Universal PKTBALL - Endless Arcade Smash Sport (by Laser Dog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes going to the claw game and then exiting very annoyingly forfeits all of your coins. There should definitely be a "are you sure you want to exit, you will lose all coins" warning.

What is the gold grabber? Sure, I can guess what it may do but zero explanation and $3.99, who's gonna buy that? Also, why does it just appear randomly? Why not make it an accessible IAP with a simple description of what it does.

As stated, no pause button.

I love this game but a couple things done come across as a little amateur to me.

"Clean freemium" is not some new mobile game model. In fact what is in place here is the exact same system that Crossy Road originated when it released.

Those are my small complaints and grievances, things that can be improved. I really love this game but it could use a couple basic improvements/fixes/tweaks.

Also as some have mentioned. The AI seems to make a certain amount of shots and then just blatantly misses one. The coding seems to be that way, so this to me could create a wall where skill is thrown out the window and your score depends on just keeping a volley going until the AI is "programmed" to miss a shot.

Anyways, I hope you guys consider these points. I'm a little concerned because your website says that you plan on moving away from mobile gaming after this to work on a console game. I just hope this brilliant game doesn't get neglected because it's only a simple update or two away from being a masterpiece imo.

Also, online multiplayer is an absolute no-brainer and it would really push this title to the next level.

Thanks!

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Agree about the gold claw iap. You already get 3 chances with the claw but can only keep one item. I believe that you will be able to keep all 3 pulls. Not sure tho. I may purchase it just to show support. If I do, I'll get back with the results.

3. LaserRob

LaserRob Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Again, thanks so much so the feedback guys. It's really appreciated. I'll try answer all points below:

1) Exiting the grabber and losing coins.
    Yeah, this is an oversight on our part. We need a "are you sure" dialog for sure.

2) Gold grabber.
    Yeah, something is missing there. This IAP makes the grabber half the price, meaning you can collect characters twice as fast.

3) Pause button.
    This is something we need to add. We just didn't think people would want to stop the action ;)

4) "Clean freemium"
    This not something we've created, it's something we've adopted and tried to add our own spin on it.

5) AI coding
    There is a bug that can happen every now and then at the moment that can make the AI just watch the ball go past, even if the ball is going very slowly. This is left over from the early days of development. We'll patch it asap.

6) Laser dog future
    We're not quite sure what we're going to do in the future. We're working on a PC/XBONE/PS4 version of HoPiKo at the moment, but we're already talking about big updates to pktball and even new mobile games. We'll just have to see.

Thanks!

Rob

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I actually quite like the AI bug. It is quite hard to hit a genuine winner with the fish ball, for example, so it's fun to see the opponent just stand stranded as the fish swims slowly away.

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #45 mr_bez, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks for the update, Rob. PC/console versionof HoPiKo sounds like a great call. That game deserves a wider audience.

PS. Just checked out the credits. I love that all the voices are done by you two and your families! :)

6. Zn37

Zn37 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Please add an IAP to remove continue pop up :(

7. LaserRob

Sep 26, 2015
    You can press and hold to speed the continue screen up for now :)

8. Elunix

Elunix Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Logged in for the first time in a while just to give a shoutout to the devs - this is such a blast. The amount of polish in the game is insane, gameplay is super fluid, and with all the different characters and courts + music there's creativity oozing all over the place. This is a gem and I'm happy not to have missed it.

As people have mentioned before me, something like a career mode of sorts for me to chase instead of just high scores would be awesome :) It's my personally grievance with arcade high score chasers...I'm really reaching here cause I'm so happy with what you guys have come up with, but I'd love another progression-based mode that I could sink my teeth into either after or alongside unlocking all of the characters.

Again, I'm just nitpicking - wonderful job!

9. LaserRob

Sep 26, 2015
    Thanks!!

We've got some pretty cool stuff planned for future updates. We're actually going to push a cheeky update really soon with some more "completionist" (is that a word?) things in there :)

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I wish we didn't have to swipe to try to control the direction of the ball.

I'd love it where I keep my finger just behind the character and at the point of contact if I moved slightly in a direction it would swing that way and if not it would hit straight.

I love the game. I really do. I purchased the pktbot to show my support.

Billy

11. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Does this game share progress across to other devices?

12. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, I thought the controls were a little bit janky at first but I was wrong. They work pretty sweetly. My high is around 240. Great game. I found myself going for angle blasts too often at the beginning. The key is to hit normal forward swiping non banking shots a lot and wait for the right time to go for ballistic banking shots. I have rlly good shot control now. Always get yourself back to the baseline ready for next. Lol, you probably already do all this or better.

13. MelonMasher

MelonMasher Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Petroleum Logistics Scheduler
    Texas
    Yes shares just fine between my iPhone and iPad

14. Zn37

Zn37 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Thank you for the tips. But I don't think that works for me. I just want to get premium game experience like you guys did before, no popup no optional ads, I'd like to pay for that.

15. Zn37

Zn37 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Yes but just unlocked characters.

16. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Laser Rob, did you catch the PG review. They mentioned as I did, online multiplayer. That would be amazing, but I understand it's easier said than done.

Something I think you can do though, which they mentioned, a career mode. I am
    OBSESSED with this game, and for me personally, any other game will be hard pressed to beat this game out for GOTY. I will still play this game, daily, for a long time to come, but, some depth would vastly improve the experience.

I love you guys and this game so much. I really only play PUK besides this but I really find this to be one of the greatest ios titles of all time. You reinvented PONG for the modern day and it deserves more credit than reinventing Frogger. I have already told every soul I know who plays ios games to play this immediately.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I kind of get where you're coming from but also, by asking them for an IAP to remove the continue button, your asking to pay for a competitive disadvantage.

I think it might be the first time I've heard anyone request that a dev adds "pay-to-lose" IAPs! :)

I have a minor niggle with the game. On more than one occasion, I've reached 200 coins then not been able to use the grabber machine straightaway. One time, I earned the coins in gameplay but when I died, I was given the option to purchase a character for cash but not shown the grabber until I played another round.

At one point I purchased a character and was given 500 coins, but couldn't use the grabber immediately. After I died and used it once, I still wasn't able to use it a second time until I'd played another round.

Finally, just now, I went over 200 coins because I completed a quest, taking me from 189 to 244 coins, but the screen still said "Just 11 coins to go" and didn't give me the grabber.

18. saidwafiq

saidwafiq Active Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I disagree. He's asking a better UX. Faster restart is good for this kind of game. I loved how they did in Hopiko but I know they aren't the same business. So an idea for this IAP could be an Extra Ball[permanent] without "Continue" screen popping all the time.

19. LaserRob

Sep 26, 2015
    These are all valid points and we'll both have a good think about how we can address them all :)

mr_bez, I agree that the grabber could be accessed easier when you have enough coins. We'll look into that!

20. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Congrats on getting Editor's Choice. I'm really enjoying the game. I liked Alone, this one might be better in a different way. I can see how this would appeal to a wider casual audience, so I wish you every success.

I looked in the character buy menu to see what I could buy to support you, I see mention of a gold grabber here (on Twitter said its sometimes at the end of games), you should definitely put this on the IAP screen and maybe even the grabber. I've played quite a lot of games but not seen the golden grabber option yet.

The way I would prefer the grabber to work: You press the grabber button, go to the grabber screen, THEN decide to put the money in or not. You can exit with no penalty, but if you have all the characters, you could decide to leave it. Just like in real life.

Is there iCloud save on this game? What data does it save?

Definitely need a pause button, and make it automatically pause if you loose focus. So if you get a battery low warning, or other app alert etc, right now it sort of freezes and you miss the shot. When you unpause have a count in.

Keep up the good work.