Universal Pizza Vs. Skeletons - (by Riverman Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 15, 2012.

1. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Hallelujah

2. riverman_jacob

riverman_jacob Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    @Sanuku Thanks for posting this? Just curious, are there sound effects when you play on the actual device? Usually there's a lot more crunching sounds, haha!

Jacob

3. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

No seriously it does work :) trust me

But hey at least there is a Lite version so you can try before you buy so alls good

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #45 GoofyJmaster., Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking/saying.

I mean should we really kill the thread with "it has only has tilt, no buy" BS. Just do what I do when I ask about Game Center support, ask and bounce! Well, this is what I usually try to do. Sometimes I get pulled back in and have to respond to comments.

*slightly modified the quote!

5. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Very well put... should always give er' a try first..

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Plus, there are sooo many platformers coming out this week, so one with tilt controls shouldn't piss you off too much. But yeah, this game does look amazing, so I can understand some of the frustration. ;)

7. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I remember the whole tilt-control debate on Space-Tripper. THe dev there was very convinced about tilt controls, and honestly they were actually very good. But he added touch controls anyways, and that was a very good alternative as well. If this game is anything like Bounce-on, which I preferred with tilt, but my friends preferred touch, touch controls might not be all that bad. But will get back after giving the game a run.

8. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    this looks... interesting to say the least ._.

9. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    I'm going to go ahead and take that as a compliment! :)

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm totally getting a Rock of Ages vibe. Love it!

11. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    It does look a bit like the kind of thing Ace Team might do if they went into iOS development. I'm a little wary of the 'Oh man, we so crazy, you never saw something so crazy' school of art design, to be honest - too many devs seem to think weirdness for its own sake is automatically cool, sometimes. But there's something about this that catches my eye all the same. Definitely planning to buy once it's available for me.

12. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Only 3 hours to end the Tilt drama trying the LITE.... common time roll faster

13. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Oh man, you've hit on one of my favorite topics: style and aesthetics in games!

So if you look at Riverman's library of titles, we run the range from not crazy at all (Cash Cow) to medium crazy (Deathfall) to pretty darn crazy (Pizza Vs. Skeletons.) I never make things crazy for crazy sake. What I try to do is develop an art style that reflects the plot and the gameplay. In Cash Cow the gameplay was mostly upbeat and relaxing, so I went with a cheery color palette and soft shapes. Deathfall is sort of a meditative, zone-out game with dark characters and objects, so I tried to make everything look like an antique drawing from the middle ages. With Pizza, I drew upon influences like Dr. Seuss and Van Gogh to give the game a surreal but cartoony vibe.

Ok, enough of the artsy-fartsy babble. I love this stuff!

14. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Art design is hugely important for me, and I'll quite often take a so-so game where the creators have actually tried to say something different with their visuals over a game where the mechanics of play work beautifully but the art looks more or less the same as a hundred other titles on the App Store (or Android Market, or PC/console download service or whatever). Dunno exactly how well I would judge you've accomodated the influences you were working with until I play the thing, but I think from the trailer you certainly seem to have got some of the way there, as much as I'm any judge. Which would be why I'm interested. :)

15. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    @EightRooks I'm eager to hear what you think! Just to be clear though I'm not attempting to *copy* any of those influences, just project some of their zany feel into the art. Also, as I mentioned on the TouchArcade podcast, Pizza Vs. Skeletons really felt like coming home for me, because when I draw for fun, I draw stuff that looks like Pizza Vs. Skeletons! So this one really "comes from the heart" to use a cheesy phrase.

Jacob

16. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Yeah, I meant 'accomodated' as in worked how you thought about them into what you were trying to do. Accomodated in spirit, not simply copy and pasted them. ;) I'm in the UK, though, so the game's still a few hours away for me.

17. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Tilt vs touch bla bla.... either way, this game rocks! I'm only about 15-20mins in, but what I've played so far, I've loved. I'm happy to report that Pizza vs Skeletons is every bit as fun as it is utterly bonkers!

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I c wut u did thar.

Can't wait to pick this one up. Looks absolutely insane.

19. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010

Haha!!

I am absolutely thrilled that you are enjoying it!

-Jacob