Platforms Unlimited by XperimentalZ Games. Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Dec 4, 2013.

?

So, You'll try Platforms Unlimited when it's out?

1. Yeah! Whatever paying model it has!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Only if it is paid (IAP does not matter to me)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Only if it is paid (without IAP)

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. Only if it is freemium (one form or another)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Not sure

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. No, sorry!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh and what about objectives to accomplish, a must?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Forgot about that

Uh, well personally I like the simplicity and focused approach, since it complements the minimalist gameplay and style. But in general, I think most would like a goal to try and accomplish so objectives would be a nice addition as well

3. Mary2124

Mary2124 Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Great game! It's really hard though. The controls are very responsive. In my opinion, objectives would be nice... I do like the dailies...maybe daily objectives to go with them? I personally would love some power ups.

4. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks! As long as it remains a 'fun tough' for people, we'll keep it this way.

Having cumulative objectives and currency gains used for power-up unlocks would help on that through by giving a sense of progression even when you get hammered by the game.

Will keep gathering your comments/opinions and post more about this later. Perhaps I'll set-up a poll on this thread too.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

My suggestion was instead of collection/equipping power ups, there could be like a power up roulette, that will randomly select a power up at certain intervals. And they could range from beneficial like slow motion to punishing like all platforms fall when you land on them.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow normally I'm rather good at these types of simple-yet-super-hard kinds of games but I can't master these jumps for the life of me!

But yeah I think power ups would be a good idea for added depth, but I'm not sure what they would be.

I think upgrades make more sense to me though for things like longer jumping distance, double jump, etc.

7. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Such a frantically fun game..and talk about addicting..first thought power ups would be good but leaning more towards the way it is now..or maybe two modes..with LBs for both.
    My only request would to be able to jump after letting my block just fall off a platform..this would allow for some tricky moves I think..
    Kamcord or the like would be pretty sweet as well.
    Kudos

8. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #28 XperimentalZ, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    In principle it already is like this but we could slightly tweak the time window when we can do it.

From the info gathered so far, the controls seem as tight as they ought to be. The difficulty seems to comes from the fact that this is a high precision game. The landing points are small and the learning curve has to do with getting a sense of how far the block is going to jump. It looks like there's more jumping liberty here than in The Impossible Game, so this might add to this 'guess jumping distance' difficulty.

Once acclimated, it is possible to consistently score 100-300 but yeah the learning curve is steep. Such a simple game yet so hard hehe.

That thought crossed me mind as well. Do players like to use this kind of videos sharing system?

9. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
  10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Not fair for others, you had a head start of almost a day :p

11. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    All right here's a potential list of upgrades to unlock (by collecting coins in-game and completing the daily levels).

The general idea at this point is to not have upgrades which completely change the balance of the game, thus there's only power-up upgrades on the list of suggestions so far.

UPGRADES

- Power-ups (unlock them with coins, then upgrade them)
    - Shield
    (can't be harmed by enemies for x secs)
    - Magnet
    (attracts coins for x secs)
    - Freezer
    (freezes platforms and enemies for x secs)
    - Score multiplier
    (boosts score for x sec)
    - Teleporter
    (falling will teleports the player back to the top, for x sec)
    - Bersek
    (collect enemies as if they were coins, for x sec)
    - Super coins
    (spawn coins of higher values)
    - Double Jump
    (allows double jump for x sec)

- Hero square Look
    - Trail Look

If the game turns out to be over-challenging, instead of adding permanent skills upgrades we could alter the difficulty curve. Right now, it starts at full swing right off the bat.

I'll follow-up later with a list of potential objectives to complete.

12. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    #32 Doom, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Would some animation of the block work while jumping?..warps into another shape or something while in jump and back after? Just a thought so player really knows he/she is doing something..

and a times played counter is a must..

13. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    A visual feedback to match 'screen touched' status? Feedback always help. Will need to think about it

Indeed...perhaps by the scores board

14. yells

yells Member

Jan 28, 2013
    To add a screen which show blocks to avoid, block to collect e t.c. may be? Just small screen like a tutorial before game?

15. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Given the game simplicity, I was considering passing info on iTunes screenshots: touch the screen to jump, collect yellow coins, avoid red enemies.

But yeah you're right, that's something to ponder about and this information has to be conveyed one way or another.

Power-ups would be to unlock so they'd be introduced through shop.

16. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    XperimentalZ, hi, thanks for build. Add please to dailies pause screen "main menu" button

17. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Have managed to spend some time on this so will give my thoughts.

I think there needs to be some indication as to which blocks kill you as at first I was confused as some blocks didn't kill me and some did.
    I think achievments would be good idea, I found this difficult and I think some people might give up whereas if there are achievments that can be gained without reaching the end then it offers a but of incentive to carry on.

Upgrades would be good too, esp for speed as for me, it seemed like the brick didn't move fast enough for me and on jumps he didn't land as far as I thought it would, resulting in death.

I'll play some more this afternoon and come back with more thoughts. I'm enjoying myself.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    So far as i read through the thread the feedback has been generally positive. Cant wait for this game to go live.

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Don't know what to think about the idea with power-ups and upgrades. I really like the game as it is now. It would be cool to have them in a seperate game mode with seperate leaderboards

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes achievements is a must. So far the reactions about the game have been good so I think it would justify putting even more efforts into the game. We'll proceed with the objectives system and some of these objectives will be linked to achievements.

Well I should say the procedural approach makes it hard to eliminate unfair situations. We'll keep trying to pin down configurations impossible to pass. If you see such situations in dailies, let us know. Since we can reproduce them, we can use them to hunt them down and eliminate them.

I was split on this question from the beginning and I expect people to be too: some like goals, some like the 'pure' minimalistic hardcore approach.

Kinda everyone would like achievements/objectives, but if we follow the following chain of logic: objectives are needed to give a broader sense of purpose and add a dimension to the game. Objectives without rewards can feel a bit pointless. Rewards without upgrades is pointless. So we need both objectives and upgrades.

We'll try to come-up with a universal solution to satisfy everyone: power-ups which do not change the score balance by a wild factor. If this does not work, we could add something like an option to play without power-ups to score on a hardcore leaderboard.