Universal Planar Conquest (by Shortbreak Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 4, 2016.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So what are the IAPs and how much do they go for? Are they themed bundles or do you literally need to buy additional units and sorcerers individually?

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    My hats off to u.. I guess I can tinker with the many many options to figure how to play properly but I guess I'll hold it off until they fix the tutorial..

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    It's fun to write those ;) nice to hear that you folks find them useful, thanks! Will keep on writing as my time allows.

City limit seems to be based on world size, but not sure. Will see when I start my next game. I almost always play with sound off. The music is okay/good, going by the half hour or so I played with sound. Sound effects I didn't notice much, but you can toggle them so they are there.

I don't think even the full tutorial will show you anything more than the basic ropes. The UI is easy enough to figure out. Just start with one Plane, a pre-made Sorcerer and a small world, and see how far you get. If you have questions, ask away. I'll try to answer.

I only saw that you can buy Sorcerers and Planes. Units come with the Race you play, nothing to buy there. Didn't look any further yet, not even at prices, the base game keeps me busy enough ;)

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As a big sucker I just went all in.

The IAPs are accessible there via the treasure chest icon on the Main Menu. They appeared to range from $2.99-$4.99, and add stuff like additional heroes, races, planes of existence, and even a couple of units. A few of the IAPs even overlapped, so you could get the orc hero and playable orc race via a special Orc IAP, or perhaps just get the race of orcs with a couple of other additional races in a Races IAP.

For $19.99 you can get all IAPs (that is in addition to the base $12.99).

All in all, over priced, to be sure, but a pretty clever take on Master of Magic like game play.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for giving details, LordGek.
    Well, I fundamentally disagree on the "overpriced". For a PC/Console game, noone would bat an eye at a 30/40€ pricetag. And it should be like that on iOS as well. But it indeed is a pretty high price for the way things - much to my chagrin - are on iOS, fully agree on that.

6. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Well, I am interested, so I guess I will hit that buy button soon but I still doubt.
    So how does combat works?

And in a few words : What is good about this game and what is not?

Thanks in advance!

7. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Just purchased as well. Nullzones enthusiasm is infectious, and i loved master of magic back in the day!

8. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Me too! I just couldn't let this pass. I've only had time to play 15 minutes but I'm really liking it so far. Can't wait to dig in and start trying things. I personally don't mind the fact that the tutorial is broken, I just like to figure things out for myself. Although a hefty manual would have been nice...

Thanks Nullzone for posting your impressions!

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Won my Summoner playthrough, and easily (well, expected on easiest difficulty ;) )
    Bought the whole expansion package, I wanted to try the Insects next.
    Decided to focus on unit enhancement, high income and expansion this time; fits their racial traits very well.
    Very nice attention to details: Insects have completely different buildings, fitting their theme: think Zerg, with things like Hatcheries.

10. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Lets do this - im going in!
    -as it seems like they fixed some of the stuff that the steam reviews was most negative about (eg UI).

To the combat question:
    The combat is awesome, if it anything like mom

Its Heroes of might and magic-style (enter a enemy tile - enter a combat instance with turn based + tile based combat). Just more deep due to more unit types, more skils an abilities, a lot of spells and summonings, heroes on the battlefield etc

11. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    As someone who has played neither Master of Magic nor Worlds of Magic but has bought this game I also wish to thank Nullzone for his enlightening posts/commentary.

While the in-game info screens are quite elaborate unfortunately they don't cover the myriad questions which come up while playing. Happily I find the Worlds of Magic manual (available here) not only very well written but very, very helpful.

12. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    This is the kind of game I bought my iPad Pro for. Not the tappers, the clickers, the endless F2P clones of Hero's Charge.

If you want to see more of this, you have to vote with your wallet. Don't compare the price to other iOS games. Compare the price to what you spend on entertainment and how much you get for your dollars.

13. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I'd like to see more of this in the form of some gameplay vids....;) Launch trailer is light and nothing else around at the mo..

14. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Thanks for the feedback on my question and the impressions of the game in general.
    Will probably dive in when I get home.

Great link to the manual of WoM.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #55 LordGek, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    I guess I'm in some sort of middle ground here. I appreciate paying a premium price for a premium game BUT I take issue with a $13 game, claiming 8 races, 7 planes, etc. in the description to have nearly half of that content as separate IAPs. The description needs to make clear "Start off with yada yada, but then you're free to expand your universe with much more additional content broken down into many fine IAPs. I mean, as an example take Yomi, a very pricey card battler but it laid its payment schemes right out there in the description.

Oh, as an odd side note, the fact that in options there is a separate button to turn off and on sound effects independent of music, leads me to believe the game was supposed to have sound effects. Hopefully they're already there and a little patch will re-enable them. Just watched a gameplay vid of the game's big brother (Worlds of Magic), and it definitely had at least basic sound effects.

16. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Well, you are 100% right and I think I am convinced. Bought also an ipad pro mostly for strategic games like Panzer Corps (+all expansions), WH Armageddon, Battle Academy (2), Pike and Shot ... the more expensive games.
    I am not that good in 4X games, too many choices confuse me sometimes but I will give this game a try.

17. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Agreed! I've only bought the 'base game' so far but I must say after 24 hrs. of mucking about (and now reading the excellent manual which I linked to above) that there is ENORMOUS amount of content here to enjoy without the necessity of adding even more game through the IAP (which I'm sure I will HAPPILY do sooner or later).

18. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Wait, there are no sound effects?

19. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
  20. doomtrader

doomtrader Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    game developer
    Poland
    Hi,

Planar Conquest developer here.

The tutorial bug has been already fixed and send to apple to review. I assume it will be available next week.

There are sounds in the game. Actually one of the designers spent quite long time sorting them out, however in one of the latest builds they were muted. So they are in the game, but with 0% on the volume. This also has been fixed and is waiting for review.

Sorry about that.