Universal Plasma Sky (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Volbard

Volbard Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I think those top two scores, above 90 million, are hacked and I'm going to get rid of them soon, unless you guys think there's really that much room for improvement in your scores.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Survival seems kind of broken since the update. If you don't get the right drops then enemies will build up to the point that its impossible to get some of the time drops without just taking the damage to get there. I think the lack of a delay with some of the groups is the main issue. It can get as bad as having 5 or so screens worth of enemies on there as the old ones keep lingering around. If I think about it I'll take some screen shots and post them tomorrow.

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    This happened before the update also. If you aren't getting the right drops at the right time, you won't be able to keep up with what is being thrown at you and the screen will become bogged down with too many enemies. The luck of the draw, my friend.

4. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I guess in the last version I was too good to notice. :p. Now I am terrible at this mode as things more often than not get overwhelming fast.

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    There is one part that is a little unbalanced. I will have to get the exact time of where it is. Overall, I am liking it since the update, but I don't know if I like the new sound effect for the time drop (which is not to be confused with the fact that I suggested it, just the noise in particular).

6. I got to the end of survival after my second game, so it can't be too hard. I kinda like a challenge, any easier, and it would be too easy for me. But it does seem kinda random how you do based on drops. Also, I can't just camp out at the bottom. Wonder what your high score is on survival, gotta check tonight if I can see it. Gonna play conquest game 4 tonight to see if I can top 7 mil, let's see what happens.

7. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL

Um, how could you get to the end of Survival mode... it's Endless!

The mode names are a bit confusing... Survival is a mostly original endless mode, Conquest is the fixed 80 levels with an ending, Hardcore is the entire Conquest mode plus it goes on endlessly after that and you get no life bar.

8. Too good to notice, hehe. :)

Day 4, thought I could get to 8 or 9 million since my first day scores were 2.7, 4, then 7 million with my icade joystick.

However, played two games, both in the 6.5 million range, so didn't quite get the improvement that I wanted. But we shall see in the next couple of days.

9. ombaudsman

ombaudsman Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Just found this post...
    Music reminds me AMIGA a little bit...

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    One could look at Survival mode as 'Hardcore' mode and Hardcore mode as 'Survival' mode. Survival mode is the most intense and is therefore the most hardcore, and Hardcore mode is one hit one kill, so in the most accurate sense of 'surviving' this mode can be seen as the true survival mode.

11. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Ok, axing those hacked scores!

All true, but hopefully the descriptions help. :)

12. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    This is definately one of the best games on iOS. I played a game on my cousins iCade and I must say that it did seem a little easier. I only scored 850,000, which is not half of my best, but it did seem a lite easier to play. Maybe it is just that you can see the screen as your finger does not block anything. But as I dont have the iCade I will be sticking to touch controls. Either way the game is very well made, very fun and one everyone should own. Also great that the Dev. Is here and is responding to all the ideas about the game.

13. duckee75

duckee75 Member

May 8, 2012
    #493 duckee75, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Just got an icade core today! my first run through on conquest mode I scored less than 3 million I think this is what I needed to get back into this game it really boosts the difficulty!

Just finished my third run on conquest with icade and scored over 10 million!

Survival mode + icade core is amazing!

14. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Whoa this game's great! I made the mistake of skimming the description when it first came out, and got the impression it was a 'dual-stick' shooter. This is the only non-Cave iOS shmup I've been able to play and it seems to have what the previous runner-up, Phoenix, didn't have, which is longevity.

I do have two questions. Is the only way to gain health the repair pickup? Also, I cannot quite figure out what the 7 blocks at the top signify, and what they do after they are filled.

15. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Glad you like the game!

I have a bit of explanation here: http://www.plasma-sky.com/help.html

In short, the repair pickup and not getting hit are the only ways to keep your ship healthy. The orange plasma you grab fills the big meter at the top of the screen, which in turn fills the inner pips. The more full pips you have, the more firepower you have, but it will drain over time.

16. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #496 SumoSplash, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Even though I have loved Survival mode since you first added it, I must admit John that I didn't think it would be this good. I had my reservations with the time limit, in that it would be too short. However, it is just about perfect. In fact, the only real flaw is that I don't play the other modes. The intensity and the constant influx of enemies really appeals to me with Survival, so much so that I find it hard to go back.

Speaking of, any info on those difficulty settings for Conquest mode? I am really looking forward to those, since it sounds like there will be added intensity with the increased difficulty. And I know we talked about this before, but did you say you had a fourth mode planned, or any other additions? Thanks John. If you need help with any testing, let me know.

17. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Glad you're digging Survival!

My current plan is to leave Conquest mode alone and make a new more difficult mode. It will re-use the old levels but add new enemies and generally increase the pace and difficulty, and also have some new levels. The new levels are what I'm working on now, they're taking me a long time to make because they're complicated. I don't think I can get away with adding any more meteor levels, unless I come up with a really cool new meteor. :)

I'll definitely appreciate some testing when I'm further along!

18. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    boss mode!

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Have you heard of a freeware SHUMP called Warning Forever? The twist was that it was basically boss rush, but the boss learned from your tactics and adapted. So if you focus on attacking its left side, next boss would have more armor on the left. Or if you got killed with lasers, next boss will have more lasers

Do you think something like the could work in Plasma Sky? It would be a cool take on the usual boss rush mode.

20. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    iCade support? 5 speeds to play with? OK, you convinced me to buy it.
    Thank you both Connector and Volbard for making this possible!

Theoretically you're right: only 8 directions and fixed speed are objective limits compared to touch control. Anyway there are other factors to consider, i.e. fingers obscuring (little) screen.

In my opinion is hard to define the best control for high score. Personally I prefer arcade joystick (more than joypad) for this kind of games. I don't know if I'll get best result, all I know is I'll get more fun :)

I'll let you know my choise next week, as iCade Core from Amazon UK is expected for monday.

Volbard have a look at Llamasoft (i.e. Gridrunner or Caverns of Minos) system: you can start from last 5 (or so) completed levels with best score/power. I kind of "snapshot".

Oh I changed my signature as well ;-)

Do you mean lag or what?

You can buy it (Core) for $30 from Amazon UK.