've killed all the zombies in the zone and both the dungeon and the house are still locked, and the knight is blocking my movement south. I heard this was a bug from previous versions that has not been fixed but wanted to confirm.