Universal Plants vs. Zombies 2 - (by PopCap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

A very good and valid Question and at the current point I don`t have an answer to you since I`m not that far into the Game so I will return to you as soon as I have an answer to you.

So far my guess would be that you might earn those if you manage to play through the Pyramid of Doom or on a different Way.

As soon as I have found it our I`ll let you know it.

2. Behnam

Behnam Well-Known Member

Really disappointed to see (or rather hear) that they reused lots of the original tunes.. I truely enjoyed the soundtrack from the first game, even listening to it from time to time. Just proves that this game is as soulless, as the company behind it!
    Well, I'm going back to George Fan's original creation!

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I hope most of this soft launch is for the server stability check at the front page article indicates. I feel like if they are testing out people's tendency to pay for things it will only get skewed. If people are downloading the game without any currency on the NZ account they won't be able to purchase any IAP. If there is a disproportionate amount of IAP then they will think the game is too easy or they need to tweak it.

So all the Kiwis for a day downloads might actually hurt the balancing they are doing right now.

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks for the update Sanuku, can't wait till this comes out.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

After spending six Hours with the current Build (1.0.226789) I can only tell you so far that it`s definitly not yet ready to launch Worldwide. The Game has crashed five times for me during my Playthrough and it was mainly while switching between the Menues or returning to the Main Menu.

If someones from PopCap or EA is reading this here and needs the Log Files from the Device it would be great if they would let us know where we should sent those.

Besides those usual issues I hadn`t had yet any other with the Game.

Edit:

Sorry forgot that some don`t know what the Pyramid of Doom is. Here is a Gameplay Trailer of the first Level.

The Pyramid of Doom does appear as soon as you play the first time through the first eleven Days.

6. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Installed size?

hey can anyone tell me the installed size? is it much more than the 42mb download size? and does it grow as you progress through it? thanks!

7. Mysticpete

Nov 26, 2012
    also, can anyone who is playing this tell me- does this game contain mini-games like the first one did. I loved the mini- games from the first one and hope this game also includes them..thanks in advance

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    51mb installed on i5

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yes it does grow a bit since the Game do indeed download some Files the first time you load it up from a Server.

The current Filesize is 51 MB but I assume that it might double since the current Textures are 100% not Full Retina so either the Final Build will grow or we will be able to download some HQ Full Retina Textures at a later point.

I`m glad to tell you that those mini-games are again in the Game and so far I have played two of those and really did enjoy them :)

10. Mysticpete

Nov 26, 2012
    I`m glad to tell you that those mini-games are again in the Game and so far I have played two of those and really did enjoy them :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying to me!
    So glad the mini-games are in this one too :)
    Are they similar/ add different ideas? dont tell me too much as to spoil the surprise

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    do you need an internet connection after the initial startup and download of additional assets or whatever they chit chat to the EA servers? Going on holiday soon and wanted to know if its worth making a canadian account to dl this and be able to play offline.

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Looks like there are no issues with regards to offline play!

Just completed the tutorial and the first level with no problems.

It was so worth finally creating a NZ account so I could get this. And I'm hoping with iCloud saves, I will have it synced with my main account, so when the full release hits, I can download that and go like crazy.

So far I haven't even seen Dave's van other than... Well, I won't spoil that other than saying that it creates an interesting plot device to get the game rolling.

13. andsoitgoes

Oh, it's not in Canada. Only New Zealand and Australia.

14. PigDevil

PigDevil Member

Jan 10, 2013
    pretty sure there are no alternatives... you HAVE to pay the 2 bucks for the plants...

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #75 L.Lawliet, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Played through about an hour and it's still pretty fun. I'd say I was really good at the original and this one is definitely more challenging. Probably to account for freemium.

Probably my favorite new thing that people may not like is the Plant Food. It lets EVERY plant use a special ability. I love experimenting with it and it seems pretty helpful when you're in a pinch. Toss it on sunflowers to get immediate groups of sun. Toss it on the pea pod and get a few seconds of machine gun fire. Best one is the potato mine. Toss it on them and they'll spit out two more mines randomly that are already armed.

I do hope there's those extra levels and features put into the main screen later as the first one had. There were a lot of extra quick play, mini games, and zen garden stuff to do after you exited the campaign. The game does feel longer because you can go through repeat levels and unlock doors. Though I think the ONLY thing you can buy with in game money is the super power up God moves.. which I don't care for at all.

16. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Yet the devs have said that EVEYTHING in the game should be unlock able with time and effort. So how do we account for that?

17. andsoitgoes

After the download, the install size is 177mb on the iPhone 5, 237mb on an iPad 4 (3 megs smaller than the first PvZ)

I am interested in hearing about the paid section. I was mediocre at the first one, but I beat it fully without too much fight.

I have no problem putting around $8 into it based on how awesome the first was assuming that $8 is not consumable.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the review L

It's funny how the initial "impressions" of this and "guesstimates" being made on this thread were harsh..

Yet all I see currently in the reviews on the AppStore are good comments and statements that this is better than the first. Who's right? One way to really find out I guess.

19. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    It looks like a lot of the items are permanent unlocks except for the gold.

20. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm enjoying it so far, and in fact I haven't really seen a "pay wall" of any kind, other than the fact that this game is far more challenging than the first one, in a good way. Of course the main reason it's so much harder is to encourage payment, but I am enjoying the decent challenge.